What's your favorite California Cabernet?

I don’t have broad enough experience to exclude many of those mentioned, but among the ones about which I feel fairly knowledgeable I’d say Ch Montelena Estate. I’ve also loved the few Ridge Monte Bello bottles I’ve had. Most of the big Napa names I’ve had have been disappointing.

Not the most glamorous these days, but if I had to have just one CA cab the rest of my life, it would probably be BV Georges de Latour. 30 years of drinking it, and it’s still delicious, consistent, and an absolute bargain compared to most.
Tough choice between that and Heitz Martha’s, Freemark Abbey Bosche and Stag’s Leap Fay.
I guess I like them old school:)

Shafer Hillside Select - almost any vintage.

1974 Louis Martini

I am going split my answer into two groups, each have a place in my cold and wicked heart depending on mood. :slight_smile:
In the consistent & quintessentially Napa Cab style or when I just want some of the best of what the Valley offers I gotta go with Shafer Hillside Select.
In the most exciting and more leaning toward a new goalpost Cab that continually amazes me both in its flavor profile and when added to the ‘no small fact’ that I can enjoy such a newer approach to what is available I will have to say Myriad.

Another one that comes out more like an AFWE is Clos du Val (Reserves and SLD). They stick to a Bordeaux style , consistently below 14% ABV and requiring lots of patience. My bro-in-law had a bottle of 82’ SLD on Christmas Eve and was amazed at the quality of a 30 yr cab.

+1

Ridge Monte Bello

you ballers roll real well with your selections.

my picks year in year out are …
Chappellet
Match
Jean Edwards
Anderson’s Conn Valley

and more recently, BV Georges de Latour

[cheers.gif]

While there are individual wines from specific vintages that might hit higher heights, overall it would be Ridge Monte Bello, Ch. Montelena, and Shafer Hillside Select. Back in the day, I would have included Heitz Martha’s from a good vintage, along with Mayacamas.

Bruce

+2

This,with Montelena following…

If money is no object, across many vintages SHS and Insignia would definitely be among my contenders. (Never had the likes of Harlan, Bryant, Screagle so can’t comment on that level)

Not a trendy choice, but I think Mondavi Reserve deserves a mention here.

1990s: Étude
2000s: Schrader
2008-2010: Greer

Togni.

Honorable Mention: Montelena, Dominus, Ridge MB.

Kathryn Kennedy – I know its a bit of a curveball. The mid to late 90’s were stunning. Have not drunk anything later than the 2001

Early 70’s Stags Leap, Clos du Val, and Burgess. I wonder how the current wines taste.

Bruce, throw in Dunn and I’m with you

For now: Rivers Marie and DXG.

Of all time: 64 Louis Martini Special Selection.

My overall favorite for consistency is Spottswoode. My sentimental favorite is Arns.

Cheers! champagne.gif
Marshall