What Patricia Green Cellars are you drinking?

Glad it treated you well, Terry. When these wines are on, they’re really something.

1 Like

2007 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Old Vine Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (11/7/2023)

What can I say? Another sh*tty 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir.

Loads of cinnamon, some pleasant (but soon-to-be-obtrusive) mineral on the finish. Fully integrated tannins. It had kind of a Tawny Port feel. Went down super easy.

Drink now or forever hold your Pinot. (90 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

All four 2013s I’ve tasted this past month have been wonderful.

1 Like

A bit of a cross post, but had a few 2010 Pinots recently along with the 2010 PG Etzel block. Sensational wine, and bested the group of '10’s including 2 admittedly youthful GC’s.

• 2010 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Etzel Block - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (11/4/2023)
    Quite good and the red that stood out for most others at the tasting. Vibrant and youthful, with a strong core of strawberries. Showing some development with a little orange rind on the nose finish. Spicy vibrant palate, with just a hint of herbal notes (whole cluster?) with integrated structure. Lengthy finish with repeating spice, orange, and mineral notes. I think this may be at it's peak--but no hurry. Everything in balance and there's plenty of acidic structure to age on.
    (single blind this was clearly Oregon given it's fruit profile) (94 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

@J.Vizuete
2 Likes

Thanks. I’m always pleased and somewhat surprised when people have rave reviews of the 2010s. It wasn’t a fun farming vintage at all and we lost crap tons of fruit to birds. Just frustrating all around. Last pick was on 10/31. I intellectually know that they’re good wines but my heart isn’t there for them. Doesn’t mean y’all can’t enjoy them though!

1 Like

Head over to the spirits forum

Or just go straight to the shopping cart :shopping_cart: :grinning:

https://www.patriciagreencellars.com/Buy-Our-Wines/Patty-Green-Distillers

3 Likes

I’ll admit the labels are no Ray Walker items but I’ll also admit the stuff in the bottles ain’t no Ray Walker shit either! Oddly made the choice to sell stuff from companies that I own and that we made! Crazy.

In all seriousness, these are legit whiskeys. Wouldn’t sell them if I didn’t believe in them 100%.

7 Likes

Can’t wait until you can ship!

1 Like

@Jim_Anderson

Can One purchase and have held for pick-up at a later date? I have business in Portland in December at some point. I was able to sample on our visit a couple weeks ago a would love to secure some for myself and a couple gifts. Excited to hear more about the entire program!

Absolutely!

PSA: I posted this in the WTSO thread earlier, but I’m guessing readers of this thread will also be interested to know that PGC ‘Marine Sedimentary’ Chehalem Mtn 2021 is currently up at WTSO for $23.99.

Happy hunting!

So, I knew I’d probably be opening this one wayyy too early, but I was tasting Walter Scott’s SVD ‘22 Freedom Hill Pinot over the weekend, and really wanted to do a side by side comparison.

Both wines are excellent and long agers with tremendous structure, especially the PGC. Dark fruits are the hallmark of Feedom Hill, but both use a light hand to avoid over extraction, which I appreciate.

Where the wines diverge significantly is stem inclusion. The Walter Scott is 100% de-stemmed, giving the wine a more fruity, fresh/pure overtone whereas the PGC is less fruit forward and shows more spice and a sort of meaty/savory quality. Both are really appealing, and show the effects of stems in a profound way. Oak on both is well integrated and similar proportions of new wood, just different coopers. Vintages are different too here, and I suspect that may be why the PGC has a good bit more tannic structure here with the ‘21.

All in all, both wines are excellent. My preference is toward the more savory PGC, but I’m going to let my next two bottles hang out in the cellar for a decade before I open the next one.

3 Likes

Of the 6 Freedom Hill bottlings we do this one is generally the most “Freedom Hill-y” of them all. The Pommard block tends to produce very dark and robust Pinots even by the standards of the vineyard (I’m not sure where WS’s block is located; it’s a big vineyard). For years we only got 1 acre and because we had started off destemming it in 2012 and 2013 we were tentative about large changes to such a small amount of fruit. In 2019 we added an additional acre and that, along with some seriously bountiful vintages, has allowed us to really dig into a broader range of fermentations. I don’t have notes in front of me but I think this was a combination of 40% whole cluster with some destemmed stuff as well. I can look later and re-post if it’s different.

This wine is much more savory and structured, even when destemmed, than any other part of the vineyard. We get a block of Dijon 115 right next to it that is much easier going and red-fruited. I like this block and bottling a lot. The 2022 Perspicacious bottling comes from a 100% whole cluster fermentation from here. I’m a big fan of the 2021 which is Wadesnvil and I’m interested to compare the two at some point.

1 Like

Jim, I’m now 72hrs out from opening the ‘21 Freedom Hill Pommard Clone and it is absolutely stunning now (and it was already very good). A little softening of everything has really allowed the flavors and aromas to harmonize. This could easily pass for a Chambertin (at 10X price) in a blind tasting.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. Pretty much all the '21s are weirdly better 3-5 days down the road of being open. I stumbled across a bottle of the Estate Chardonnay I had forgotten in the fridge for almost a week and it was singing at over 100 hours of being open. Speaks well to the general quality of the vintage. The Freedom Hill Pommard has its fans but it has been less of a rock star for us in terms of instantly selling out than I always expect. The 2013 version (which we just had and was really delicious) Josh Reynolds (RIP) wrote in his review. "this is the only wine I have ever smelled that reminded me aromatically of the Echezeaux bottling from Henri Jayer-Gilles.” Never had the privilege but I have had my share of Chambertins and while that seems an outrageous comparison I won’t turn it down as a complement.

3 Likes

2013 Patricia Green Pinot Noir Freedom Hill Dijon 115

BDVII purchase. Decant 1 hr. Really pretty crimson red color, surprisingly dark after 10 years. A beautiful beguiling nose that I could sniff all night: savory, earthy, cherry, black tea, orange peel, faint gunpowder? Taste: more of the savory, earthy, cherry notes with some acidity to keep it from feeling too old/soft. A really nice mature pinot that is drinking well.

Jim – any thoughts on holding this longer? Not sure I will have the willpower given how good this one was. Thanks for a great bottle of wine!

2 Likes

The 13s have really been showing. I know a Freedom Hill Pommard recently opened at a dinner for a long-time customer performed at a super-high level. So there is that. I don’t see why this would start any sort of drop off in the near future. Of course, our track record on this wine only goes back to the 2012 vintage so I don’t have a larger body of evidence to draw from for comparison. I do think that our wines tend to be two plus decade wines but that isn’t across the board or vintages. However, given the pedigree of the site and the increasing realization that this is actually a really good vintage I should imagine this will hold for some time. But, smoke ‘em if you got ‘em isn’t a bad way to live either.

A good friend from whom I buy some Chassin barrels really loves this bottling and thinks it’s the top one we make from Freedom Hill. To each their own.

Thanks for the nice words, of course.

1 Like

Heck, I loved the 2021 Freedom Hill 115 on the pop n pour.

1 Like

I did pretty much just that with the 2021 Freedom Hill Dijon 115 last night. It was wonderful.

2 Likes

We opened a 2021 Estate OV over the holiday weekend. just PnP’d it and it was great! opened up a bit as we drank it, but honestly it didnt last very long!

2 Likes