Which will be better: Champagne question updated

+1 90 Cristal.

90 Cristal has been at its peak IMO for a few years and is beautiful today. It will continue to drink well and change over time, but I can’t see it being any better than it is today. A great example of maturing Champagne caught at its apex.

"We answered all of your questions, and as requested, took the time to give you advice and recommendations. After spending a fair amount of time (over multiple email exchanges) counseling you, we have not received an (answer)

Respectfully, I don’t think we’re your best option going forward."

Sorry I just had to…pick a Bubbles and go with it. Enjoy it and the time you are spending with the person. You’re over thinking it :slight_smile:

thanks—there are so many opinions to choose from! Regardless, it will be fun. Just praying nothing is corked or oxidized.

You’re right of it it flawed bring a back up bottle and if you’re having a blast pop the next one!!

How did it go??

brought 4 wines to Mélisse. Did the 7 course prix fixe and really enjoyed it. The great somm there Matthew was over the moon about the wines: 96 Salon, 04 Ramonet Batard, 01 DRC RSV, and 72 Arnoux Suchots. All were delicious and open. Salon was decanted, served in white wine glasses. The wife of my friend didn’t care for champagne or whites and ordered an off the wine list Cal Cab. The friend was impressed, really enjoyed the wines, especially after Matthew talked up DRC and explained its significance in Burg hierarchy.

The Salon was a great bottle, the Ramonet was on fire, DRC young but so fresh and full of life, power, elegance. The Suchots was fading, very tertiary but fun.

Saved the 90 Cristal for my wife and me—she loves aged Champagne.

Glad it worked out. Can’t really lose with a good bottle of ‘96 Salon. Off the charts.

I have to say that in the face of ‘96 Salon and a 2004 Ramonet Grand Cru, both drinking well, the most remarkable statement is: “The wife of my friend didn’t care for champagne or whites . . . .”

How was the food?

food excellent w exemplary food and wine service. Paced perfectly and I liked the touch that each chef who prepared the course came out to explain it. Beautiful venue also.

Nice ending with some of us having high expectations for the ones that were not opened. Happy the 96` Salon showed good as that has been one of the all time best IMHO. The Ramonet had to be at least the co-WOTN.

Sounds like i’ve missed the deadline here, but my fave 90 would be a mag of 90 dom ruinart rose. I find it can go toe to toe with Dom rose in 90. Just a wine i’ve always had a sweet spot for (though the 750s are not nearly as fresh).

That elusive 01 DRC RSV…