Which wine figure past or present would you have liked to have dinner with?

hangover guaranteed

He died in 1973, so that would make you, um, mature and well inside your tertiary phase, right? [wow.gif]

Abraham Izak Perold - the creator of the Pinotage grape.

I had dinner with him well after that (1980’ish). Not one on one, unfortunately. He died in the late '80’s, as I recall. Fascinating man

Oh shoot, you are right. Doh. 1973 was “that” other momentous year, lol.

Wasn’t thinking quickly enough, which ain’t anything new.

Justin Smith, here about my favourite wine

I could easily say Bacchus…God of Wine…but hell…I would REALLY like to hang and pound a few with Manfred!!

I can’t decide between Émile Peynaud and André Tchelistcheff, so I’d invite them both, and ask that they bring one bottle each.

JH and RP when they were just drinking wine. I’d pour them thin and acidic wine before the IPOB mvmt was conceived and stop it before it starts… But then again I hate ‘food’ wines too much to not have a Machiavellian angle on this…

Martin Ray…

TTT

Orson Welles.

Phil Jones
Portland, OR

Len Evans.

Mario Soldati, hands down.

Henri Bonneau without a doubt. I’m so upset I never got to meet him before he passed.

I came to post this and you beat me to it [wow.gif]

Frank Schoonmaker

Very interesting question.
I would invite :

• Prince de Conti who bought the land which is now Romanée Conti for his own consumption
  • Mr Duvault Blochet who bought Romanée Conti in mid 19th century
  • Aimé Salon, who bought the land which became champagne Salon, just for his own consumption

To discuss with the three about the reasons of their buy would be exciting.

That would be very cool indeed.

Jancis

“Dude, stop with the sermons. Stop being so ‘holier than thou.’ Seriously, you’re bringing down the room.”