What's Your Favorite Buy-and-Drink Red?

Bedrock OVZ and Syrah
Thivin Cote De Brouilly
Calera Central Coast Pinot

Over a few vintages, I have been more than pleased with Drouhin Oregon Roserock Pinot Noir as a “Buy-and-Drink Red” Broadly appealing I think. Also a nice wine to gift and be gifted. ~$30

1 Like

For domestic Pinot Noir under $30

Goodfellow Willamette Valley or Ribbon Ridge.
Cameron Dundee or Ribbon Ridge
Patricia Green Riserve
Vincent Eola Amity or Ribbon Ridge
Evesham Wood Eola Amity
Violin Willamette Valley.

Right now, I am also really diving into Alto Piedmonte reds that are under $30.

I don’t find these hard to find at retail, but that may be a factor of where I live.

Roilette regular
Vajra Nebbiolo Langhe or Langhe Rosso
Isole e Olena CC
Vincent Ribbon Ridge Pinot
Briceland Alderpoint Pinot
Thierry Richoux Irancy
Burlotto Barbera
Lopez de Heredia Cubillo
Terre Nere normale

I spent a good chunk of November in Oregon due to a death in the family and didn’t have access to my cellar. Goodfellow, PGC, and Evesham Wood were my go to wines when I was picking up stuff to make dinner. Stand outs in the 20-30 being EW Eola cuvée, Goodfellow Whistling Blanc, and PGC Freedom Hill.

The other one I saw more of than I do here in San Diego was Bucklin. At 23/ea for the bambino, I think it easily holds its own against the Bedrock OVZ.

Coudoulet de Beaucastel, Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva, Terre Nere Etna Rosso, Muga Reserva, Ridge Paso Robles, and Marietta Old Vine Red.

1 Like

Great call on the Goodfellow. At Marcus pricing for WB, nearly his entire range can fit. Would definitely email him for a price list of his 2018s.

Jaffurs Santa Barbara County Syrah
Antinori Toscana

Esmonin GC Clos Prieur
Paul Pillot BR
Pierre Guillemot BR
Ramonet BR

Gundlach Bundschu Mountain Cuvée is always solid for this situation.

Chappellet Mountain Cuvée
A winner always!

Clementine Carter Grenache.
Maitre de Chai Zinfandel.

I also think King Estates Oregon PN are great value. Good wines.

Nice Thread, agree with so many on this list and look forward to hunting for and trying others from this list
A couple I would add I didnt see:
Abadia Retuerta Selección Especial Sardon de Duero
& Fattoria Selvapiana Chianti Rùfina Riserva Bucerchiale
and I like just popping Seghesio Zin

Sandler Pinot Noir. They are great to drink when released but a few years won’t hurt them if you happen to lose a bottle or two in the cellar. I don’t think you’ll see them at retail, but Ed usually offers a fantastic Berserker Day deal.

1 Like

Cotes du Rhône Village, and mencia.

A GSM blend from the Rhone Valley or Languedoc is everything to me!!

+1
I agree so much with this Scott, that I gave you both the ‘thumbs up thanks’ AND the “plus one” . [wow.gif]

1 Like

I would add Volpaia Chianti Classico to those already mentioned from Chianti. A couple of Zin’s to add are the Turley Old Vines and Juvenile, and the Carlisle Sonoma County Zin. One red from Portugal that is going to become an annual purchase is the Adega de Penalva Indigena Tinto Dao. A great value for $13!

Ed

1 Like

Roagna Langhe Rosso
Giacosa Nebbiolo D’Alba Valmaggiore

Foillard’s Cote du Py (as soon as I find another Cru BoJo that rocks my boat, that likely could be added to the list, too; alas, as it is now, Foillard is the cheese).

Yves Cuilleron - Syrah (the designation has changed over the years, but one is always produced)

pretty much all Halcon reds (the only way I can keep my hands off these is to put them away in offsite)

Since first trying it, I give Cantemerle a chance to fit the bill pretty much every vintage, and sometimes it delivers

Baudry’s reds (even if I do think the two I tend to purchase will improve in the cellar)

Jose Palacios - “Petalos” Mencia (should be on this list … I just don’t buy it every year as I should)

Chateau Senejac

1 Like