Which Washington wine are you drinking?

Another very nice bottle from my auction “mystery pack”:

2008 Woodinville Wine Cellars O.M.O. - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (1/17/2023)
14.8% abv. Purchased from a "mystery pack" at a recent auction. 67% Petite Verdot, 33% Malbec. Only 76 cases produced. Cork came out in one piece and was barely stained at all.
Very good showing, as this was open and generous (unlike the note from 2012). Unfiltered fleshy mouthfeel, as evidenced with lots of fine, suspended particulates. Rich and ripe fruit with plenty of depth that was fully integrated in a way that only age can bring. Plenty of tart acidity, falling just short of aggressive, but this gave freshness and lift, especially on the second day (vacuum sealed overnight at room temp). Flavor profile speaks of Bordeaux, but with telltale new world ripeness. Really enjoyed this. In a great spot now, but should hold for a few more years at least if well stored. (92 points)

1 Like

The Substance cab is outstanding at that price point. The Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc were disappointing. I really enjoy the Chateau St. Michelle Horse Heaven Hills SB for $10.

1 Like

Well, you win some and you lose some. This wasn’t bad perse, just not what I was hoping it would be.

TN: 2013 Walla Walla Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley

• 2013 Walla Walla Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (1/23/2023)
    I was really, really excited to open this bottle. I like the 2013 in Washington for Cabs and Cab-blends a lot, and 7-10 years is a great window for most WA Cabs, for my palate. Unfortunately, this disappointed. There was nice fruit, which was expected and enjoyed, but the oak really stuck out. I'm typically pretty oak tolerant, but my wife and I found this to be too much, and in a way that I don't see getting any better with more bottle time. It was, however, elegant and well-balanced with regard to fruit, acid, tanning, and alcohol. It was just too oaky, darn it. Drink now.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Opened another fantastic bottle of Delille Chaleur Estate White over the weekend:

• 2011 DeLille Cellars Chaleur Estate Blanc - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (1/28/2023)
    This was absolutely delicious. The color was still a light, pale yellow and didn't show any obvious signs of age. The nose and palate also belied its 11/12-year bottle age. The only giveaway was a delicious peach/stone fruit note amidst the lemon and jasmine notes. Absolutely delicious and in no sign of decline. Age these! (93 points)

At the same dinner, and equally fantastic red:

• 2010 Maison Bleue Gravière Upland Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley Snipes Mountain (1/28/2023)
    This was just awesome, and right at peak I think. That said, the structure of the wine will most certainly support further development, as there is still also strong fruit. Not decanted. The nose and palate were so complex on this: a myriad of spices, blackberry, plum skin, and some herbal/earthiness underneath. The 2010 wines from Washington continue to shine...I wish there were more frequent "cold" vintages, as they're just awesome when done well. Sad this was my lone bottle of this. (93 points)

1 Like

You can be quiet about these, I am always on the lookout and they are always around $20-30 at auctions. Please delete! :joy:

2 Likes

Those early Maison Bleue wines are a huge influence on the type of Grenache I strive to make now.

2 Likes

Nice, John. It was so damn good.

2020 Two Vintners O.G (extended maceration Gewürztraminer) Olsen vyd, Yakima Vly AVA
Clear very light-orange tinged with yellow. Classic gewürztraminer lychee, rose water, floral with a somewhat more phenolic character than usual no doubt due to the extended maceration. Skin contact character is not at all overdone. Very similar to the 2019 from what I recall. Absolutely delightful and a real joy to drink. I would buy this every year if I could. 4- (out of 5).

I’ve had the 2019 and 2020 versions of this wine, multiple bottles each, and I’m really impressed by it. I’d love to see more winemakers in WA trying extended skin contact. Morgan Lee, who I have to think is one of the top ten WA winemakers, hit it out of the park coming up with this cuvee.

NV Treveri Blanc de Noirs light salmon color with a nose of strawberry, rhubarb, and red apple. Palate is bright with red fruits and good acidity.

2013 Boudreaux Cellars Wallula Syrah nice melange of red and black fruits with medium acidity and a palate with medium tannins and notes of black fruits and olive.

1 Like

Enjoyed this a couple of weeks ago. We visited them in 2017 and joined their club for about 2 years. If it was $20 less it would be a killer QPR.

What AVA is that syrah? I’m wondering where the grapes came from. Benches? Can’t read the label on my phone. Thanks

Wallula Vineyard is in Horse Heaven Hills.

1 Like