What to do with $300/$600?

In other words, if you had $300 to spend on while, what would you buy? 1 fancy bottle, multiple mid-level, etc.

This would be buy whatever you want with those respective amounts now.

Rich, buried in 2.5 feet of snow up in the Rockies…classic.

I like the vague question. I am leaning towards an Insignia vs Dominus tasting OR Brilliant Mistake vs Realm the Bard vs Stag’s Leap Armillary.

This question was designed as my wife asked me to put together some tastings for 2 upcoming celebrations. We are Cali Cab people.

Always like learning where people would go. Still pretty new to the forum.

Dominus is absolutely fantastic. Insignia is good as well. The Armillary is good but usually only sold to members unless bought on the secondary market.

1 Like

Ahhh, gotcha! So not so much for a tasting then, but how would you spend your money kinda thing.

Not knowing how long you’ve been into wine I’ll assume maybe for a few years now, while mostly exploring wines from CA that are available at your local retailers (you mentioned talking to your local wine shop who made the reco). That said, I’d look to buy a higher end wine with a little bit of age on it from auction. Dominus is a solid suggestion. Check out winebid and find one from 2001 or 2002, as IMHO they show so much better when the oak and tannins have integrated some…plus it will allow you to see when you prefer to drink your wines (young, after a handful of years, etc).

1 Like

Stay safe man!

Love Realm - hard to go wrong there!

1 Like

Tokalon tasting, although 600 wouldn’t get you that far unless it’s a per bottle cost.

I think this would be fun, 3 different btk vs detert, Macdonald, mondavi tokalon.

1 Like

At these price points, you really ought to get Wine Searcher Pro.

But just using free Wine Searcher, here are a few things I can see:

2014 I-Block Fume Blanc
93.7 points, 10 tasting notes

TWO LOTS; AUCTION ENDS IN 20 HOURS

1994 Togni
93.7 pts, 120 tasting notes

$229
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/togni/1994/usa

1987 Dunn Howell Mountain
94 pts, 134 tasting notes

$365
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/dunn/1987/usa

1978 Mondavi Reserve
CT 92.1 pts, 63 tasting notes

$250
[“$1,978.93” for a 3L in Switzerland]
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/mondavi+reserve/1978

1 Like

Dunn is on the the list. I have Pro! Hunting for 88’s

Really guys? Avoiding the question whilst either taking potshots or saying the OP is not willing to spend enough?

Unless you’re intentionally trying to diversify for the sake of tastings/others, I suggest you spend it trying to find 1) what you like that 2) drinks well now.

If you like trophy wines, that makes it easier. Find something with high scores/low allocation and buy.

Most likely/ideally, You’d use this as a chance to delve into a region or two that have already interested you.

I’d take 200 to do some exploring and then spend $400 on the winners.

Lots of recent/active threads on “best value wines” and “dork wines” as well as great suggestions for QPR Burgundy and Bordeaux if that interests you

1 Like

Well this is a simple answer, you just give it to me

I’ll send you my Zelle info

1 Like