Which vintages of Burgundy are you drinking in 2016?

Red Burg to Drink in 2016.png
Much appreciate all of the responses. At the present, the favored vintage to drink in 2016 appears to be 2000, although right behind it are 1991, 1993, 2001, 2002 and 2007. After that, there is considerable support for 1990 and 1995. (I didn’t make the valid distinction between Village, Premier and Grand Cru.)

This is exactly the kind of collective wisdom I was looking for from WB. I think I’ll be on the lookout for some 2007: seems to be the most recent vintage that is approachable now.

My Excel chart making skills are a bit rusty, but my understanding of how to cut and paste from Excel to WB is even more limited. I hope the chart above is visible.

Thanks.

Certainly '07 is very drinkable with most village level bottles, and some 1ere Cru level Burgundies too. We’ve discussed how this was the vintage that turned the tide toward younger approachability with some producers like Faiveley. [cheers.gif]

However, let me give you some advice (as I wave my hand slowly ): 2007 is not the vintage you are looking for. Go about your business.
these aren't the droids you're looking for.jpg
… that is, until I’m done stocking up on that year. neener

PS - nice chart. Turn it sideways and you have a basic cartoon city skyline.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll return the 2007 Charmes-Chambertin that I had just bought today, besides its Grand Cru and not ready in any case.

For whites, I will be concentrating on 1999s - 2002s

Of course, this is mostly determined by what you have, rather than what you’d like to drink in theory, I think.

In a perfect world, I’d be drinking anything from the '80s; '91 and 2000 only, with 1990 only sparingly, as they could be still on the upward slope for a bit more, IMO. '95 is drinkable, as are many '96s, but…not “there” yet, based on a couple of the latter this month. '99 (as well as '98)…is, for me…still too undeveloped…as is anything I’ve had after 2000. And, 2002 and 2005 have so much potential with aging…like 1999…that I think having them now are a bit of a shame given that potential to age into beauties…

All this reflects my sad realization that RB takes a heck of a lot longer to show their best than I had ever imagined when i started buying. Of course, “best” is semantics…and…“drinking too early” being “a shame” is also very subjective…at some point beyond infancy/childhood.

But…excpet for 1997 and 2000, I am not wanting to “drink” anything after 1992 in 2016, though I will-- more out of curiosity than expectation of maturity/reward.

You’ve got that right. I’m still looking wistfully at most of my collection. OTOH I’m drinking quite a lot of some low level 2013 red Burgundys (like Mercureys) for their wonderful Pinosity.

Although I opened 2 or 3 2007, 2003 and 2001 - the most satisfying bottles were 2000 and older, especially 97 and some 95 are really good now. I will leave most 99, 96 and 93 for a while. Almost everything from 1992 and older is mature, with the exception of the strongest 1990.

I went a long time (nearly 10 years) buying zero Bourgogne. I started up again because I need to have something to drink while I wait! At least with basic Bourgogne, even if it can benefit from age, I don’t feel like I am really robbing the cradle.

The first vintage where I really bought Burgundy in any quantity was 2002, so other than taking a peek every once in a while I am waiting on pretty much everything.

2002 - always. A generous vintage.
2007. I’m not sure these have, will or need to shut down. I’ve been on a steady diet of wines from Volnay.

Otherwise, I usually skim a bottle or two a year from most vintages from 1999-present. I don’t think I’ve dipped into anything newer than 2011, but I’ve got some ideas.

I’m still laying off 1999 (I don’t have many anyway and at this point I’ll hold to 20 years). I’m not drinking my top 2002s. I’m laying off my 2005s, except for some villages-level wines. I’m not opening 2009s and 2010s. My do not open list is longer than my open list.

I love that last sentence, Scott. Even after 33 years years of buying and aging RB, my “do not open list” is still longer, sadly. The temptation to keep wines until I am “sure” they are likely “ready”, combined with the after-acquired knowledge that these wines take a whole lot longer to reach that stage than I had ever thought…make me glad I stopped buying in 2007…and that I can hopefully reach a point where my “open” list is longer than my “do not open” list. But, it hasn’t happened yet…and is not near, I fear, with so much 1995, 1996, 1999, 1998, 2001, 2002 and 2005 sitting in my cellar. I certainly check in on these vintages (even a couple of 2005s over the last couple of years), but…am certainly trying not to “drink” them. I know too well the rewards for patience and discipline, and am often reminded of those rewards.

Scott, “I” was going to “say” the same “thing” about your “do not open list”. My “theory” is that wine geeks are “more” addicted to “buying” than we like to “admit”.

Hey, can anyone else visualize Stuart doing the “finger quote” motion every time he uses quotation marks? Does anyone have a picture of him so I can get an accurate image in my head while I read his posts?

[video]- YouTube

Please stop stalking me, Dennis.

I have a picture of Stuart, but I feel it’s best if you don’t know what I look like, especially since you seem to live in the metropolitan area I live in…or used to…I am moving tomorrow.

It’s okay Stuart - I know that you probably feel “actually” threatened because some one “virtually” teases you, but I promise not to “hurt” you or “bully” you anymore. At least you haven’t gone down the total “pussroute” and threatened to sue me.

Hopefully, scientists will be able to genetically modify your skin so it’s thicker soon enough.

Have a safe move / trip! I bet that the Philadelphia metro area will feel a little less whiney in under 48 hours.

As you know, Dennis, this isn’t the first time I’ve brought this up.

My skin is plenty thick; I just look at this and other boards as being vehicles for posting on subject…not on other posters’ quirks.

I will send you a postcard from the WB “poster protection” service when I get to my new destination…in the meantime I’ll be on edge until I can send the poster-cards from the edge.

I look like Bono (I mean Beauno) by the way. U-too?

The Edge

Okay, now this is funny! The Beauno part especially.

I look like Howie Mandell actually.
Howie Mandel-ADB-026753.jpg
Even more Howie-esque is my voice. It’s nearly identical.

I’m not convinced…but…thanks for the warning.

You look more like Chris Christie, to me…and that’s scary.

This absolutely describes my situation. Too late starting to buy Burgundy, so while I can drink older-ish Bordeaux I don’t have that many options in Burgundy. On the positive side it makes me more open to drinking one bottle of a wine young, and I’ve really enjoyed a bunch of them.

I went to a stunning comparative tasting of 01s and 02 Grand Crus and top 1er Crus (weakest flight was Gouges vs. Chevillon LSG) yesterday. My cellar is already very weak that far back, and while most of them are pretty rewarding to drink they clearly have a long way to run. I need to find some good backfilling sources.

Good Burgundy keeps getting more and more expensive, particularly in the rear view mirror. As I think the fuss is about “mature” red Burgundy, if I were in your situation , I would spend my money on some that are in that category. Often, older vintages are no more expensive than current ones.

When I started visiting and collecting Burgundy, I thought ten years was fine for most wines to “mature”. But, now, I think they need at least 20 to mature. Of course, not all wines warrant the effort. But, drinking young Burgundy that is expensive, IMO, misses most of the reason it is so worth the effort to cellar. Burgundy can offer so much, and the lovely character from age is a huge component of that potential.

I’m in 100% agreement with Stuart on this point. I’ve had some fine young bottles of Burgundy, but it just isn’t the same as a properly aged & resolved bottle.

We’ve had threads on good sources for backfilling, but I’ll throw a few in now: Belmont Wine Exchange, CellaRaiders, and Hart Davis Hart are some of the places I’ve had good luck with 10+ year old bottles. I’ve even gotten quite a few nice older bottles from Wine Bid and Zachy’s. Lots of good resellers out there!

Becoming British? [cheers.gif]

…or slowed down consumption and trying to drink up left overs