What's your 'Wonder Grape'?

Scheurebe

I look forward to trying this when we visit Maine in May. We’re renting a house 10 min. from Bartlett Winery.

Nero d’Avola. Been wondering if it’s really grape.

Sauvignon blanc from STYRIA (Steiermark)

Monastrell and Mencia for me.

Nero D’Avola and Corvina for reds and Viognier for white

This, I don’t know why I don’t buy/drink more. A Terredora Taurasi is the single most memorable nose I’ve experienced.

Riesling

It’s always in the fridge, and like Hank with Syrah, it still seems to need evangelists in the real world, as opposed to here :wink:

Yup…agree, Gerhard. When I was there, I found some terrific ones. Alas, many of the ones imported
into the USofA are a bit bland.
Tom

Ditto - and adding Schioppettino and Lagrein -

AND -

Saint Laurent from Switzerland, Tannat & Jacquere from France and Graciano from Spain -

I love Nerello as well. Have you tried Terre Nere’s pre phylloxera? Also have been a fan of some of Benanti’s Nerellos, as well as the Carricante.

Randy, regarding Syrah and Cab blend 20 years ago, been there and did that with Melka and Caldwell with his superb vineyard; very delicious and successful blend, well received, sold easily rapidly. 1998 first vintage, should not have been an easy sell, right?

Poulsard and Frappato.

RT

Cannonau. Usually a lot of fun and goes great with pasta and pizza.

I haven’t tried the pre-phylloxera yet, but their regular Etna Rosso is such a steal I think. I’ve eyed the pre-phylloxera several times but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. is it worth the extra over the regular Etna Rosso?

Yes I definitely agree, the Etna Rosso is a great wine. I feel the pre-phylloxera is worth the extra though; it really is a fantastic wine. The ‘15 I thought was an excellent vintage that still is pretty available. The ‘16 is good too but both benefit from some decanting.

Not a single mention of Norton. For shame!

It’s interesting to read these thoughts, as I stumbled across two articles by Dan Berger on Syrah last night. He actually attributed the boom in vaguely labelled blend to the difficulty of getting Syrah to be the next big thing…

Press Democrat
“Why Syrah is Such a Hard Sell”
by Dan Berger
September 28, 2015

Press Democrat
“Red Wine Blends Problematic”
by Dan Berger
October 2, 2018

I am enjoying this thread. Of course, I have been posting about Mourvèdre and Carignan, so it isn’t difficult to figure out what I share with friends and family. [wink.gif]

While I don’t post about them often, I do love a lot of inexpensive* Iberian/Mediterranean whites:

Picpoul, Verdejo, Viura - you know, crisp, clean, refreshing stuff.

Regarding the earlier mention of Kerner, I have tasted only one, but I think it’s got potential domestically. Lodi’s “Mokelumne Glen Vineyard” is the source of grapes for SideBar and Markus Wine Company:

Kerner-with-Markus-Niggli-640x425.jpg
The Drinks Business
“Mokelumne Glen Vineyards: Once an Experiment, Now a Lodi Landmark”
by db_staff
December 12, 2018

"…While this certified sustainable vineyard is responsible for over 50% of Kerner plantings in the US, the obscurities don’t end there. Throughout the 15-acre vineyard is a wide collection of indigenous German and Austrian varieties such as Riesling (clone 90), Grüner Veltliner, Bacchus, Gewürztraminer, Dornfelder, Blaufränkisch, Zweigelt, and the lesser known Regent. And that’s only what’s commercially sold.

“A one-acre trial block of the vineyard is planted with another 50 some odd varieties. This experimental site includes eight different clones of Riesling, Affentaler, Rotgipfler, Räuschling, Ortega, Phoenix, Cabernet Dorsa, Domina, and Rondo. Scheduled for early spring of 2019 is yet another addition – this time, the dark-skinned Dunkelfelder…”

• Curse you, $30 Albariño! [soap.gif]