What's your favorite California Cabernet?

If the criterion is what I buy now, I’d have to say (in alphabetical order):

Bedrock
K Kennedy
Rivers Marie
Spottswoode

Dominus.

The best I have tried are a couple of Diamond Creeks and I really liked the 87 and 91 Mondavi Reserve’s.

If I have to pick one wine, a combination of quality and price, it would be Myriad Dr. Crane. That said, I am also a sucker for Realm To Kalon.

Your first three would be choices, probably in reverse order, though that doesn’t consider the higer cost of the Shafer. I love Harlan and Bryant but the price is prohibitive. I also still like Insignia a lot. At the lower end of the price spectrum, I enjoy Mondavi Oakville in about every vintage.

Based on quality and consistency, I have to pick Schrader.

My favorite producers generally tend to be in the traditional/classical camp.

Mayacamas, Dunn, Ridge MB, Togni

Ridge Monte Bello.

I would love to say Sterling, but that ended in 1974. Also love Montelena.

Diamond Creek is a great choice. The 1978s are among the top California Cabs I have had.

Ridge

Saxum. Oops, that’s right, they do not make a Cab. OK, anything made by Thomas Rivers Brown. I think I prefer the Outpost True Vineyard to the Rivers Marie, but it’s close.The Schrader is very good, but mine are sleeping peacefully so I do not have enough experience with them.

1974 Heitz Martha’s, but a bunch of other Martha’s give or take 3-6 years are also worthy.

+1

And I’ll add SHS and Schrader.

I enjoyed Dehlinger’s cabernets from back in the mid 90’s. Perhaps it’s the deft touch of a known pinot noir producer working with a more full bodied grape.

Hey, this is a BURGINDY board! What r you doing here?! [wink.gif]

But seriously, though, I don’t drink enough of this category to provide an answer.

Ridge Monte Bello is the one and only for me (I buy some Dehlinger every year as well). Montelena seems a shadow of its former self. The one newcomer I would recommend is Pott. Honestly, between California and Bordeaux, the number of trees that have been killed and toasted to make more and more over-oaked wines is mind boggling.

Easy choice.

Harlan
Schrader
Screagle

Alan, from what year are you writing off Montelena?

Ridge MB and Dominus are the 2 cabs that have most consistently wowed me.

While I don’t drink much cab, I would also never turn down Corison, Black Cat, or the more exuberant Tor. Kapcsandy moved out of my pricing comfort zone quickly and I am yet to enjoy a mature wine, but I think they would be in my wheelhouse.

Don’t drink a lot of California cabs (doesn’t pair with most of the food we eat and pricing [wow.gif] ) but do like older vintages of Montelena and purchase Rivers Marie consistently. Had an 04 RM last night that was great!