What is the darkest side of wine?

[nodriftintended]

that’s part of the dark side. 85 points, if we’re going to stick to the semantics of the scale, is a wine that’s above average to very good. “mediocre” would be 79 or below.

[/nodriftintended]

Government control is a dark side of wine for me. State or provincial Liquor Board monopolies with archaic laws that restrict cross border and online shopping and shipping.

Another dark side is the insider boys club that keep secret lesser known wines to themselves. I don’t blame dislike the people that do this as I would likely do the same. I don’t like that the escalating prices of good wines make people take this approach. Case in point, there were some redacted wine names in a recent N Rhone thread.

Mark- set your phone to video & go to a beer or spirit gathering & record yourself telling people that you apologize for looking down on them because you are primarily a wine drinker.

Jesus.

Excess is a good way to put it, but for me it’s not just the excess, it’s how easily we justify our excessive behavior as being perfectly normal.

How many bottles of wine do you drink a week?
I have a normal limit of three.

So excessive rationalization of excess? [wow.gif]

Which is it? rolleyes

Elitism/snobbery does exist and it shows a lack of class / respect. Equally in the real world there is plenty of reverse snobbery that suggests merely buying a glass of wine to have with a meal makes you a snob.

Drink what you enjoy - and at that simple level there is no snobbery or elitism.

Definitely the alcohol.
Someone needs to invent a pill that stops absorption at .05%

My thought exactly!

Well said.

champagne.gif

Elitist, but not pretentious!

Philatelists are stamp elitists, numismatists are coin elitists, gourmands are food elitists, we are wine “elitists”…it’s all good.

Totally a fun word to play with.

Something I feel no one ever talks about is debt.

I know quite a few people with massive Credit card debt from wine purchasing. I knew when I first started I bought way more wine than I could afford. Keeping up with the Joneses gets expensive and if you aren’t careful enough you might end up with some maxed out credit cards :wink:.

Buying beyond one’s means is probably common with many luxury goods - a reflection of priorities in society today I am afraid. I’m not in any debt, but in retrospect I would prefer to have more in my retirement account than Domaine locker(s), so watch CC.

Similar, and related to the OP, is the idea that buying knowingly mispriced goods is sometimes celebrated.

But just think of all those credit card points!

[snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Cha Ching. Spot on, I have a few friends who go too deep sometimes and their wives blame it on me. Oh well, life is too short to worry about the small things.

I have a very different perspective on this due to circumstances I have posted about on this board previously. Most of my life was as a teetotalling non-drinker due to living life with a prescription pill and alcohol addicted relative who finally and I would argue somewhat deservedly passed in 2010 after getting away with this behavior from their 20’s until age 65 and death.

At the same time coincidentally or perhaps not, I finally began to delve into wine and today am a healthy and happy mostly sweet wine drinker and collector. As such, there is no dark side to wine for me.

Because of the previous early negative exposure and connotations, everything that is being associated with the dark side by all the posters so far I have consciously and easily avoided. I don’t use credit to buy wine, if I can’t buy it now I exchange or wait until I can; I don’t overindulge or use it to sooth my pains physical and especially mental so I alcoholism is not an issue (Thank God); I support local wineries when I can get out to them and bypass the government monopoly to give profits directly to them.

Because of these conscious steps, I associate no negativity in my life with wine at all; only pleasure and joy. I’m happy to say that the point of the thread is somewhat moot to me and just thought I’d offer up that perspective. Of course there are negative aspects to anything that brings us joy in life if they are overdone to excess. Keep the reins in check and I see no reason why wine can’t bring a lifetime of joy. I wish I’d learned this 10-20 years ago but I guess it only happened now in my life because I was finally ready and willing for it to happen.

I got married in May and the first argument/disagreement my wife and I had was about how much money I spend on wine. Prior to being married she knew I spent a lot. After we got married and got a joint account and she could see exactly how much and, well, you know what happened then…

you spent more? [wink.gif]

Closet white zinfandel wine snobs.