What Kelley Fox Wines are you drinking?

For whites, yes. Have had many issues with the CE Chard over the last few years. No issues (yet) with any reds.

Me too. The 2016 CE aged way too fast.

1 Like

I just drank a 2016 CE Blanc that was also way too advanced. Such a freakin’ bummer when that happens.

1 Like

I have a couple 2014 Maresh. Anyone tried this recently?

Thanks for mentioning this…I had looked for it some time ago. Went to the website and ordered 6.

1 Like

Only 45 cases made. I could resist no longer and just ordered a couple of bottles.

1 Like

Greatly enjoyed a 2018 Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks the other night. This wine has it all going on. Scored it a 96 on CT. How can a wine be so light, but so substantial at the same time?

6 Likes

2023 Albariño - Another tiny production wine (96 cases). I’ve only had one Spanish Albariño and none from OR, so I have minimal frame of reference, but I can say that this is really unique and interesting. The nose seems light and delicate like an Alpine white while the palate is far more weighty. This is not for the acidity wimp as it is loaded with tart green apples and lemon pith along with intriguing hints of dandelion stem and elderberry leaves. It would cut right through rich sauces. I like it very much and can see how this is meant to be drank over the next summer. However, I’d like to see how it develops over the next year or two.

1 Like

Lovely tasting with Kelley last week (as always) went through all of the 22’s I think? I’m a homer for her wines so don’t ask which was best :slight_smile: most surprising the Gruner and on the second day it was singing! Of course bought 6 more!

Scott - I am very excited to be able to tell you that the wine on the far right is the 2023 Barbi Pinot Blanc. It is as yet unreleased and fantastic!

I am aware and agree, it’s on the far left in the pic iirc :slight_smile:

Agree on all counts, plus such a beautiful, sun kissed label too!

Yep. Another nice one by Violet Fox. That is the view from the vineyard which provides both Albariño and Gruner Veltliner.

1 Like

Really? Try wines from Granbazan, Albamar, Senorans, Do Ferreiro, and Raul Perez. And in Portugal it’s called Alvarinho. The Anselmo Mendes Contacto is always really nice.

Good reminder it’s time for me to dig into my '18 Lark Block Chardonnay or one of the '19 Pinots from Kelley Fox!

2 Likes

Hey Marshall,

Thanks for the recommendations. However, between all the wines that I already own and need to drink, and all the wines I will continue to buy and need to drink, the odds of me exploring a new region are somewhere between one and zero.

I have also never had an Austrian Gruner Veltliner, but that isn’t stopping me from currently drinking a glass of 2023 Kelley Fox Gruner Veltliner! @Scott_Watkins nice buy! The strong second vintage of this in a row.

1 Like

Three 2023 Pinot Blanc drank over three days.

Stater - a new vineyard for KF located in the Dundee Hills between Durant and the original Eyrie vineyard. Aged in stainless steel. Pale yellow, creamy lemon curd, medium acidity. A bit of tannins? Intensity lingers on the top of the tongue. Needs a bit of time to develop. Seemed Chabliseque.

Barbi - Freedom Hill vineyard aged in aged acacia puncheon. Medium yellow. Floral nose of apple and cherry blossom. Richer, rounder, and warmer than the Stater. It is more complete at this point. This a wine to drink slowly and savor.

Freedom Hill - aged in used barrique. Pale, metallic yellow. Honey dew. Sea brine. Also rich, but less so than the Barbi. On day one, my wife thought she picked up a bit of lightly toasted marshmallow.

We went back and forth liking the Stater or the Barbi best, but they are all excellent. Some of the best whites coming out of this winery and some of the best non-Chardonnay whites coming out of Oregon.

3 Likes

A recent email announced the release of the 2023 Blueberry wine. The taste I had was even better than the 2022. Also in the email was a sale for the 2022 Nerthus for $17 ($14.45 club price) and 2023 Gruner Veltliner for $24 ($20.40 club price). These are listed on the website. These are crazy good prices for excellent summer quaffers. BTW, my understanding is that 2023 (not yet released) will be the last year for Nerthus. Load up.

I was curious about the blueberry wine - thanks for commenting

The 2023 Blueberry Wine we made is bonkers good. It’s much more vinous aromatically than the quite vinous 2022. It’s like higher end Burg sort of nose. IMO, YMMV. Strongly blueberry in flavor but also very dense and structured. Easily mistaken for a vinous wine. I would put this up against any fruit wine ever made.

3 Likes