What green vegetable goes best with red wine

Somehow, I feel I should not chime in here… :slight_smile:

Yes. Also google “Utica greens” and prepare with dialed back peppers. I like adding destemmed and seeded chiles de arbol.

What red wine(s)?

This. Peas or green beans are probably the least likely to interfere with wines, but one who knows their way around a kitchen should easily be able to prepare other green veggies in a wine-friendly manner.

I find garlic to be terribly unfriendly to red wines; if any of your guests are the same you will ruin their wine experience if you cook with any more than a little garlic.

Pre 1980 reds from Bordeaux Burgundy and Spain

Fried lettuce (Romaine works well).

Later in the year, okra.

I like the endive suggestion and also suggest braised fennel and also mustard greens. Or dandelion greens or collard greens.

And fried lettuce

Karl – do you fry in oil? Or do you mean saute? I have grilled lettuce before - curious about frying it.

The dandelion greens, or even arugula is an interesting idea – I see that as a nice palate cleanser from the meat and other heavier dishes – though not combined directly with the wine. I.e. a nice fresh bite of something green – then back to the meat or potatoes and back to some sips of wine…

Perfect time of year for baby squashes!

Succulent! Plus, you can mix green and yellow for presentation!

If you are so inclined, larger squashes are great through a noodle-izer and sautéed in your favorite fashion!

In the South they fry lettuce in bacon fat, but you can certainly use a different oil.

Yes dandelion greens would be a more contrasting taste - to refresh the palate and inspire further wine drinking.

Agree w Scott definitely NOT asparagus! Kills every wine!

Rapini has been my favorite. I had duck fat potatoes, rapini, NY strip with a big red last night. I’ve been cooking the rapini in a really hot oven with garlic and red pepper flakes. I think the dry heat roasts it a bit and steams less and brings out the flavor better. It’s the Andy Boy brand rapini. A microplane of Reggiano over the top is also good.

I forgot baby bok choy!

Just a quick stir fry in your favored accent oil and does well with vino.

I would mention broccoli rabe with oil / fennel.

Green beans / haricots with a little sliced bacon or prosciutto are great too. I usually par boil them first then finish them in the frying pan. Easy especially with an electric kettle.

Grilled endive, radicchio and romaine in olive oil, garlic and then high quality aged parmesan or even a long aged gouda. The grilling and the aged cheese would help make it red wine friendly, I would think, and garlic is just tasty! Plenty of pepper and a touch of salt.

Hmmmmm, I’ve literally never considered bok choy outside of a stir-fry, and I’m now realizing the folly of my ways. Thanks, Anton! [cheers.gif]

I’m going to be contrarian here. If you grill the asparagus over an open flame and then finish with good olive oil, sea salt and grated lemon it tames the greenies.

Great with a tri tip or sea bass, so works with a Northern Rhône or high acid Italian white

I agree with you on this, Matt. But it still wouldn’t be a vegetable I’d serve under these circumstances (group; nice wines).

Do endive and fennel qualify as green?

I have no trouble pairing reds with asparagus/broccoli/brussels if they’ve been grilled or oven roasted at high heat with plenty of oil and have a good char on them.

I’m very sensitive to bitterness, and these would all destroy my palate for wine. I think it’s important to keep in mind that there might be other people like me at this event.