Where to buy white truffles?

I thought the same thing at first too. Almost makes me want to get a couple different ones to smell the difference.

k.

Not white truffles, but still tasty

[vimeo]18003754[/vimeo]

Great video, Jay!

Truffles were overnighted along with a confirming phone call (even though I only paid for 2 day shipping). They insisted. Simply beautiful. My menu is shaking out as follows:

Fresh tagliatelle (black truffle)
Scrambled eggs (white truffle)
Risotto (white truffle)
Served with 1996 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon

Black truffle skin chicken (finished with white truffle)
Braised short ribs (black truffle)
Served with 1998 Gaja Langhe Nebbiolo Sorì Tildìn

I just shaved the first one (of four) of the black Burgundy truffles to put under the chicken skin. Quite earthy and deeply aromatic.

Meanwhile, the aroma on the white truffles is just explosive. I can’t wait to break into those!

Mmm, that was tasty and a fun experiment: cooking with truffles for the first time.

It is hard to describe just how much more expressive the whites are than the blacks. That said, despite advice otherwise, I did find that some cooking with the blacks really enhanced them. Specifically, I had a bunch of shards that I chopped up and put into the scrambled eggs. (Those were topped with shaved white also.) There was an amazing layer of earthiness from the blacks mixed in with the scramble.

Likewise, the roasted chicken with slices of black truffle under the skin (also topped with shaved white and chicken jus) had an amazing savory depth, the best chicken I have ever tasted or cooked. Of all the dishes, the tagliatelle was the most underwhelming. One of my better pastas, it was charming and clean. Perhaps I should have shaved a ton more black truffle on it. It was OK but not great. Everything that came after blew it away.

Egg, risotto and chicken dishes were all easily some of the best things I have ever cooked. Stupidly simple and just off the charts with the white truffle.

Short ribs were awesome. My wife declared it as the best braised meat I have ever made. But we were all pretty full despite that fact that I made sure the portion on all three of the first courses were small. And since I only had black truffles left (by design), it lacked the fireworks of the white dishes.

As for Sabatino Tartufi, I ordered 1oz of white and 2oz of black. That was delivered as 2 small white truffles and 4 small black truffles. I already mentioned that they upgraded me from 2 day shipping to 1. Had I realized I would have ordered on Thursday for Friday delivery. As it was, having the truffles sit in the fridge for an 2 extra days perhaps didn’t help. One of the whites was a little spongy in one spot. The other was much more firm. Three of the four blacks were great with one also a little spongy. I attribute most of that to holding them for 4 days in the fridge.

Still, as a virginal home cooking truffle splurge, I will do this again in a heartbeat with more white truffles and a smaller, more focused menu. FWIW, I also got a lot more confident and better at using the truffle shaver as the night wore on.

Truly one of life’s most memorable, unusual and great delicacies!

Eric,

On the short ribs, how thin did you shave the truffle and would you think grating it would also work…like Parmesan? Do you apply the truffle last before it goes on the grill? I’ve never cooked with it but will now.

Rick

The short ribs were braised, not grilled. The black truffle was shaved as thin as I could get it through the truffle slicer. I never did try the microplane. The truffle is the last thing to do on after you have put the food on the plate.

You’ve inspired me.

Thanks for sharing. The dishes sound fabulous.

k.

Where/how does one get these coupons? If anyone has a source of them or info in the future please post.

Ate them at Valentino on Saturday. Mediocre. Don’t know the cost, as it was my mother’s 80th and my father is a generous host.

Mark, Much more often than not, I find stateside truffle supplements not worth it. I’d much rather get them for a good home dish.

Wish I read this 1 minute ago. Would have picked 2 day shipping instead of overnight :slight_smile:
Save myself $30 hehe

We have a truffle dinner this Saturday. Six oz. each of black and white. Older bubbles, white burgs and barolos to accompany.

truffle menu november 9, 2013
black burgundy & white alba truffles

amuses
crostini of black truffle+butter
jerusalem artichoke vellutata/black truffle crema

antipasti
tartare of waygu beef/quail’s egg yolk/black truffle
sformatino of porcini or chanterelle/fonduta/white truffle

pasta
egg yolk ravioli/butter+sage/white truffle
(good place to segué into more delicate reds)
petite potato gnocchi/fonduta/white truffle

cappelletti di piccione in brodo/dusting of parmigiano (intermezzo)

carne
brasato di manzo al barolo/polenta con castelmagno/porcini or chanterelle

formaggi misti degli alpi
castelmagno
bra tenero
raschera
paglierino

I was wondering the same…

If you go to the website and sign up for updates they may send them to you.

Well given that I just bought from them, hopefully I am on their list now…

Much Thanks

Special 50% off from Sabatino on white truffles for the next 24 hours. Good until 1pm PST tomorrow. PM for details.

Thanks Eric. Just placed an order.

Just placed my order. And FYI, the 50% off worked not just for truffles but the accessories too. I also ordered a truffle slicer and that was half off too. The shipping was a bitch though.

Thanks for the tip.

k.