What was your most disappointing wine of 2010?

Under that criteria, 2007 La Bastide Saint-Dominique Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Secrets de Pignan 2007. I bought a lot '07s, and enjoy most, but this one pushed ripeness and alcohol to another dimension. Tried twice a year apart with same conclusion. My dad loved it, but then again, he loves Alto Moncayo, too. Cut from the same cloth they are.

Off the top of my head, it’s either the 1988 CVNE Imperial Gran Reserva or the 1995 Haut Brion.

+1 on Reynvaan. These are not for me.

[cheers.gif]

'01 Yquem
'55 DRC Echezeaux
'04 Ornellaia
'01 Sassicaia
'98 Alzero

All tied on the bummer list for 2010

2002 Turley Duarte
1999 Dominus
1996 Opus One

Wrong Poll…No really, '01 Yquem? One of the top 5 greatest wines ever for me.

1992 Seavey, like drinking an ashtray of cheap cherry Swisher Sweets cigars.

2007 Frog’s Leap Zinfandel Napa ($30)

as my eight year old girl would say, was an utter dish-shash-ter, thin, watery and overly acidic.

2000 Pavie. And it’s a wine I “should” have liked, given the comments of its detractors. It was already over the hill. I went back and looked at my notes and I gave it 90 points, but I remember it more like an 86 point wine, which was disappointing considering the hype.

Agree on '01 yquem. After all the praise, I was expecting a genie to pop out. All I noticed was a nicely balanced Sauternes. I really like my Sauternes to have alot more spice/ botrytis in their youth. Didnt get that from this guy.

Also, Krug NV Rose. I think Ray posted on this a few days ago and I agree. I just dont get it. For me, qualitatively no where near the price tag.

Also, 1980 Dom Perignon, dead, no fruit, kinda like seltzer water.

Also, 2003 Louis Latour Corton Grancey- Cherratussin sizzurp.

A few other poor ones-

2002 La Mission Haut Brion
1986 Lynch Bages
1998 Pingus

Funny to see the '01 d’Yquem mentioned here. Last January, due to dispute on the “other” board about '01 d’Yquem being quantifiably better than every other '01 Sauternes, a group of us held a '01 Sauternes tasting. Nearly all the major wines were tasted, including the d’Yquem. While the d’Yquem was the unanimous WOTN, it was far from being head and shoulders above wines such as Suduiraut and Rieussec. The notes did find their way over here, I believe.

Anyway, I’d say my most disappointing wine of 2010 was the '06 Kapcsandy Roberta’s Reserve. I wanted this wine to be great and had read so many positive things, but I was just majorly disappointed. Particuarly after having had such a great bottle of '04 State Lane the month prior.

I tried Blue Eyed Boy once at a wine bar a couple of years ago, don’t know what vintage, but it was possibly the worst wine I’ve ever had. It really almost didn’t belong in the category of “wine.”

Looking back at my notes on CT, I guess this would be it. I know I should not have expected much from a Merlot from NYS, but the waiter built it up to the point where I thought it would be decent:

N.V. Baldwin Merlot Proprietor’s Reserve (USA, New York) 65 points
We went to a local informal restaurant that usually has some decent wines by the glass. Unfortunately, they are doing a NYS wine promotion focusing on the wines of this producer. Amy and I were both having dishes that were not white-wine friendly. White usually being a better bet with NYS wines. The waiter said he had tasted this and it was “quite good”. He even convinced us to go for a bottle at $20 rather than purchase by the glass. It’s just as well that I don’t know where he lives.

The nose has hints of the cherry and chocolate typical of Merlot, but there’s an added component of stewed cabbage and V-8 Juice that really doesn’t work here. On the palate, the wine has a definite, if off-putting, tingle on the tongue along with some sweet cherry candy that seems like artificial flavor. Since I was able to drink most of a glass without puking, I gave it a score in the 60s rather than the 50s. Not recommended.

N.V. New York merlot which sells for $20/bottle at a restaurant? [oops.gif]

2004 Alban Pandora. Jet Fuel.
2003 Aile d’Argent (Mouton-Rothschild Blanc) - fat, uncomplicated and uninspiring for the pedigree.

I have a couple of these, so i’ll try to open one up this week.
My last one was back in 4/2007 and my note said in part ‘wonderful acidity’ [whistle.gif]
So I guess that makes me a bit of an acid freak - curious to see how my tastes or the wine may have evolved in the 3 1/2 years.

In the other ‘worst of’ thead from last month, Jason H named the 2006 Swan Great Oak pinot. I had that wine as well, so opened one (my first taste). It was in fact, very hot/alcoholic and I poured it down the sink, so that may be one ofmy biggest disappointments.

Still a huge Rod B/Swan fan however - the 2005 Saralee’s that I opened after the Great Oak was a very lovely, elegant wine. I will certainly continue to buy.

Unrealistic to expect perfection I think, not sure I like dwelling on my disappointments.

I did explain why I thought it still fit.

However, since posting that, I realized that was from 2009. blush

La Chapelle 1990. Nasty, OTT wine

1996 SQN Against the Wall, 2nd year in a row. Not a bad wine but simply crushed by the wine next to it yet again this year.