which syrahs are retirement worthy?

Lol. You haven’t tried South African Syrah or from other New World countries (that doesn’t just mean the States, you know?!)

Edit: I missed Marcus’ post above when I wrote this.

I have tried many of the years, none that made me a repeat buyer. That does not mean I did not enjoy some.

I have found this with Cab Franc as well. I love Cab Franc, but rarely buy any outside of Bordeaux and Loire. And yes, I have tried many from all over. Raats from South Africa is an exception, an excellent Cab Franc expressing solid typicity. Interestingly, their so-called luxury cuvee (Mvemve Raats de Compostella), in prior vintages I tried, is over-oaked and tastes like something Rolland might have made. Stick to their $30 base Cab Franc. They make a less expensive bottling called Jasper that is quite nice. And their sub-$15 unoaked Chenin Blanc is lovely.

I love Syrah and I bought many on your list, but I am also scaling back with impending retirement around the corner.

I decided the best bang for the buck for my tastes are Jaffurs and Bedrock. Their Syrahs are different from each other and I feel I get the best of southern and northern CA with their offerings.

I dropped Alban a couple years ago and just stopped buying Saxum. For more than double the price of Jaffurs or Bedrock, I just wasn’t getting double the enjoyment.

Lucia -Susan’s Hill Syrah (Section of Pisoni Vineyard) is amazing stuff at $60 a bottle.