What percentage of your cellar is white wine?

I only have a handful of whites and they are what I would call red wine drinkers whites: Viognier and Rousanne.

19%

The percentage of whites has been going up considerably for me over the last few years. Probably 40% of what I drink now is white (or rose which I put in the white category).

Not enough!
But still enough to select something aged if I want to. I’ve never understood the paradigm of “Summer=Whites” thinking. Summer or no summer, I tend to drink the same usual mix of 60/40 reds-whites. A white wine can be as weighty or as light as a red can.

You and me both Markus. It’s a steady 69˚ in my house all summer long - perfect weather for any color & type of wine. [cheers.gif]

I think that is simply a result of the “chill whites/not the reds” syndrome that is common.

Which is also wrong. Who wants to drink a wine that’s at 75 degrees?

I think another reason people associate white and rosado with summer is that people tend to eat lighter fare - other than BBQ and grilled steak, which I eat all year long.

I agree. I think most white wine is served to cold and red often too warm.

60% white wine, about 80% of that is white burgundy. I LAUGH IN THE FACE OF PREMOX

The cellar is at 75% red, 22% white and 3% rose.

We have been drinking almost solely white and rose this summer so the numbers in the cellar don’t reflect the purchases over the last couple months.

A big +1 here. The mark of a good white is that it’s still good as it warms to room temperature. And some Burgundies (NSG comes to mind) are COMPLETELY different wines when drank at 60˚ instead of room temperature.

Yeah, kind of misleading poll as the Reds tend to age longer than the whites so they would occupy more of a space due to the lower turnover.

About 1/3 white for me. Mostly Riesling

I’ve probably got around 50% whites.

Maybe the question should have been what percent of your purchases are white wines.

We drink at least 40% white in this household, but the cellar is less than 10% white. I do have 5-6 cases of Riesling, Loire, white Burgundy (mostly Chablis) that can sit here for years, but the normal stay of white wines in my cellar is less than a year.

P Hickner

50% is white…German Riesling, champagne, and vouvray.

Slightly less than 10% is white, about 500 bts. (incl. Champagne) - although I´d say in summer we drink almost half whites … but in winter rather rarely any (except Champagne).

Most whites are Austrian (Styria and Wachau) … and I also buy now and then 1/2/3 bottles young wine for immediat comsumption (which do not count to the cellar space) …
the rest is Champagne, Burgundy, Rhone blanc, Bordeaux blanc and some Alsace (and a few Germans) …

Just over 15% for me, the vast majority of which is local Riesling, with maybe few Germans, a few Semillons a couple of Kiwi Riesling and a couple Alvarinho. That will go up a little bit as we get closer to our summer as I tend to buy a bunch leading into summer for consuming young.

48% White, 47% Red, 5% Rosé. Most of the Rosé is champagne.

The more wine I drink, the more white wine/champagne I want to drink.

That’s been my experience, too, Sarah.

ditto