What price per bottle do you use in cellar tracker?

Bottle price and prorated portion of shipping; no tax.

I indicate in a private note how much shipping was per bottle, and will also include in that note if the entered price is reflective of some kind of discount that I received for that bottle.

Cost + tax + shipping

this is really why I asked the question.

I wondered why on some mailing list pre-orders why my cost was so much higher than the average price, which was also a off from the bottle release price (at times I can be a real slow learner).

+1

Same here. Not as accurate, but it works for me without the hassle.

Total price including tax and shipping.

I put the bottle cost in the notes for my reference, but it’s less useful.

Yeah, just the price of the bottle for me. I do add the 15% fees for Winebid purchases, but otherwise, too complicated.

How about turning this into a poll?

for me its only bottle price.

I only use price (+ buyers premium, if applicable). Because shipping/tax may be variable, this bare bones cost allows direct comparison when I see offer prices.

I’ve heard the argument before (I don’t see it in this thread) that “Wwhy would you put tax and shipping? You should just put the price of the bottle as that is the true price of the wine. You wouldn’t add the price of gas to go to the wine shop and buy it, would you?”

But…what if I was looking for a bottle of wine and found it in 2 different places? My local wineshop and somewhere on the east coast. What if it the base price was cheaper on the east coast than it is at my local wine shop, but once you add the tax and shipping, the wine cost more? Almost everyone on this board would buy it from their local wine shop. Why? Because it’s cheaper. That’s the true cost of the bottle…what you spent on it as a whole. That’s also the reason I put my all in cost as money spent on a bottle is money spent, I don’t consider the tax and shipping separately.

At the end of the day though, it doesn’t really matter, keep records how you wanna keep 'em.

True, although it certainly would be more helpful if there was a consensus and/or a guideline in the CT FAQ or something (and it would have been even more helpful from the beginning, since clearly everyone’s personal practices are all over the place). If you use CT average cost as a measure when deciding on a purchase (because W-S isn’t helpful, or just as an additional data point), and you see $40 as the average, it would be good to know whether most people paid $30 plus shipping and/or tax; otherwise, the $35 bottle you’re looking at in the store isn’t as good a deal as it seems.

Maybe shipping fees and taxes should get their own fields?

Yeah someday. It’s been on my todo list for about 5 years…

[winner.gif]

I try in 90% of my purchases to avoid shipping costs. Shipping and tax are really not part of the price of the wine for me. We pay tax on everything we purchase. In Cellartracker I like looking at average cost per bottle when I am looking to buy an older wine from auction or broker. When people add shipping and tax to that cost it skews the numbers and they are not of any real value then.

No retail advertising adds shipping and tax to their prices. I don’t get the need for it here. When you value your cellar for insurance purposes do you include sales tax and hipping as wine replacement value?

per request from someone in my first thread

poll added in new topic. can we merge them?

Done.

For me its the total cost minus the tax. Shipping is a key figure to me in the cost as it can be so variable.

But so can the tax. One of the most ridiculous aspects of buying wine from stores is that I have to pay 8% if the store is in NYS, but not if it is outside. So all NYS stores are at a disadvantage when I shop. Stupid.

I don’t add tax or shipping. I’m lazy, and it is variable. Also, WA sales tax is among the highest in the nation, so why remind myself that I’m getting gouged every time I buy wine?

One way I use CT is to compare “average price” to “price if I were to buy this today” to see if I’m getting a good deal at a store/shop/online retailer. I also check winesearcher, naturally.
Between the two, I can get a good feel for what the average person pays, which is, I think, the entire point.

My thinking too… and the lazy part as well.