Where do you buy your wine (online or NY/NJ)

What online stores do you buy your wine? Or any recommendations regarding brick stores in NY City or NJ.
I have been using Wine Library, Wine.com. WL has good prices and I have free shipping pass. WDC has inflated prices but with coupons and cash back can get good price, plus I have free shipping too. Locally have been buying in Bottle King - good variety and prices. Saratoga has impressive inventory but their prices high.

I’ve never thought Saratoga’s prices were especially high. Check EmpireWine as well.

2 Likes

Agree. Saratoga’s prices seem very competitive.

1 Like

Not that they exceptionally high but I almost always was able to get better price elsewhere. Besides their free shipping 12 bottles is often show stopper and many wines are covered by this. Plus they have 6-12 bottles limit on many preorder wines.

Check Wineanthology.com . Also Garys wine and spirits.

1 Like

I like Flatiron Wines in the city for certain things. get on their mailing list

3 Likes

Buy quite a bit from Grapes the wine company. Nice mailing list offers

3 Likes

I’m in North Jersey close to Gary’s Wine and Wine Library. I prefer local shopping at Gary’s, prices are reasonable, they will match prices when appropriate and the service is good. Wine library occasionally gets things on my radar but when I’ve ordered there’s always been a little hiccup. Example, ordered a half case of Rioja but they were only able to produce 4-5 bottles when I arrived at the store to pick up. I ordered a prearrival 2020 Montrose expected on 3/15, I still haven’t received it.

As far as shipping. I like Saratoga. Prices are competitive as others mentioned. Shipping is fast since it’s not far away. Nice selection. I’ll also order from b21 because of shipping rates and reasonable prices during but only during cold months. Plucky wines can have decent stuff on occasion. Will also buy from tkwines, Flickinger and winebid, but shipping isn’t nearly as great as the earlier mentions. I get a lot of backfilled earlier vintage stuff from these. Will also do WDC because of en primeur and the fact I get gift cards there from work bonus points.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will check those stores out. I also shop at Wegmans at times. Good selection of BDX at very good prices.

Try Allendale Wine Shoppe. Should be cose to you too. Great prices, good selection.

I’ve gotten a few things from them for pick up but it’s a bit of a hike for me. Agreed prices are good on the online deals. Haven’t purchased in a while though because of the drive. I’m minutes away from Gary’s so it’s hard to stray. Wine library is on my commute to work so that makes it easier.

Vine republic in mountainside is on my work commute and I’ve taken a flyer on some bdx from them based on wine searcher lows. No complaints.

When I lived in NJ, I shopped locally at WL, Bottle King and Gary’s. I visit a few times a year and always stop by the Bottle King near my family and find a good selection and well priced wines to drink during my stay.

2 Likes

I’m not on the east coast but there is not a nicer guy in the wine biz than Gary so would support him. (Gary’s Wine and spirits) And, as mentioned above, they will price match.

Really miss his shop in Saint Helena, which unfortunately closed.

Dustin

1 Like

You have to order from their online deals. Their in store pricing is higher

1 Like

I don’t buy a lot any more but Plucky’s for some wines I can’t easily find elsewhere. Bonus is I can do a nice lunch at the Inn when I pick up the wines.

Vine Republic also has some wines I don’t find easily at other local shops and they usually deliver the same day for free.

Shop-rite liquors in Westfield exclusively for a good variety of Albarinos they carry.

1 Like

I did Freehold Shop Rite few times. They had sell of old vintages for $3.99 putting there anything (or most) older than 2013 I think. I just bought almost all of them spending few hundred dollars. About 20% was cooked or vinegar, but the rest I opened so far have been fantastic. Some of them originally cost $40-$50.

WL when it was younger I enjoyed very much… but ever since they started filling their monthly wine club with rose that they couldn’t sell at the store… I lost respect for them.

1 Like

Chambers Street wine
Flatiron Wine
Allendale Wine
WTSO

1 Like

Bottle king has the best pricing on the collectible items, but not the greatest selection. Gary’s is consistently a few dollars more than bottle king, but selection is better. Wine Library went way downhill after Gary V. checked out in the early 2000’s. I haven’t bought from them in years. Spring Lake Bottle shop has a really interesting selection of collectibles, but also a few bucks more. Total wine is totally overpriced.

Check out Domaine Cellar Trading’s website. You can buy online and pick it up in Edison, NJ if you prefer. Pricing is very competitive and it’s run by fellow berserker, Ian Dorin ( formerly of wine library fame). Same thing with Plucky Wine- I’ve ordered online and picked up in person.

I’ve seen all these great prices on Bordeaux at Costco posted in other threads. Sadly, the Costcos in NJ that do sell wine, have aweful selections and pricing on what they do have, is similar to retail stores.

2 Likes

Just so you’re aware the prices online (cheaper) are different than in store for Allendale and Vine republic. I usually shop at Somm Cellars, wine library for fairly generic party wines, the Burgundy selection is depressing. I also use Flatiron and Acker.

1 Like