What is the darkest side of wine?

Why on earth would you get a joint account.

Ill not make that mistake if i ever get married again.

Plus 1!!!

I’ve had a joint account for 29 years this November. Guess I’m a lucky SOB. flirtysmile [snort.gif]

Yeah, that may work when you get married at a young age.

If it ain’t a joint account, it ain’t a true commitment (just one man’s misguided opinion.)

…ducking!

This has never been an argument in our household, we keep all of our finances separate. My wife makes way more than I do and yet we split everything down the middle and have joint accounts for Savings. There is never an argument about spending money on wine as I don’t ask about any of her purchases, she doesn’t ask about mine… Now if I was asking her for money or not holding up my end of the bargain then I think it would be different. When we go wine tasting and purchase we put it on our CC and we each pitch in and pay it off.
I think the biggest mistake that couples make is mixing finances, it’s good to be informed about where your partners fiances are, know bills, ect, but when you spend that $10 extra on something frivolous no one needs to know.

Mixing finances and your partner finding out how much money you actually spend on wine is my ‘dark side of wine’.

Kind of how I feel as well. It was my idea, and honestly, even without wine, I spend a lot more money than she does.

the darkest side of this hobby?

marcassin pinot.

Besides the excesses already mentioned, too much rich food to go along with the wines makes it tough to control weight as we get get older. Besides alcoholism and liver disease, diabetes and an overall deterioration of health. Lot’s of exercise is crucial but that’s not always easy to do either.

Alcoholism and drunk driving are clearly the darkest sides of our hobby. Weight gain and general health issues are related maladies. As Charlie said, wine also drives people to spend way more money than they should.

I think snobbery/elitism as an issue is way, way overblown.

Totally agree with you. Figure out what works for you - no 1 way to do this. We got married a bit late (30s). My wife and I have separate accounts and have weekly or so “discussions” about finances. Reasoning for this is that I follow where broadly every penny of mine goes - and check my balances 3-4 times a week. She looks at it monthly (which is crazy to me but works for her). Why would I want to tell her shes wrong or vice versa? I never want to say "you spent how much at “Nordstroms” and how much i spent on wine. We have targets and broadly stay to those - and ask eachother for help when we need to. Married over 7 years with kids and never an argument on finances…though some well placed wine orders - helps avoid this.

I had some newlywed friends ask for advice on finances and my advice was to not follow anyone’s advice - figured out what works for you - shoot its half the “fun” of it. I Stand by that 100%.

Sorry for the rant - just one of my pet peeves.

Also, I’ve always thought Constellation’s “Project Genome” was a rather dark and disturbing exercise.

Screen shot 2014-09-29 at 8.43.34 AM.png

Perhaps, but obviously very successful targeting and catering to the masses out there. Gotta give them credit where credit is due.

Weight gain for me. Of course that has more to do with me cooking dinner and always falling prey to the Jewish fear of “what if there isn’t enough food on the table?”.

We have separate accounts. I know Arnold thinks I spend too much on wine and I know he knows I think he spends too much on estate sales and it all balances out much more happily without actual numbers being seen by either side :slight_smile:

5 out of 6 wine drinkers are women [wow.gif]

At least the ones who shop at the supermarket are. Also, the only “image seekers” are young black males.

[snort.gif] [snort.gif]

I think they missed “rampant alcoholic” though I suppose they might be deemed ‘enthusiasts’

FWIW I see market segmentation such as this to be a lazy generalisation aimed at simple people (i.e. brand managers)

Why is the dark side always the bad side? Just for once I want the villain to wear the white hat.

Because Star Wars said so.

[snort.gif]

If people really think this I feel sorry for them.