Shoulda spend a lil more for Marc Hebrart ![]()

Bummer, man. Despite my lack of surprise, I have to say — I’d probably buy a few at $32, too. For whatever reason, the extra 25% up to $40 makes it an easy pass for me ($5 less than $40 gets me my house pour, Aubry; $12 more gets me my next house pour, Laherte’s Brut Nature … ) But $32? That’s acceptable for me — for those times when we just need some decent bubbles and aren’t really paying attention to them. ![]()
Extracted from a thread just posted: 5 wines tasted blind at dinner: NV Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve, 2023 Joseph Colin En Remilly, 2014 PYCM En Remilly, 2018 Troplong Mondot, 2013 Gaja Sperss
NV PIERRE PETERS CUVEE de RESERVE BLANC de BLANC- blind; this had a light yellow color and offered aromas that included fresh and ripe citrus fruit with some tangerine and peach in the background; eventually a big hit of lemon continued on through dominantly and it was the last thing experienced on the palate; from the first sip and for the first few minutes thereafter, I experienced explosive little hits on the palate from its bright acidity lending to a tangy, zingy, zippy mouthfeel whcdih eventually dissipated; after 10 minutes or so, I got a hint of black pepper and some mint that reminded me of Piper Heidsieck Rare; whatever it was, it was a wowzer of a champagne and once revealed, I was surprised to discover it’s a champagne I have had many bottles of in the past, but all were much more mellow and easy on the palate from the outset; this is a blend of more than 20 years of harvests and is exclusively composed of Chardonnay from Grand Cru villages in the Côte des Blancs. I was unable to find out what the base vintage was, but it was disgorged in Oct. 2017 and dosed somewhere between 6 and 8 gpl.
Cheers,
Blake
It’s what I get if they don’t have Roederer 246 or whatev is up. Like Veuve but with a bit crisper delivery. Pretty good for the price point. I’m a fan.
Frédéric Savart L’année 2011 Extra-Brut
60% PN, 40% Chard, 3.5g/l, disgorged June 2015.
Last time I had this was 2018.
Initial thoughts: nice evolved nose with mirabelles, ripe citrus, quince, button mushroom, damp earth and caramel. The palate is holding nicely with bright citrusy acidity, good mid-palate concentration, nice finish with assertive mineral cut. Very nice.
At it opens up with air and time, it veers a little evolved. I have high tolerance for oxydation and strong tertiary aromas so I kept on liking it but keep that in mind. More caramel on the nose, richer on the palate, less minerality on the finish and more ripe quince.
Drink up.
This evening, a wine that many have mentioned here, although I can’t find this specific disgorgement.
- NV Georges Laval Champagne Extra Brut Garennes - France, Champagne (25/09/2026)
A blend of meunier, chardonnay and pinot noir with a base vintage of 2021 and reserves going back to 2013. Vinification in oak barrels. Disgorged 2 August 2023, dosage 1g/l.
On the nose: orchard, vanilla, brioche a little citrus - quite rich.
On the palate: crisp entry, then a slightly richer mid-palate following the nose. Very clean. But not as rich and mouthfilling as the nose might suggest. Fading to a clean citrus finish.
Overall this is an excellent wine working as an aperitif, but with enough oomph to pair with light food.
Having said that, at the ~US$79 that this cost me, it's OK, but not great QPR for my palate. (91 points)
The 2019 Antoine Bouvet Les Monts de Vallee, now having had it for the third time, is unhinged. I don’t even know what to do at this point - I’m writing about it here because I’ve made the last 3 notes in CT and feel like everyone needs to hear this.
For a wine that I have paid $55-$65, this is the epitome of Blanc de Noir - boisterous red fruit layered with apples, rosehip and cardamom, buttery pastry, chalk and green coffee. Fully open from the pop, no need for additional age/decanting/etc. Electric acidity, but the fruit is so ripe you can’t believe that this is 0g dosage. If, like me, you think that Pinot Noir makes the best Champagne, try slotting this in with your Roses de Jeanne, Egly, Collin Maillons, you name it. You’ll be shocked.
I cannot speak to other vintages or cuvees - I’m afraid that opening the wrong bottle will crush the magic. But this is a truly special value and truly special wine.
This evening my first wine from Rémi Leroy, several of whose wines seemed to go through a phase of being popular in this thread a couple of years ago!
- NV Rémi Leroy Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (25/09/2026)
65/30/5 PN/C/PM. 70% from 2020, 30% from reserves. Disgorged September 2022, dosage 3g/l.
On first opening this was a little harsh on the palate, but it smooths out with maybe 15 minutes air. The appearance is just slightly cloudy.
Then on the nose some unripe strawberries, a little cream, maybe a touch of citrus. The palate has those unripe strawberries, a slightly herbal note, but it is surprisingly light in the mouthfeel after some air. There's some minerality, which becomes not a little drying towards the finish.
Overall, this wine evolves rapidly with a little air. And after 15 minutes or so it works for me as a mineral, fruity, aperitif wine, with its drying and rather more-ish finish. It's not particularly complex, but for the ~US$54 that I paid I can see it being an occasional rebuy. (89 points)
I see occasional posts lamenting the lack of cellared half bottles, so some here might have interest in the 375s of NV Ployez-Jacquemart Champagne Extra Quality Brut for $29 at envoyer. Lots to like at this price, even if the “extra quality” label might suggest otherwise. Nice wine, nice price, useful size for a lunch on the deck
$30*
I really like these (we sell them) too.
I am very curious about the (non-saignée) rose!
I’m dropping by next month. Not sure how much time I have to taste but will try and post some thoughts if I do.
2012 Laurent-Perrier Brut
I opened this yesterday but it wasnt showing all that well, stopper on and left on the fridge for tonight. Has developed very favorable and now shows the usual LP elegance. Remaining holdings to be kept for a few more years.
The last time I was in France, the ’09 Egly Ouriet was the only bottle I brought home, other than a Chartreuse VEP. I love the ’09 vintage in general. It tends to get overlooked coming right after the outstanding ’08s.
A wine I’ve opened more bottles of than any other, 2006 Taittinger Comtes BdB. We brought a magnum to dinner to enjoy ourselves and share with the wait staff and chefs. Slightly reductive and flinty at first, followed by ripe apple, lemon cream, and buttery brioche. This showed a little more sweetness than I’ve noticed in previous bottles, but it was still outstanding. I’m happy to have recently reloaded on these.
Followed by a great show at Mt. Baker Theater; Rock Orchestra
2019 Marc Hébrart Champagne Premier Cru Special Club
This bottle was a gift. Opened with Burmese food. 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay. Disgorged January 2023. 5g/l dosage. Light straw color. A bright and lively Champagne with an aggressive bead. Zippy citrus notes with green apple and chalk. Excellent. I previously had the 2006, 2010, 2012 and 2014 Special Clubs from this house and I rated this the best although the 2006 was close. 95 points.
VM
I had a 2018 of this over the weekend and found it very fruit forward and approachable, which seems a little bit different from your impression (i would not have called it steely or vinous) - what vintage is this?
Another (no picture) champagne - A Lamblot Mouvance (b21), it didn’t really connect with me on first pour and then got too popular with the rest of the group to give it a proper reappraisal but i’ll probably pick up another bottle to try and figure out what I might be missing.









