What wines do you wish you bought while you were younger?

In the late 80’s at the time when the 86 Bordeaux were coming out, I walked past the old- fashioned labels of heavy black and scripted letters that said “Barolo” and wondered why a store selling fresh-off-the-boat Bordeaux would have dusty bottles of Italian wine from the 70’s still sitting on their shelves. By the time I wised up a few years later, those bottles were gone [cry.gif]

Did any of us know that reds from Piemonte and Burgundy were virtually indestructible…and lasted forever?

I think we all bought expecting the opposite…and, that’s why many people consumed their purchases way too young, which I sense is a big regret here. (And, though I appreciated the need to age these wines, my definitions of “aging” were very different 20 years ago.)

And, from lots and lots of tasting and extravaganza notes posted on WB, it seems that there are plenty of people following that “strategy” still…though some probably recognize what they are doing.

Buying and consumption are related, but…from the responses here, distinct regrets.

I"m still young(ish) so I’m hoping I won’t look back at NOW with too much regret!

That said, I wish I had bought more
2000 Bordeaux (my first vintage I bought as futures)
1996 Champagne
1985 Charlie when you could still get it for not stupid prices
Selosse when you could get it for not stupid prices
2001 Germans (my wife and I polished off almost a case of '01 JJPrum WS Auslese last summer)
And especially especially more Loire (Joly, Huet, Quarts de Chaume, Dagueneau) which I’ve come to realize I absolutely love and only really love with some (or a lot) of age on them.

Craig has my post. Rayas and Pignan for sure.

Agreed Frank, but the reality is your palate would have found Rayas to taste like watered down wine when you were younger, so no need to worry about something that would never have happened.

Wish I had bought 1982 Bordeaux in case quantities when I was 7 years old.

Late bloomer, are you? neener

more premier cru red Burgs when I was chasing grand crus. Though the latter were easy to find, the former were cheaper and more plentiful–and I also had the chance to buy all the Truchot I wanted from Doug at Arrowine. Didn’t know the producer–or Doug–so I bought just a couple b to try, got buried in the cellar and forgotten for years–when it was too late.

Tonnes of White Burgundy from “before” the premix scourge, and loads more Chave Hermitage (whites as well)

Here are a few purchases I wish i had bought more of in the last decade…

1st Growths between $100-$150/bottle at the NH wine stores.
1995 Musar…before it was above $50/bottle.
1996 Dom P. for $100/bottle at my first real job ITB
1996 Pol Roger SWC $150/bottle on wined.com (September 2008)

Great point

Though I always bought RB and WB accross the board, from villages to grand cru, I have always been more reluctant to drink grand crus and, thus they are “less useful” for me. Many reasons to be reluctant: not the
“right” occasion; they age forever, why kill them off; outrageous appreciation, so why not sell (I rarely have sold anything other than 2004 reds); waiting for the perfect time of their evolutions…, etc…

I think Alan’s regret is a good lesson/advice to newbies…or anyone.

Wish I had bought more bottles from “good” but not “great” Bordeaux vintages, such as 2001, 2002, and 2004. Many wines from these vintages are drinking beautifully right now, and they were much less expensive than 2000 and 2005.