What is the creme de la creme of 82 Bordeaux?

Good point!

I also think Pichón Comtese and Latour are top two wines. My second tier would include Lafleur, Haut Brion, Lafite, La Mish, Cheval, Petrus. Third tier would include La Conseillante, L’Evangile, Gruaud, GPL, Ducru, Cos, Margaux. Mouton is a funny wine. I always think it will be great but it never seems ready.

My under the radar wine would be La Lagune.

I would add 1982 Léoville-Las Cases to the category of “great, but it never seems ready” too. I am also giving an honorable mention to Grand-Puy-Lacoste. Well cared for bottles of G-P-L are extremely enjoyable and can deliver the goods. I have had both in the last few months that were from a single-owner cellar that was well maintained and these bottles were purchased on release. Granted, perhaps neither in the crème de la crème category, but truly excellent wines.

For me the 1982 Latour was always my favorite. Unfortunately, I have none left and the only 1982s I have left aren’t on anyones list - Cos, Figeac, and Calon-Segur. But I will enjoy them just the same.

No no no!

It is clear now that Leve and the Bordelaise have seen the merits of my zealous arguments of classicism, the beauty of my rustic, clunky palate, and my obsession with herbs and Cabernet Franc! They are coming to me, baby!

1 Like

[worship.gif] Single-handedly Alfert has Parkerized deParkerization.

The last time I drank all the 1982 FG was a year ago at a BWE offline. Then the order was

1. Latour
  2. Mouton
  3. Haut Brion
  4. Lafite
  5. Margaux

All bottles all seemed to be sound. The gap between 2 and 3 was large, as was the gap between 3 and 4.

Among other 1982s I love Cheval Blanc and l’Evangile. Never tasted Lafleur. Petrus? Not worth the price even more so than usual. Canon and Branaire Ducru were outstanding 15 years ago but have since fallen off. La Lagune purchased in the 1980s might still be good. If you buy now at auction the probability of getting a good bottle is extremely low; maybe .15.

We are bringing AFWE to the unwashed masses!

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

This really belongs in the 2021 thread. But 2021 is perhaps a bit too silky for you, but it has everything else you, and the other AFWE’rs are in love with.

Just fwiw
not to forget Leoville-Poyferre …
on par with GPL … and imho better than LBarton and La Lagune …
a tiny bit less persistent than LLCases and PL …
but still strong …

All the highlights have been mentioned — I’ve never had the Latour, but the Haut Brion and Lafleur are my tops with PLL in third — but there are so many wonderful “secondary” wines as well.

My go-to has been the 82 Beychevelle which has given that 95+ point magic on many occasions. The 82 Dominique St Emilion can really wow when on, and while it may be on the downslope nowadays, several bottles of the 82 l’Arrosee have been divine and super complex. I am a huge fan of the Magdelaine and Canon as well, which are both still on form from my cellar.

FYI, Premier Cru went out of business.

1 Like

Mouton, Margaux, LLC. Haut Brion and La Conseillante wd be my top 5 tho La Miss, Evangile,Cos and PLL were also terrific

I had an 82 Palmer a few months back that was very enjoyable

At first I thought this a non sequiter. But then i figured out what you meant. I am slow.

1 Like

Don’t forget the stunning Trotanoy 1982 …

1 Like

Cool. I have an 82 Canon sourced from the original purchaser. Ready to pop! The 82 a Magdelaine is killer. I have one left, plus an 86, 89 and 90.

A number of us did a 1982 dinner, with the wines coming from a friend’s cellar who’d owned them since release. Unsurprisingly, the Pichon Lalande and the Haut Brion were real standouts. The Lynch Bages was a notable and surprising disappointment.

My 1982 favorites are Latour and Pichon Lalande.

All wines drunk in the last five years:

1. Lafleur

2. La Mission Haut Brion

3. Mouton-Rothschild

4. La Tour Haut Brion

5. Le Pin

The NEXT 10 (ten) are simply personal favorites for each of us, which is significant to your personal preference and pleasure!

Whatever, ENJOY, 'cause rarely does a vintage as perfect as 1982 become available. The worst 1982s are as significant as the best in many vintages!

ENOY!