Which Cru Beaujolais are you drinking?

2015 Marcel Lapierre Morgon:

Ruby red in color. 13% ABV. Charming nose of red fruits, earth and flowers. Medium body with exquisite acidity. Fresh and crisp. Incredibly elegant. Cherries, cranberries, baking spices and soil on the palate. Medium length on the finish. Such a pleasure to drink. Best over the next 3-5 years.

My rating: 92 points.

Full review on Zinfandel Chronicles - 2015 Marcel Lapierre Morgon - Bottle Notes | Zinfandel Chronicles

Just bought the 2020 that has creeped up in price to about $45. Not the value it used to be but still hard to go wrong.

Cheers, Tom
IMG_2146-scaled-e1644934909149.jpg

2019 Pierre-Marie Chermette Moulin-à-Vent Les Trois Roches - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Moulin-à-Vent (2/19/2022)
Nice nose with ripe berries (mostly red) and plenty of florals. It drinks nicely with good fruit concentration and nice zippy acidity. It lacks a little structure, complexity and length. This is an easy going Moulin-à-Vent with no noticeable oak treatment. It should handle mid-term cellaring well and hopefully show a little more depth with some age. I’ll give my next one 3 years. Enjoyable.

I’ve been a fan of Cru Beaujolais for just a handful of years now, and I’ve accumulated a stash of many of the typically celebrated wines here and elsewhere (Thivin, Bouland, Foillard, Burgaud, Roilette, etc.). Thanks to William Kelley’s terrific recent update on Beaujolais, I’m confident many of the wines I’m after are still reliable purchases. However, I’m new to a few names, including the extreme praise for the wines of Jules Desjourneys (Fabien Duperray). Are these impossible to find in the US, or can one find them without being best friends with a wine store operator? There was a reference in the notes to delayed releases, so what years are being released recently?

Also, while nobody likes to see their value play region admonished for not charging enough, I appreciated the explanation in the article and the argument that many producers can’t stay in the same pricing strata without eventually hurting quality of their own product and that of the region over time. It might not be what readers want to hear, but it is appreciated to see an argument for what William thinks the readers need to hear.

I enjoy all of Anne Sophie Dubois Fleurie offerings and did a '19/'20 side-by-side this weekend. Gorgeous labeling too!
IMG_20220805_173057448_HDR.jpg

1 Like

How were they?

Very nice, but I didn’t take any notes. I would say that the 2020 Les Cocottes was in the best spot, followed by the 2019 L’alchimiste. The 2019’s had a bit more earthiness to them than the 2020’s.

1 Like

Pierre-Marie Chermette 2013 Fleurie Poncie
Simple and sorta boring. Maybe it would’ve been better a couple of years ago, but maybe not. Ok for a Wednesday night.

2017 Lapierre Morgon drinking much as Tom Lee described the 2015. Everything in its place for this to hold and develop but I doubt any of my remaining bottles see their tenth birthday.

Cheers,
fred

1 Like

Domaine A.F. Gros Moulin-a-Vent En Mortperay 2020

I have only started drinking Beaujolais in last couple years, so I only have accesses to some younger vintages. I love the AF Gros moulin-a-vent, silky and creamy texture, plenty of cranberry and strawberry notes. Delicious!

1 Like

After a tasting, my wife bought a case of the 2020 Daniel Bouland Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Mélanie as part of her regular mahjong Wednesdays. I tried a bit around a month ago. I asked her to buy another case or two. Very good casual red to have at home (I particularly like it with grilled/roasted pork chops). Cheap too at the equivalent of US$30/bottle.
B04413C6-1A04-4CF0-9E80-68C2848030BB.jpeg

‘18 Coudert VV last night seemed off. Was expecting a juicier, fleshy wine. 5 more to go.

1 Like

Listed by price: low ($16) to high ($43)

Michel Guignier Beaujolais 2020
Pierre-Marie Chermette Beaujolais Griottes 2020
Jean-Paul Brun Domaine des Terres Dorées Beaujolais L’Ancien Vieilles Vignes 2020
G. Descombes Beaujolais-Villages 2020
D. Coquelet Chiroubles 2019
Domaine des Billards St.-Amour 2020
Nicole et Romain Chanrion Domaine de la Voûte des Crozes Côte-de-Brouilly 2019
Christophe Pacalet Moulin-à-Vent 2020
Jean Foillard Beaujolais-Villages
Clos Bateau Beaujolais Lantignié May Ga 2020
Anne-Sophie Dubois Fleurie Les Labourons 2020
M. & C. Lapierre Morgon 2021

2017 Marcel Lapierre Morgon S from a magnum. Delicious!

2 Likes

Opened a case of 2019 Foillard Villages. Not classified Cru, but who are we kidding?

2020 Thivin La Chapelle. Great!

• 2019 Yann Bertrand Fleurie Phenix - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (3/31/2023)
    Some wines are just joyous and gregarious in nature. Fun to have around consume. A bit like a well curated playlist in the background, always on point and you can tune in and out at your leisure. There's no pomp or circumstance required, other than to enjoy it. If you want to dive closer and get serious, you can—and there's plenty of interest to be had by doing so. Light on its feet, supple tannins, bright acidity and lively red fruit aromas of cherries and raspberries. A fair amount of potpourri notes with dried orange rind and dried flowers. Split the bottle with a friend. Did not last long. Is session wine a thing like it is in beer? Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

ABV: 13%
    Stem: Zalto Burgundy
    Closure: natural cork
    Decant: n/a

Not a session beer at 13%, try a smaller glass.

I’ve been loving the wines from Yann Bertrand and Pierre Cotton. IMO, they’re among the best being produced in the region and every bit as good as Lapierre and Folliard.

1 Like

Well, it’s not a beer to start :sweat_smile:. I meant it more in the sense that it was light, both in body and ABV (I’d put 13% in the lower end of the ABV spectrum for reds), and very easy drinking.

Ultimate ‘session wines’ (I still feel weird using that term) for me still remains old school, low abv, high acid kabi rieslings

1 Like

Now a bottle of those you can drink a whole bottle yourself.

1 Like