Which will be better: Champagne question updated

Comtes!

hell, I might just go w 96 Salon instead. Thanks for the opinions.

Krug :wink:

Comtes.

You want to open 90 Salon on your own. If it’s shagged, no-one needs to know.

If it’s as good as it can be, you don’t want to share it with anyone else.

Brilliant as it is, 96 Salon has a bit to go before its in that truly aged category IMO.

The 1996 Salon is lovely, albeit a bit young, and does not share the reliability issues of the 1990.

-Al

Alan,

90 Comtes is the better choice and if stored well will be a very creamy, honey kissed, enjoyable wine. It isn’t a great Comtes, but it is a damn fine wine.

There are probably very good bottles of 90 Salon out there, but I haven’t had one in about 10 years. In general, I think Salon currently is the most overrated (or worst value) Champagne out there. I do like the 96 Salon and think it will age well and the 97 is great to drink now, but I don’t think any Salon from 95 or before is worth the risk and the 99-06 vintages don’t seem to have the stuffing to age and are rather precocious in their style which is worrisome.

I was just checking the 96 price yesterday. Thinking of selling…

Yeah, look at the magnum price.

-Al

I have a third choice—since 90 Salon isn’t reliable and 90 Comtes is very good and not great, how about 90 Krug?

Obviously they are stylistically different, but I don’t think '90 Krug is great or any better than '90 CdC.

I’d do Krug, unless your fourth choice is VVF 90.

A lot of 1990s are inconsistent in how they are aging - even across the same wine. I have had a few wonderful 1990 Krugs and also a few that were further along than I would like. This holds true for the Collection release too. A lot of bottle variation in this wine and plenty more 1990s such as Sir Winston Churchill, Grande Dame, DP, etc… In general, the 1990s have matured more quickly than expected especially those with a good amount of Pinot Noir though there are exceptions. Just about everything Roederer did in 1990 is lights out good with the Cristal being one of the best vintages of that wine.

I will say this about 1990 Comtes - it is consistent and it is very good.

Complete change of topic, but for more recent older vintages that I think are really shining right now across the board: 1982 is drinking great from just about any quality producer and 1985 is in a good spot too.

Thanks Brad. Glad I’m not the only one to feel the same.

totally overrated. i wish more people feel the same and focus on other producers.

'82 and forward they are definitely in the conversation.
In the prior two decades, it’s a totally different story.

I sense sarcasm.

moi? noooh

:wink:

there was no love for 90 Salon and it was tepid here for Taittinger. Will throw others in the mix since I want a wow Champagne—will likely bring a 96 Salon. Also have one remaining b of 88 Krug, have 90 Cristal, 96 Krug, 96 Winston as options. Will probably save the Krug for wife and me, though. Any thoughts?

Taittinger. I loved it.

'90 Cristal.

'96 Krug is great but I wouldn’t describe it as an “older” example of Champagne.