Where is the Glasvin of corkscrews?

Seems a ripe area for some trickle-down technology here. I’m looking for a waiter-style corkscrew that feels substantial, looks good but doesn’t cost $200.

Where’s the $50 version that’s just killer across the board?

I think this pretty much fits the bill. I bought this and can say it has good weight, real wood, and is very sturdy.

I’m pretty sure I paid $26 for this and it’s on sale for $12 now. Might have to order a few more.

i have a few of those. they are … fine. they fall apart after some use. they’re cheap and better than the free ones you get at the liquor store.

Good to know! I’ve had mine for about a year or so and haven’t had an issue.

For my own knowledge, can you share examples of higher end corkscrews?

Coutale

1 Like

that’s what i currently have - one of them anyway, i see several models. the pin in the hinge gives out eventually. it’s another decent one, but nothing special.

any of the laguiole en aubrac or, even higher, the code 38. while very different, both feel very dense/solid with amazing fit and finish.

1 Like

Huh, like after a lot of big events? These are my main corkscrews and have opened a couple thousand bottles with the one in my kitchen drawer, it works fine; it’s just hard on older corks.

I have a lagouile but never use it; I don’t like the single lever design.

2 Likes

The HiCoup is my go to as well. Haven’t found a better one for the price.

Barvivo is similar to the HiCoup and also another option at the same discounted price point on Amazon. I really like it for the price. Note to self: Make sure that if you take a road trip with the Barvivo in your laptop case, you take it out before you go through security and try to get on an airplane. :slight_smile:

This site seems to think it is the best of its kind, but I have no idea how trustworthy these reviews are:

Well everything is going to break down eventually but I’ve been using the same one going on like 15 years now.
I did have a bit of Code38 envy at some point but they made it ugly when they re-designed it and the one-step models will never be as useful anyway.

I love my Rabbit. But rarely use it. Basically only for taking out to restaurants. Every day is a sturdy winged butterfly model I’ve been using for the past 18 years and I use my Durand for older bottles.

This one might be fancier for those into CF.

I have dozens of corkscrews, but I generally only use two: my Durand and my Boomerang (Amazon.com).

As mentioned, there are different Coutale models although it’s difficult to understand the differences. I have one of the intermediate models (stainless) and it’s been my day to day corkscrew for a couple of years. I have a Hicoup and don’t like it as well. The Coutale has a better knife blade than many other models. Nothing amazing but I enjoy using it.

-Al

This is the right answer:

William kindly gifted me one of these a couple years ago and I hadn’t had the heart to tell him that it was confiscated by airport security. So I’ve been looking for a replacement for sometime but the wholesaler wineappreciation requires a 300 unit purchase. They can be personalized, so Todd, if you’re reading this, consider making a WB one and sell them. 300 will go fast! As it happens, it looks like individual units have been listed for sale on Amazon.

The piece itself is super solid and sturdy. It’s not as heavy as a Laguiole nor as stiff a mechanism, but I really love the fit and function. Plus it’s made France, clean, and cool as $hit.

I also found this site that has them in a variety of colors:

Farfalli/Vinotive XL

This. Works great everyday for a long time now. Much better than other double-hinged pulls I’ve used. For older bottles or tough corks, I have my Durand or my 20±year old Ah So.

The TRUE versions of Laguiole are the best, The Chateau and En Aubrac, either with an exotic wood is amazing if not cheap.

2 Likes
2 Likes