When family buys you wine for Christmas

[cheers.gif]

Not wine, but my father-in-law and his SO bought us a Cuisinart Cordless Wine Opener. They said they have one and enjoy it and figured we would too. We are looking forward to trying it out!

Thanks,
Ed

Got a 2003 Pavie from my in laws once. Shocked the hell out of me. They asked me a wine I liked and mentioned it once months before Christmas without a thought about it and it showed up Christmas Day. To say I was surprised is an understatement

My daughter knows where I buy wine so she just goes to people I buy wine from and follows what they say. I have gotten Vatan and Shaffer-Frolich, for example, from her in the past.

Pleased to have received a 2000 Gaja Sperss this year. Truly unexpected and appreciated.

Not sure I’ve seen a wine opener with a cord…

“Cordless” is just a generic term for battery operated.

Had a patient who in a million years I would never thought knew about wine lay a 2010 La Gerla Brunello on me… what a nice gift.

Nutcracker, ball buster - same old same old

Man, I think I have ALL of you beat.

A few years ago, bless her heart, my aunt got me an entire case from Nakedwines.com

Boy was that rough. In fact, I still have two bottles that I can’t get rid of.

For the most part, I get great gifts. People who know wine enough get me cool stuff and people who don’t know wine go to one of my favorite local wine shops and get me gift cards so I do pretty well.

One bottle each of. 2013 Mugneret Gibourg Ruchottes, 2014. JJ Confuron Clos Vougeot and 2014 Dujac MSD. I have them trained

I can’t shake getting wine accessories. I’m sure I have every conceivable wine vacume sealer, preserver, aerator, chiller, bucket. Got another one this year. Don’t know how to politely say that enough is enough. I’ve never received a bottle of wine for Christmas except when someone is coming for dinner and gives it as a hospitality gift.

No family wine gifts but I did get a bottle of Argentinian Malbec from my boss’ boss. I think I might have set some sort of speed record for regifting. Didn’t even make it back to my desk.

I used to travel to North Carolina frequently and have tried a number of Childress wines. I have never had a red I liked. Actually, I haven’t had a red from North Carolina that I felt was good.

However, I have had better luck with whites. In some years the base Chard or Viognier from Childress can be a nice wine and was priced well at under $15. But vintage variation is huge so I would never buy more than one without tasting first.

No one in my family has bought me wine, not even my wife. My parents have given me a couple of cheap bottle openers which go silently into the night, to Goodwill.

My wife made a birthday cake for a friend one year at his wife’s request. As a thank you, the friends wife gave her a bottle of Barefoot because “she knew we were into wine”. The cake was a gift and we did not need a reciprocal gift, especially not Barefoot.

when i got my masters degree, Ma gave me a used station wagon for hauling around my harpsichord, and in the back was a case of Laphroaig…

ohwaitaminute – thats not wine…

I am supremely glad no one in my family tries to buy me wine. Every time I get a “what kind of wine does Noah like” enquiry from a patient or FOAF through a friend, it ends up a disaster. I should really just say, go to MacArthur/Bassins, or Weygandt, or, what the hell, email the Concierge service at Total Wine and just let them know you know me…

Yes, yes it is. And a most wonderful one at that!

aye, laddie – the bonnie malted grape…

My wife and my dad both buy me wine for gifts, and generally do a great job. For Christmas, my wife gave me a bottle of 1994 Dunn cab (our anniversary year) and my dad gave me a bottle of 1997 La Jota ‘Anniversary Release’ cab.