What is your "Greg wine?"

Really? Don’t get me wrong, I love the bubblies from Bugey - but…

Everyone knows Greg, nobody knows “Renardat-Fache Cerdon du Bugey”… 95% of the people IN THE WINE BUSINESS don’t know “Renardat-Fache Cerdon du Bugey”.

Greg is Louis Martini Cabernet, Greg is Cambria Chardonnay, Greg is Vouvray, Greg is Prosecco - Greg is your favorite Chianti Classico…

Greg sucks!

Or Greg is really, really sweet

And steals your girlfriend.

And then tells your wife about it

Greg is annoying.

I’m drinking a Donald wine ATM. Pretentious, overblown and self-important brand-conscious label (lots of those “best in show” fake gold medallions) with little of substance in the bottle, and the “orange wine” color looks frighteningly artificial.

For many years, Ridge Geyserville was one of my “Greg” wines. At $35+, perhaps it’s no longer a Greg but one of Greg’s slightly tonier cousins.

Bruce

Now it’s Gregory

Since the obvious “all of them” joke has already been made by another Greg, and since there was no price cutoff, my MOST Greg wine is Fourrier’s village Gevrey. Everyone likes it.

So let’s get together and do some branding. We’ll license out the name.

Greg-Bob is anything from Bugey-Cerdon. How could anyone not get along with a fun, fruity sparkler from an alpine hamlet near Savoie? Patrick Bottex Bugey-Cerdon is both a Greg wine and a Kermit wine.

Cheers,
Warren

If by really, really sweet, you mean insipid…

hilarious concept. what I think of as a “Greg” wine would be crowd pleasers that are still well-made and have depth to them. Whenever I get together with family members who don’t enjoy wine as much, they still love good Moscatos (Vietti, Tintero, etc.), and kabinett-level German rieslings with some sweetness. Both relatively versatile with food, especially spicy/flavorful food, and light/low in alcohol, and great with a chill. And objectively they can be great wines, especially the kabinetts with age

A few:

Red

Ridge Geyserville (it still does it for me)
Dublere Chorey les Beaune
Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne Rouge

White

Bourgogne Blancs from Bernard Moreau, Dublere or Charles Van Canneyt
Rully from Aubert de Villaine
Kabinett or Spatlese from Zilliken, Reinhold Haart or Prum

Gregoryville

Drank '15 M.F. Richter ET Spatlese at Gymkhana last month. Ordered a case from Robt. Panzer before we left the restaurant.

91089AB0-C65D-45FB-9301-DA73FEAD806F.jpeg

Bergstrom Bergstrom Pinot Noir

It’s excellent every year. It’s very high quality. It goes well with most food. It is neither too rich or AFWE. It has massive aromatics. It has cut but is not too acidic. It is complex but not funky but still pleases most of the burg and funk fans.

The Berg Berg is the ultimate Greg wine. I’ve not found anyone who didn’t like it.