What ONE BOTTLE from your cellar will be your special occasion wine in five years?

At some point in the next 5 - 50 years a 1971 Prum WS GKA.

My secret is I canā€™t type.

1989 Haut Brion, maybe.

40th wedding anniversary for us so something from ā€˜85. Iā€™ve got a CdB Cotton Marechaudes direct from Claudeā€™s cellar about 10 years ago; it should be stellar.

Havenā€™t decided yet, but maybe 1959 dā€™Yquem.

I have high hopes for my 1985 Magdelaine, which I havenā€™t yet allowed myself to try

and you donā€™t look a day over 500!

Donā€™t wait. Itā€™s really great right now.

You can get more for 5 years from now.

as Iā€™ve opined many times, I donā€™t save wine for special occasions. I make the wine the occasion and will open great stuff even during the week. I still drink good and great wine on special occasionsā€”I just donā€™t save it for them. Never know how long you will be here . . .

1 Like

Yes itā€™s really great now but it will also be really great in 5 years.

Thank you for the push; I might have to go visit my storageā€¦

2005 Dal Forno Romano Vigneto Monte Lodoletta Valpolicella Superiore, should be ready by then. My wife and I started dating in 2005 so looking forward to popping a few great bottles to celebrate. Probably going to get an ā€™05 Taittinger cdc, too.

My one last bottle of Seaver GTS Cabernet Sauvignon . Itā€™s a 2012 (I hope to buy again this January) and in 5 years the Mets will win the World Series !!

Five years will be 50, probably VWFRR (the only bottle remaining from a long ago acquired & consumed stash)

Hmm, either a 1993 Rousseau CSJ or 1999 Roumier Amoureuses.

If I had to answer the OPā€™s question in the sense of what will be my ā€œbestā€ wine five years from now to celebrate a special occasion, I would pick the 1986 Mouton Rothschild, which will probably continue to be a special occasion wine five years from now and further beyond my age expectancy. In another sense, I have only two wines held for an occasion special to me: I have two birth year wines, one of which is probably vinegar and the other I hope to enjoy on my 90th birthday.

However, I share Alanā€™s sentiments expressed above: Iā€™m blessed to have a cellar full of good wine which brightens even a dreary, rainy, blah Thursday night (looking outside after a long day at work) and makes an otherwise unexceptional night merry. A good wine can make even such a night a special occasion.

A man after my own heart that popped open a 61 Ducru on a Wed a few weeks back just because.

I feel like this too. Happy to have lots of good wine to enjoy all the time.

If the real intent of the OP was, ā€œWhatā€™s your most precious bottle?ā€ thatā€™s a different question. Iā€™m still not sure what the answer is.

OK, I agree with Alan that you donā€™t need to wait for a special occasion to have good wine. To wit, on a day when work was hell, opened a BTK that cost a lot, just causeā€¦ have opened an '08 Dom just to celebrate being alive on a day when I had word someone I knew diedā€¦ I have no real limitations on grabbing something from the cellar. But, the question was more reflective. If there was some day VERY special to you, what wine in your cellar would you want to open for that day.

The five year goal was because in my case, 65 is a special dayā€¦ however, 60 is upcoming too (unfortunately I donā€™t think I cn share with a larger group on that date due to COVID). No doubt some have no restrictions on what they drink, but I assume some have something they have saved for a special occasion.

I donā€™t own any 30+ year old Burgundy or 40 + year old Bordeaux (I do have some Bordeaux and Burgundy from the 90ā€™s but they would not be my persona choice) and I have some 20+ year old Cabernet. Still, on reflection, the wine in my OP would bee my choice in five years.

For what itā€™s worth, I find it very easy to open old bottles that Iā€™ve acquired recently, for example I recently bought two 1962 Torres Gran Coronas black label. Iā€™ll certainly drink a bottle by next year. The bottles I have a harder time opening are the last few of something Iā€™ve kept for 30 years.