What's your 'Wonder Grape'?

Schioppettino!

Obaideh/Merwah and Viura

I’d add Ruchè to that list, and I vigorously support your endorsement of Freisa. I’ve had less than 10 wines made from it, but they’ve all been awesome wines from legendary producers for very little coin.

Syrah.

Not a rare grape but one that does not get enough credit in my market. Plus I always have a bottle to share with friends. Its also my favorite grape variety. I am trying to get into white rhone varietals at the moment and hope to turn on some friends to them.

Mourvedre, Cinsaut, Marsanne and Roussanne . . .

Viura!

Very few non-wine people I know have ever had a white Rioja, so a good aged example is always a head-turner.

Aglianico. I have…not a few bottles, but a whole rack full, always, and for the life of me, I can’t understand why it isn’t the main topic of discussion on wine boards. I’m drinking a luscious Aglianico as I write this, which is at least 3 times better than the St. Emilion I opened before it, that cost 3 times as much. Damn this stuff is tasty.

Edit: this is a great thread, and I support the posts of those who elect Mourvedre, Nerello Mascalese, and Marsanne to this status. But Aglianico is the QPR king.

Except for a few, you all are just showing off! Come on, admit it!
My preference is Passum. Passum was a raisin wine (wine from semi-dried grapes) apparently developed in ancient Carthage (in now modern Tunisia) and transmitted from there to Italy, where it was popular in the Roman Empire. The earliest surviving instruction constitutes the only known Carthaginian recipe. It is a fragment from the Punic farming manual by Mago (agricultural writer) in its Latin translation by Decimus Junius Silanus (2nd century BC).

Petit Manseng. Especially from Virginia. Exciting and underappreciated things happening here with that grape. Chambourcin, too, for a crowd-pleaser.

Some southern Italians as well, notably Aglianico and Fiano

Corvina is the main grape, but if I’m telling someone what to look for: Valpolicella Ripasso

Does Wonder Grape wear a cape like the other superheroes?

Since you asked about producers,
Carlos Lucas Ribeiro Santo Encruzado from the Dao.
Also Quinta do Sobral.

I have to say Kerner. That’s mostly the one from Novacella, but there are several others I’ve had that are also very nice. I think the Novacella version in particular is a very high quality wine that’s only so inexpensive because most people have never heard of Kerner. I’m on a personal mission to get more people to try it.

My favorite Nerello so far has been Munjabel from Frank Cornellison. just delicious. like a lovechild between Nebbiolo and Burgundy

Auxerrois and chenin blanc. Both produce very versatile still and sparkling wines. Good examples of both are underrepresented in North American wineries. Really like Bel Lago’s(MI) auxerrois and Paumanok’s(LI-NY) chenin blanc.

Pinot Bianco/Weissburgunder, though I don’t always have it on hand.

Huge fan of Auxerrois. Chateau Fontaine has my favorite example and it’s a steal. Dr. Edson (Bel Lago) brought the grape into Michigan originally iirc.

[whistle.gif]

Just got ahold of the Early Mountain petite manseng but have yet to pop the bottle. Looking forward to it!

I’m with Hank. The grape is very versatile and can be shaped in many different ways by the winemaker. You wouldn’t add Syrah to Cab twenty years ago, but there are some stellar blends out there now. It may be the trend for the changing palates behind Parker points. On the down side, Syrah in the store is a slow mover.

Have a bottle of Aglianico from an old wine club I was in when I first got into wine. Might have to open it this weekend. Haven’t really known when to open it.