Which Cru Beaujolais are you drinking?

Drank a 2016 Maison L’Envoye Morgon Cote du Py, great nose of wet cement, red fruits, and a very crunchy palate. $12 at Costco.

Opened a 2018 Clos de la Roilette Fleurie this evening. I let it aerate in the wine glasses while my wife prepared dinner: meatloaf with a tangy sweet ketchup sauce, with a side of quartered and fried small potatoes. I guess this bottling is Coudert’s “Fleurie Ordinaire”, but it was an impressive wine for me and it provided good drinking with the meal. Dark fruit, dusty and savory, a bit of pleasant chewiness. Looking forward to drinking and enjoying the rest of it over the next couple or few days.

P.S. Though I haven’t had many Fleurie, this doesn’t seem to fit the my stereotype idea of the Cru

Funny you should mention that last bit:

Alain Coudert pouring
The lineup of wines
“Alain Coudert’s Clos de la Roilette is a longtime favorite Fleurie producer whose wines should not be overshadowed by newer, more faddish names.” -Eric Asimov, The New York Times, April 2016

Considered one of the finest producers in Beaujolais, Clos de la Roilette has 9 hectares in Fleurie, with one of the top slopes in all of the ten Beaujolais crus. The Clos has an eastern exposure, borders the Moulin-à-Vent appellation, and yields remarkably age-worthy Gamay. In the 1920’s, when the Fleurie appellation was first created, the former landowner was infuriated with losing the Moulin-à-Vent appellation under which the estate had previously been classified. He created a label using a photograph of his racehorse Roilette and used the name Clos de la Roilette, without mentioning Fleurie. By the mid-1960s, the owner’s heirs had lost interest in Roilette, and a large portion of the land had been allowed to go untended and wild. In 1967, Fernand Coudert bought this poorly maintained estate and replanted the vineyards. His son Alain joined him in 1984 and has been the winemaker since. The Couderts feel that their particular terroir (mainly clay and manganese) and the age of their vines (30 to 80 years old) account for the richness and intensity of their wines. They are deeply colored, richly perfumed and seriously structured wines of relatively small production.

3 Likes

Opened a ‘10 Roilette Tardive last night. Really drinking well, especially after 30 min.

Been crushing 2019 Laurent Perrachon Morgon “Corcelette” when in Seattle recently, crazy value for $17 and loaded with crunchy red fruits and wet cement (rain soaked) thanks to Garagiste.

“Zachy’s deal” - Isnt that an oxymoron?

2012 Metras Fleurie. Cloudy, with funky bruised raspberry and cranberry. The funk improved a little with air. Either I don’t like Metras, or perhaps I’ve only had slightly off bottles. The only way I’ll find out is by trying someone else’s, because I’m not buying anymore.
E5E3393C-24B2-4CB7-91F2-257664BB02D9.jpeg

• 2019 Domaine Dubost Moulin-à-Vent En Brenay - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Moulin-à-Vent (10/23/2021)
    I’ll just say it upfront. This is fantastic. Decanted in Zalto burgundy glass for a few hours, bottle left open.

Deep purple color. Intense and powerful nose of deep cherry, hints of rhubarb, slightly rocky, and purple flowers. Palate is lively with plenty of acid, tart raspberry, flowers, rocky salinity, and gentle tannins. Finish is rocky, lilacs, violets, blackberry leaf, and plummy notes.

A real stunner. Moulin-à-Vent is some serious, muscular Bojo. Great now with air, will be sublime in 5 years. Absolutely will be buying more. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Warren, I can relate. Metras has been highly variable for me. While the good bottles are lovely, there are other more consistent producers.

1 Like

2017 Baptiste et Laurent Le Meilleur des 2 Mondes (Morgon)

Brush, sage, raspberries, pomegranate and orange zest. Lightweight and savory, 13$ from Costco. 12.5% ABV. Going back for more.

3EFF8EA0-36FD-430B-BEA1-6CD48F50E763.jpeg
Excellent. Years helped but I think it’s time. Loved the Christmas spices in this wine. May pop some for the holidays, I have some magnums.

6 Likes

I’ve got 2019 teed up to try still. I bought a 4-pack but in the short-term drinking queue I have one to share and one not to share.

1 Like

2014 Domaine Richard Rottiers Moulin-a-Vent Dernier Souffle

Enjoyed over 3 nights, no decanting. Really liked it. When drinking it I thought of the comment I seen quite some times that with time Gamay can start to take on a PN resemblance. The wet stone/gravel note I associate with Morgon usually, was maybe one giveaway. While very fruit youthful it had a sneaky tannin grip growing in intensity over time.

1 Like

Love this wine, but it sure takes its time reaching a drinking window. I’ve shifted toward the Tardive in my purchases; the '14 Tardive is singing these days.

Cheers,
Warren

2018 chateau du Moulin-à-Vent. Pretty good already, but could use some more time in the cellar.

2015 Guy Breton Morgon Vielles Vignes.

Crimson in color. 14% ABV. Pretty nose of red fruits, spice box, lavender and soil. Medium body with exquisite acidity. Light and refreshing with an appealing earthy quality. Cherry, cranberry, blood orange and earth on the palate. Nice length on the finish. Charming Beaujolais that I could drink most any night of the week. I rushed off and ordered the recently released 2020 upon tasting this. Best over the next 2-3 years.

My rating: 92 points.

Full review on Zinfandel Chronicles - 2015 Guy Breton Morgon Vielles Vignes - Bottle Notes | Zinfandel Chronicles

Cheers, Tom
IMG_1726-scaled-e1638887535896.jpg

1 Like

Just my 2 cents, but the 2017 griffe du marquis has been a crowd pleaser everything I opened one (3 times now).

2 Likes

Right now at least, it’s better than 2019.

First bottle corked. Backup was so fine. I love the '11 and '14 Roilettes. This was a '14. I’m not sure why the image quality degraded so severely on upload.
All Photos - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg

1 Like

2011 Roilette drank in 2019 indeed made me buy other years - I think 2018 could turn out similar but just my feeling. But I am afraid my 18s will not survive so long.

1 Like