What Patricia Green Cellars are you drinking?

The 2013s have really outperformed expectations. The wines are still primary and fruit dominated at this point and that did not seem like what was going to be the case at the harvest. This is an interesting dichotomy as it pairs sort of the top and “bottom” of our spectrum. The Estate Vineyard, Bonshaw Block is certainly one of our top bottlngs and every we do it (most years but not all) it places itself in the very upper threshold of the cellar (the 2023 already seems poised to do that). The Lia’s is, with a couple of other wines, our least expensive single vineyard Pinot Noir (I think the 2013 was $30, the current release is $37). Good to know that at 10 years they are in seemingly similar places evolutionarily speaking.

1 Like

By the end of the evening I was . . . in love, again. :joy: Everything I was hoping for with a 2013 PGC Pinot Noir. :wine_glass: Liked them so much I woke up today and ordered six more of the 2013s from Courtier. :grinning: Looking forward to this PGC journey the coming years.

I’ve also really been liking iOTA’s 2013s and 2011s I’ve been drinking these past few months. So, I am wondering: do you think any of the PGC wines from subsequent vintages will end up in a place similar to where these PGC 2013s sit right now?

1 Like

Well, each vintage has its own thing of course and I think the specific nature of the 2013s would be hard to re-create. I think we have better vintages subsequent to 2013 (and better sites, farming, winemaking practices, etc.) so I would say we have better wines but if what turns your crank is the sort of fruity/bloody/iron-y thing the 2013s have then the answer would be nope.

1 Like

Thanks for the breakdown Jim, always such a treat to have you post here. We had another one last night amongst semi wine nerds, all preferred it as WOTN over some other OR Pinots that cost a lot more.

2 Likes

Enjoying a bottle tonight. Simply wonderful stuff.

1 Like

This has garnered a few very generous comments and was, apparently, seen as one of the nicer wines of the post-IPNC tasting.

The thing is we nearly didn’t bottle it at all. It was exceedingly light for months on barrel and really dominated by the 2 or 3 (can’t remember) new barrels. I don’t mean light in a good way. Like nothing to it. It just didn’t seem like it was going anywhere for the longest time. Not bad but not captivating. IIRC we didn’t place an order with our label company that included it. Then in the late spring, post-ML, it began to grow in every way. Eventually it filled out, got significantly darker (not that that is necessarily important but it just did) and developed texture that indicated it was certainly worthy of being bottled as a Durant standalone. One of the fun but maddening things about winemaking.

4 Likes

Did you experience something similar with the barrels that made up the 2013 Berserker Cuvee’? If I recall, that Cuvee’ was about 600 cases (i.e., 24 or 25 barrels).

No. That was a different thing entirely. That was a case of barrels being really good but not having a natural home. Above Reserve but no real place other than to put them together and hope for the best. And that happened.

2 Likes

That’s what I keep saying as I eye my last two bottles of 2008 and lone 2005 PGC Etzel. These wines are great, and have a very long (rewarding) life when stored well.

1 Like

2015 Estate Old Vine Pinot Noir.

Drank over three hours. Visually still youthful, dark magenta, clear rim. Not getting much on the nose. Palate is ripe cherry, raspberry, pomegranate, some mild baking spices and menthol. Medium bodied, tart acidity to balance the fruit. Integrated tannins provide a bit of texture and structure. Very nice, good spot to check in, should continue to evolve over the next 5+ years and hold for many more.

1 Like

I do think the 15s present as a less of a hot vintage than it kind of was. I think certain vineyards and wines will be quite long lived and delicious.

I do look back on that vintage and think about what I would do now and the level things could have gotten to. But that’s experience. Glad I at least have it now.

1 Like

Decanted my 2013 PGC Freedom Hill Coury Clone PN for right around an hour, poured back into the bottle and put the bottle (open) back in the cellar for an hour or so. This wine is really nice. Plenty happening on a perfumed nose, including fruit and black tea, and nicely followed up/combined with intense juice on the palate. So nice. Really happy (and lucky) I was able to find these 2013 PGCs and be introduced to some with a bit of age. :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Glad it treated you well, Terry. When these wines are on, they’re really something.

1 Like

2007 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Old Vine Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (11/7/2023)

What can I say? Another sh*tty 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir.

Loads of cinnamon, some pleasant (but soon-to-be-obtrusive) mineral on the finish. Fully integrated tannins. It had kind of a Tawny Port feel. Went down super easy.

Drink now or forever hold your Pinot. (90 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

All four 2013s I’ve tasted this past month have been wonderful.

1 Like

A bit of a cross post, but had a few 2010 Pinots recently along with the 2010 PG Etzel block. Sensational wine, and bested the group of '10’s including 2 admittedly youthful GC’s.

• 2010 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Etzel Block - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (11/4/2023)
    Quite good and the red that stood out for most others at the tasting. Vibrant and youthful, with a strong core of strawberries. Showing some development with a little orange rind on the nose finish. Spicy vibrant palate, with just a hint of herbal notes (whole cluster?) with integrated structure. Lengthy finish with repeating spice, orange, and mineral notes. I think this may be at it's peak--but no hurry. Everything in balance and there's plenty of acidic structure to age on.
    (single blind this was clearly Oregon given it's fruit profile) (94 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

@J.Vizuete
2 Likes

Thanks. I’m always pleased and somewhat surprised when people have rave reviews of the 2010s. It wasn’t a fun farming vintage at all and we lost crap tons of fruit to birds. Just frustrating all around. Last pick was on 10/31. I intellectually know that they’re good wines but my heart isn’t there for them. Doesn’t mean y’all can’t enjoy them though!

1 Like

Head over to the spirits forum

Or just go straight to the shopping cart :shopping_cart: :grinning:

https://www.patriciagreencellars.com/Buy-Our-Wines/Patty-Green-Distillers

3 Likes

I’ll admit the labels are no Ray Walker items but I’ll also admit the stuff in the bottles ain’t no Ray Walker shit either! Oddly made the choice to sell stuff from companies that I own and that we made! Crazy.

In all seriousness, these are legit whiskeys. Wouldn’t sell them if I didn’t believe in them 100%.

7 Likes

Can’t wait until you can ship!

1 Like