What Patricia Green Cellars are you drinking?

Nice. It is 10/18 for complete accuracy purposes.

1 Like

Feels like a birthday.

My case of (mostly) 2013 Patricia Green Cellars (purchased from Coutrier in San Fran) just arrived. They will rest in the cellar for a bit, but I would love any recommendations on where/which bottling(s) to open first:

Patricia Green Bonshaw 2013 (I have 2)
Patricia Green Durant (not sure whether Bishop Block or Madrone Block) 2013 (I have 2)
Patricia Green Estate Old Vines 2013
Patricia Green Lia’s 2013
Patricia Green Freedom Hill Coury 2013 (I have 2)
Patricia Green Hill Dijon 115 Clone 2013
Patricia Green Freedom Hill Pommard 2013 (I have 2)
Patricia Green Durant Bishop Block 2014

Jim’s handy drinkability chart (available here: Patricia Green Cellars - Drinkability Chart) lists the 2013 Lia’s Vineyard as “drink” so that’s a candidate. All the others are listed as “drink or hold,” with the exception of the 2013 Durant (if the 2 I have in fact are Bishop Block).

So, has anyone had any recent drinking experiences with any of these specific PGC wines? Thanks!!

The 13 bishop and FH coury were great earlier this year. The coury clone is a personal favorite, but the bishop Durant showed well among other old vine Dundee wines.

1 Like

Ditto on the FH Coury. See my TN above

1 Like

So this is a legit “serious” Oregon Pinot. Dense and concentrated, with lovely polished texture and flamboyant fruity florals. Probably opened a decade too early. Great stuff.

1 Like

The estate old vines is singing.

2 Likes

I posted on this in December 2022. Excellent, ready, lots of life. A more recent bottle seemed fully mature. Jim mentioned that this is all Bishop Block in 2013. It is not one that I would cellar based on the two bottles.

1 Like

2018 Durant Chardonnay

Really a lovely bottle of wine and drinking great. This is all about fruit and minerals rather than matchstick reduction and new oak (which seems to be increasingly popular in Oregon). Odd as this will sound, it reminded me of an Italian white (in the very best way). Perhaps it is the spicy “amaro” and acidity it displays. Delicious with or without food, I find this to be a wine that aims to please rather than be a star attraction. I don’t know its future; I’m not sure that it needs a future. Drink and enjoy.

I was surprised to pull a very soaked natural cork rather than a Diam as is the PRC norm

WOW! Thanks, everyone! Seems I’m going to have a tough time keeping my hands off of these 2013s. :wine_glass:

1 Like

Regarding the PGC 2013’s, I would roll with the Lia’s first as a good introduction. I have not opened any of your 2013/2014 PGC’s recently, but I enjoyed a 2013 Berserkers Cuvee earlier in the summer. Really drinking well at the moment, so I would expect similar results with your wines. Enjoy. I’m waiting on a mixed case plus of PGC 2006’s and a mixed case of PGC 2007’s.

In honor of Patty’s birthday, I took a bottle of 1997 Torii Mor Olson Pinot Noir to the Cork Vault bottle share last night. Lovely bottle of wine with beautiful aromatics and still kicking with plenty of fruit. Seemed to be getting better as it was opened, but finished in about an hour or so. I was able to sample upon opening and savored one of the final tastes. Jeff W. shared a bottle of the PGC 2019 Corrine (Olenik) AnkleBreaker Pinot Noir last night as well. Still a baby, but lots of structure and a bright future ahead. Similar to J. Durhams note above regarding the same wine from 2018…

2 Likes

Those old labels! Yes in 2013 we had a Durant and a Durant Madrone Block. Our first vintage with Durant was 2010 when all we got was the Bishop Block. In 2012 an ill-timed spring hail storm wiped out the block so they sol us fruit from the adjacent-ish yet untouched Madrone Block. Give that the difference was 1973 Pommard versus 2000 Dijon 115 we did not think it was honorable to put out a straight Durant bottling. Hence, the birth of the Madrone Block bottling. In 2013 both warranted bottling so the Durant is simply the Bishop Block without the nomenclature.

In 2014 we shifted to the new iteration of the label to avoid this and several other confusing label issues we had going on.

3 Likes
  • 2021 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Chehalem Mountain Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (10/28/2023)
    P&P with some airtime in the pinot stem. A wee bit of reductive funk soon blows off and we have a very appealing PG right out of the gate. Shows a slightly forward nature, with an immediate impact of sweet cherry fruit and Old Spice after shave (something I often detect in the Chehalem Mt ava). And yet, there is plenty of structure, with clearly a lot to unfold in the years ahead. Seemed to tighten up a bit by the third glass, so I’d opt to drink now or let is sit 3 to 5 years. Oh this was $33. A silly value for your hard earned Pinot dollar. (93 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Thanks for the note. It’s been quite popular in its inaugural year. This is Dick Erath’s original vineyard, planted initially back in 1968. A plethora of “California “ clones were planted here over the past 20 years when J Winery owned it. This bottling includes Calera Clone, Mt. Eden and Dijon 943 as well as more traditional Oregon stuff like Pommard and Wadensvil. It’s a unique blending of clones, certainly for us and likely across the valley. If you count Ribbon Ridge as part of the Chehalem Mountain AVA we made 14 Pinot Noir bottlings, a Chardonnay and a Sauvignon Blanc in 2021 from the AVA.

4 Likes

Agree w/James on all accounts! The 1997 Torii Mor was fantastic and had a lot of life left in it. The 2019 was nice as well, but a baby at this point. You will be rewarded it you can hold onto those for awhile!

Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 4.35.09 PM

2 Likes

Shouldn’t that be in the meme thread?

FYI, WTSO has the 2021 Chehalem Mtn Vineyard Wadensvil Clone up for $24.

I was very taken with the 2021 Highland - Coury Cuvee in a blind tasting two weeks ago. I posted notes here.

I think you meant to write “Hyland.” And of all of PGC’s many PN, it is in my top few favorites. I’ve bought it every year since it’s inception in 2017.

Opened two of my 2013s, to compare and contrast. Both the Lia’s and the Bonshaw:

Half hour in the decanter, then back into the bottles.

I’ve still really new to Oregon Pinot Noir (and Pinot Noir in general) but both of these wines are nicely perfumed with both fruit and tea on the nose, and are both fairly intense on the palate with fruit still very present and gaining in richness over time, along with friendly tannins. They seem both young and old, if that makes any sense. The nose on each has evolved and shifted throughout the few hours I’ve been tasting these two wines. The Bonshaw’s nose at one point reminded me of driving home with my favorite Jersey pizza in the rig, which is one of my favorite aromas in the world. :crazy_face: Glad I picked up an almost-case of these 2013s. As good as these two are . . . I hope to be able to show some restraint here . . . . :joy: :wine_glass:

2 Likes