What is YOUR most rare wine?

Funny, I just opened a magnum of Doix from 2002 for thanksgiving… before they started rating it. Anyway, I have an early Magnum of Alban Reva! Or a 1987 bottle of Philip Togni direct from the winery.

a bottle of NV dandelion wine that is about 20 years old. Didn’t motivate me to start a vertical.

Hi Viscardo, I think Matthew is trying to say that we (not you) are acting like adolescents, and that we are lesser for it. Please stick around. I’m fascinated by your bottle from Campania.

My most rare? Besides the bottles without labels, probably either the aforementioned Bedrock Puccini (150 bottles, never released) or the 2013 Turley Uboldi Alicante Bouschet (never released, and one-time-only; the website doesn’t admit it exists.)

Proof they exist. 1/48 '13 EMH Special Selection mags and the elusive '12 Bedrock Zin Puccini.
image.jpeg

Sure, but all the people who have them are reading this thread :slight_smile:

Very true.

1977 Taft Street Garage Zinfandel. Made by John Tierney, of Berkeley’s Wine and the People, in his garage on Taft St in Oakland. He later started Taft Street Winery in Sonoma County.

In 1978, I was at a tasting of many 1974 CA Cabs. In those days, the average alc % was under 13. I hated the Phelps Insignia which came in at 13.9%. John liked it, so I traded the bottle of Insignia I had for three of his 1977 Zins. I still have one.

If we are throwing format in, I have every single 3l bottling of 2013 Fritz Haag Spatlase, Auslese and Auslese GK produced, also all the Lauer 2014 Kab magnums. One or two others too.

If the package counts, I have a magnum of 1961 Margaux signed by Corinne Mentzelopoulos and Paul Pontallier. Probably not too many of those floating around. It’s empty though - drank it with them.

I’ll jump in…

I have two bottles of the 1983 Charles Moncaut Cote Rotie which is apparently the Gentaz-Dervieux release with a negociant label. Cellar tracker shows 10 bottles in cellars, which, with my 2, would make for at least a case left in the world.

2003 Carlisle Mondeuse noir - total production was 192 bottles.

Well, there are quite a few …

Maybe the 3 bottles left (of my originally 6) of Styrian Sauvignon blanc “Botrytis” the wine-maker bottled for me and a friend each - before he sold off the whole tank to a negociant … 12 bottles ever bottled (hand written label)

… or the single 0.35 l bottle of Pinot noir I made and bottled myself from my single vine in the garden, the vine died over the winter after this 1st harvest … I cannot help myself to taste it - it most probably isn´t good … [swearing.gif]

… or the Magnum of Fonsalette Syrah from the late Jacques Reynaud - officially none ever produced …
(has anybody else one?)

As a follow-up to Viscardo’s earlier posts, I’ve posted a request for forumites’ tips about finding good wines when venturing outside of our knowledge. It’s in Wine 101 - the basics forum:

Views / tips welcomed.

Smallest production would probably be my magnum of 2007 T.R. Elliott Single Barrel Pinot Noir. Single barrel (obviously) and only bottled en magnum, so ~150 bottles. Doesn’t even have a back label.

*Dry Riesling from Hirsch Vineyard, Sonoma Coast

*White Pinot Noir from Hirsch Vineyard, Sonoma Coast (1 bottle remains at a restaurant in San Luis Obispo area)

Both made by Hombre sin Nombre/Hellmore

Seppelt St Peters Shiraz. Not available in the US. We have hand carried bottles back from Austalia…

Must have been a long swim!
DiveWine.png

1975 Cuvaison Philip Togni Selection Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon

Nor to UK either.
One of the few Southcorp → Treasury wine brands that was solely focused on the home market. Exports were and still are such a massive element to the group.

I think not many people have this one