What is the best non-Burgundian Pinot Noir you have ever tasted?

Hi,

I’m not thinking here of wines that attempt to be what they are not, i.e. Burgundy.

I am thinking of wines with balance and great varietal character, not imitation Burgundy.

As for myself, I would probably have to answer wines from Valais, Switzerland.

I’ll be interested to read what others have to say.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Alex, interesting question. I’ll be interested in WBers’ answers.

People can probably guess my answer. I’d say a top NZ PN, an Ata Rangi (eg 2006), Felton Road or a one-off like the Martinborough Vineyards Reserve 1998 or some Mt Difficulty SVs.

To be fair, I haven’t had much top end Oregon, Tasmanian Aussie etc (or even Swiss PN). However
in Burgundy in June more than one winemaker described NZ as the second best PN producing country in the World.

Cheers, Howard

I had several really good Pinot Noirs from Austria and Germany - and also from Switzerland:

A: Preisinger, Schloss Halbturn, Paul Achs, Wieninger, Kollwentz, Pittnauer, Markowitsch, Pöckl, Umathum, Pfneisl, Bauer …
GER: Stodden, Ziereisen, Huber, Meyer-Näkel, Fürst …
CH: Gantenbein, Mathier, Donatsch, Fromm, Chambleau …

However, most wines I have tasted and liked young(er) - and have experienced that the mature examples very rarely if ever develope the complexity and depth I love in Burgundies. It´s all more on upfront fruit than terroir …
but the best examples can be certainly on the level of better Village wines or good 1er Crus … especially when compared to young Burgs … and I definitely have some mistaken for real Burgs (see list of Austrians …)

I cannot remember a Pinot Noir outside of Burgundy that I have seen on a real Grand Cru level - not young, and far less mature …

Unfortunately the price level of the best Swiss and German PNs are already on Grand Cru niveau - so not the slightest interest in purchasing any …
while some really good Austrian PNs can be bought between 15/18 and 40 € here … (no idea what´s available in the States …)

Nice thread Alex!

Had an Ata Rangi 2006 last week. Rather good, and a treat to try it 6 years since finishing my last bottle (lesson learnt), but if I’m being fussy, not quite ‘together’ and resolved yet. While I’ve only tried it twice, from varied tasting notes I get the impression perhaps bottle variation plays a part in this legendary Kiwi wine, even under screwcap. But that could equally be due to different palates and the wine evolving.

For me, and having tried very few US Pinots of note…

Felton Road Calvert 2007 (in 2012)
Felton Road Block 5 2007 (in 2022 :slight_smile:
Bass Phillip Premium 2001 (in 2013) - The 2009 is also very good.
Pegasus Bay 2002 (this year)

Cheers and Happy New Years everyone!

I agree. I am a big fan of some Spätburgunder, but some of the best ones really price themselves out of my range/interest.

It’s got to be a toss-up for me. They’re both from Oregon.

1990 Elk Cove Vineyards Pinot Noir Reserve - This was the BEST aged (20+ years) Oregon Pinot I’ve ever come across. However, I think that in time the wine below could best even this bottle.
2005 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Etzel Block - I’ve only got one bottle left. It was the most amazing medium-aged Oregon Pinot that I’ve had to-date. I’m doing everything in my power to snag any spare bottles I find…

Best I’ve tasted, and caveat is that these have all been relatively young:

Rhys Alpine
Soliste l’Esperance
John Thomas
Arterberry Maresh

Just had a Chilean PN bought on a lark from Last Bottle that was fruity and nearly undrinkable to my tastes.

Are the good New Zealanders available in the states?

Let go back to the basic.

Even for Burgundy your best may not be my best.

I tried some Calif PN in the early 90s and did not stay there for too long.

Lately I tried again from vintage 2004, 2005 and 2006. So far not too convincing but I am hanging onto some of them to see how they will evolve into maturity.

So the answer for this interesting queston is not easy; but it is fun to talk about it.

For me so far Gerhard has tbe best answer.

Right now PN from Califorina and Oregon are getting too pricey for me to buy here in Quebec, Canada. So I will keep on buying the Mercurey and Marsannay from my favourite producers - at half of the price of Calif and Oreg PN.

For the PN from Austrilia and NZ, I am too young to appreciate them so I will let Mike During buy all of them… [pillow-fight.gif]

My first Cristom was an older “Reserve” at a restaurant. It prompted me to join their club and got me interested in Oregon PN.

I had a couple of excellent older Elk Cove PNs a few years ago out in OR. I forget the vintages as I wasn’t as obsessively into wine then as to store that information. How are the wines now? Still as good?

I had this in 2011…I’d buy more if I could find it stored well.

Kirk, I meant to ask about more recent vintages. Sorry for being unclear.

1991 Eyrie Vineyards South Block Reserve. The best Pinot Noir I’ve ever tasted.

Best was probably a 1991 Mt. Eden Pinot Noir

Some very close runners up:

1996 Mt. Mary Pinot Noir
2004 Rhys Home Vineyard Pinot Noir
2001 Arcadian Gary’s Pinot Noir

2009 Marcassin Estate was phenomenal last weekend

For me it’s one of:
Arterberry Maresh Maresh vineyards
Scott Paul Audrey

Both are from the Maresh vineyards in Dundee Oregon and both are typically stellar regardless of the vintage.

An Archery Summit Arcus (can’t remember the vintage) about 10 years ago at Le Bernardin was one of the best non-Burgundian Pinot Noirs I recall drinking.

I’ll go with Anthony’s theme: 1996 Eyrie Vineyards South Block Reserve, tasted in September last year. Stunning.

In 2013, I opened a 2007 Joseph Swan Saralee PN that turned out to be one of the most memorable bottles of wine I’ve had in a long time.

Michael, the recent Elk Cove isn’t bad, but I don’t think anyone will consider it great.