What I wish I had

Was drinking with my tasting group over the weekend and this topic came up. Curious what others think about platforms, tech, tools, accessibility, etc. that you wish you had as a collector. I’ll start with a few of the things that come up in my group:

• more detailed provenance on auction sites. “stored at professional wine storage facility” on a 30+ yo wine is probably leaving some key details/stops out.

• Also would be nice to know how many times a bottle has been traded.List item. Seen some wines that have 4+ different auction house/retailer stickers plastered all over the bottle. Shocking no one when it doesn’t show well.

• Any worthwhile transportation alternative to fedex/ups and/or an inexpensive way to log temps while in shipment with guarantees from shipper and/or source

• Ability to buy/trade wines more easily in the US. Have always been envious of those in the EU that can buy/store/sell wines in bond. I know it’s difficult here with all of our archaic compliance/state by state laws but a guy can dream

• a site where I can easily find all pertinent wine info in one location. data nerds unite

3 Likes

i want to be able to reserve wines in advance at restaurants with one click so that when i arrive, it’s already on the table without having to waste time looking at a list, waiting, it’s sold out, etc.

as a commercial storage customer, i want to be able to browse other collections for items to purchase directly from another collector and transferred seamlessly into my “collection”

10 Likes

This must be heaven, tonight I crossed the line.

3 Likes

well, you’re already surrounded by a ship of fools.

1 Like

I want the non-Loire portion of Alfert’s cellar in mine instead

1 Like

I almost always scour the wine list online in advance so i dont piss off my wife at the table

5 Likes

What would you do with all that Ovid?

1 Like

My friend Virgil will take it off my hands

2 Likes

same, but which button do you press to order it beforehand though?

also, is your wife and my wife the same person?

From Danville?

2 Likes

and I’ll take the Loire! Alfert really doesn’t need wine anymore …

1 Like

Blockchain tech can easily solve for this and I suspect this will be normal auction transaction history in the future. We all value provenance so this seems like a natural evolution the market will demand. I’ll assume that in ten years, the majority of wineries will have their bottles identified on chain. For my own pockets, I can only hope that Ethereum or Solana will be that preferred chain :pray: :wink:

1 Like

That is how it works where I store part of my collection here in Copenhagen. It is pretty awesome. Found a lot of good wines I purchased directly to my account.

3 Likes

Since I rarely buy wines at a restaurant, what I would like is for all restaurants to include their BYO corkage policy on their website so I don’t have to call them to find out what it is.

7 Likes

Agree with this

Mr. Wizard, I want a Time Machine (and a big budget), to go back 20 years to buy all those Burg bottles I didn’t know I was missing.

1 Like

I wish I were 30 years younger so I could drink all my wine.

1 Like

I wish there were a way to have more women collect fine wine and participate in off lines.

2 Likes

Sorry, not in the EU!!! UK only!!!

2 Likes

no FOMO