When family buys you wine for Christmas

Years ago before I really knew much about this hobby, the in laws gave me a bottle of 2005 Kapcsandy State Lane Vineyard. They knew I wanted to try Opus One and apparently got a recommendation from a local wine store they went shopping for my gift. Of course at the time, I had no idea what I just received and drank nothing but OR pinots. Few years later, I finally pulled the cork with the wife and thought, this is pretty good…

Nolan E wrote:
Not sure I’ve seen a wine opener with a cord…

“Cordless” is part of the product description on the outside of the box. I am not clever enough to think of that myself. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Ed

My wife actually “gathers” everyone’s contributions in the family that wants to buy me gifts and gets me stuff that she knows I like (like a case of 2010 Cantemerle last year). This year, she got me four Riedel Sommelier glasses and a Coravin.

My fiance got me a nice '13 Williams Selyem Block 10 Mass Selection Pinot this year, she went to pick up some wine we ordered and stayed for a tasting came home with this as a gift (it’s now only available for purchase at the winery allegedly). She had to hide it for a few months because she knew there would be know where to hid it in either our actual wine fridge or racks without me noticing it…says a little something about our organization haha.

She’s learned my tastes and interests in the 2 years we’ve been together so it wasn’t a huge surprise but a nice one at that!

Received a bottle of Barefoot Moscato in a nice wooden wine box with glass see-through window…

But it was a joke to see my reaction. Then I opened the ‘real’ present - Chappellet.

‘A’ for effort and creativity!

My wife and I are so deep into this she usually gets me something spot on, this year it was 2 750s and a mag of 2011 Foillard Cote du Py and a 750 of the 2010 3.14. For my birthday it was half a case of Westerhold Syrah of various vintages.

Most surprising is a friend who usually plays it cool actually gives me quite considerate wine gifts, totally nailing my taste without any prompting, I think he’s just a good listener and keeps good mental notes of what I’m into. Last year he gave me a CdP and this year he gave me a '14 Foillard Cote du Py.

A friend who doesn’t really care about wine gets DeLille stuff for free all the time and he usually regifts it to us around the holidays.

Lauren’s parents usually give us a couple bottles of PepperBridge Cab or Merlot on holidays, and my folks give us Gift Cards to Total.

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a misguided wine gift come to think of it. I think people that know what they’re doing give wine and those that don’t know I have lots of other way easier to buy for interests and go that direction.

A sister & BIL are ITB so they always gift well!

I am going to whisper…two friends both bought Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz.

I’ve been giving our neighbors young children toys for Christmas and birthdays the past several years. A year ago they gave me a bottle of $15 Napa cab as a gift. Ok. That’s nice. It’s the thought that counts.
Moments ago, I brought a small box of toys over for the children. The mid 30 something mommy knows I like wine, and she hands me a bottle from a small local shop. I couldn’t help myself, so I took the bottle out of the bag and looked at the wine. It was a '12 Freemark Abbey Napa Cab. I responded with a that’s a nice bottle. I was surprised in a good way.

Got a couple of freebie bottles from reps: 2009 Terredora Taurasi, something already on the list, but I’m looking forward to enjoying it with some short ribs, and the other was a Peachy Canyon Malbec which I popped open for the staff.

Not wine, but bourbon from the in-laws this year - a fifth of Elmer T Lee and a fifth of Widow Jane 10 yr