Whats more important, wine or grammar

I believe the proper use of that phrase includes a ‘the’ before wines. Another example:
Me also loves the interwebs. :wink:

Grammar’s only important when you’re correcting the grammar of a grammar nazi.

I feel your pain, as I endeavor to use the proper grammar, I really appreciate Mike Grammer, and I love wine. Hard to choose on this one. Given the cognitive dissonance that I am experiencing with the poll and the topic, I elected to post only and not vote.

Myself appreciates both wine and proper grammar.

Myself thinks the votes ain’t going the way Alan himself hoped.

I only do things to myself in private so grammar can be tossed out the window.

Really, grammar 2-1 over wine? No wonder that WS has such a following? Just a bunch of writers with proper grammar…who cares if they actually know anything about or have a passion for wine…but they sure can structure a sentence properly…WTF?

Sorry…that should probably be…properly structure a sentence…but WTF do I know…I’m just a number crunching wino…

But nobody said anything about correcting anyone. Preferring is not the same as correcting. Sometimes I’d prefer it if a restaurant prepared a dish differently from what they served, but I don’t go into the kitchen and correct the cook. If someone graduates from high school, there shouldn’t really be a problem with grammar.

I love both, albeit for different reasons.

No, I promise not to shoot myself. That was just a metaphor, or an analogy, or a syllogism, or some other high falutin’ term.
But this IS my hobby. And the edge never goes away . . . .
Phil Jones

grammar

As the question was stated, I had to say grammar.
If it had been phrased, “What is more important, enjoying wine, or correct grammar in Wineberserker posts?”, I would have chosen enjoying wine.

P Hickner

Our only means of communicating on this board is through the written word. And any idea, thought or notion here is only as strong as its ability to be communicated. So when it comes to a wine board, the wine is pretty important… but without grammar it makes it pretty difficult to make this show go. More than anything people perceive bad grammar as laziness or worse - some vary in patience and others may even take offense that you seemingly don’t have time to write clearly for others sake.

So wine or grammar? I’ll take one of each!

Also, if you feel badly you have something wrong with your hands.

Now can we get back to the variety vs varietal wars?

Mike.

Although many grammatical errors don’t make sentences incoherent, many do. When sentences become incoherent, language no longer works. When language no longer works, people will no longer be able to communicate with each other, even to make wine. Hence grammar is more important than wine.

I dunno, it’s pretty rare that someone’s grammar on this board is so poor that the message is incomprehensible. My opinion is similar to Jeb’s, this is a simple message board regarding a hobby for most of us. Many of us are dropping posts off iPhone while on the beach, off iPads while in meetings (on breaks, of course), or at home after a few glasses of wine. I think minor items of grammar, typos, etc., should be overlooked. I bet most of us can comb through the posts of the grammar cops and find errors there, too. I have seen a couple above. The folks that seem to derive pleasure from castigating or humiliating others for a spelling mistake or a mistake in grammar take it too far.

So I agree grammar and the ability to communicate with clarity is more important than a hobby, on a hobby board like this, I think we can all lighten up.

But whats if I cant spell excessibe property?

This survey/thread was started by an anti-grammarian, not a grammar cop. So really, who needs to lighten up?