What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Marcus has some good notes on most of his vintages that you can reference when making decisions: Vintages — Goodfellow Family Cellars

2 Likes

Any one that wants to safely dispose of their 2007s can contact me a shipping address

I agree with Scott 100%. In part, we agree that the whites are best while they still retain some of the freshness of youth. They can age longer, but that is not my preference. For the reds, I’ve often found them similar to how Nebbiolo behaves: approachable on release, then shut down hard, then slower re-emerge some years later. They benefit from long decants (2-8 hours). And I’ve yet to have one that was “fully mature.” Of course, the lower tier, middle tier, and top tier wines will all behave accordingly. So yeah, like Nebbiolo.

2 Likes

Hi Charles,

Some good information above. I tend to think the different vineyards evolve at a slightly different pace. Typically:

Durant and Dundee Hills bottlings are a bit more approachable due to the deeper soils. The Chardonnays are really lovely, early and again from 6-7 years in bottle on. I agree with Chris that I like them with some freshness, but there is often a good window at 9-10 years where the wines seem to brighten up and go back to showing more acidity vibrancy.
The Pinot Noirs have an early window, but with tannic structure under the fruit. Dinner wines for sure, and then they really get going around 7-8 years in the cellar.

Fir Crest Pinot Noirs seem similar to Durant but often can be very tasty with just 4-5 years in bottle.

Temperance Hill is a much more powerful and structured vineyard. But the 2017s are already evolving into a nice window, though still very youthful. I’d make sure to hold a bottle into the second decade though. The Chardonnays are new to us, but have plenty of power and I would guess will easily live 10 years.

Whistling Ridge-the most elegant and most structured of the vineyards. In typical vintages, the wines have a nice early window, though they are definitely food wines. They often want a day or two to open up, and decanting often just shuts them down completely.
While they often can be beautiful around 7-8 years, I think 10 is the magic number for typical vintages, and a few more than that is often worthwhile for small crop denser vintages(2008, 2010).
Chardonnays here depend upon your preference but there is usually a shut down spot 3-5 years in that seems a bit flat. Thatms the only thing to avoid.

Typically cuvees that have a bit of press wine, like the WV and AVA bottlings, will evolve sooner. The WV usually drinks well 2-3 years after bottling.

Don’t sleep on sitting on the Pinot Gris for a year or 4, and open the field blend whenever you like. It’s a lovely wine at 10 years but very few bottles survive that long.

This is all very general. I do recommend checking this thread and CT as well. Plus our vintages page or just email me.

10 Likes

Thank you for the detailed guidance!

Last night we had some friends over. I opened a 2020 Willamette Valley chardonnay and a 2016 Whistling Ridge pinot noir (a BD14 pickup) amongst several other bottles. Both were terrific.

Marcus mentioned the WR 2016s are in a really nice spot and he wasn’t lying. It was so good. Everyone loved it.

Chardonnay-wise, my friends had limited experience with anything outside of grocery store California chard. The 2020 WV was a wonderful example of what affordable Oregon chardonnay can be. It was lean and crisp and delicious. Though, I have to say, on day 2 it’s put on some weight and is even better (IMHO).

3 Likes

More of the 2019 Goodfellow Chardonnays. This time with the Durant and Temperance Hill cuvees:

Durant
A touch richer than the '19 Whistling Ridge tasted a couple of days ago. Mandarin oil, fennel, hazelnut. A textural and gastronomic wine with real weight on the palate. Marcus aptly put it, ‘very much in the key of Meursault’

Temperance Hill
Minerality and non-fruit aromas and flavours take centre stage here. A much more prominent reduction. Gun flint, steel swarf, saline spay give way to tart citrus, and fresh garden herbs. Taut and incredibly tense as if a rubber band was stretched to edge of just before snapping. I love nervy wines likes these.

2 Likes

Was this the Berserker Cuvee or the regular bottling?

Normal cuvee. I still have the Berserker cuvee and Richard’s to taste through.

@Marcus_Goodfellow, I’m sure it’s been answered elsewhere in the forum before, but I couldn’t seem to find it, what are the differences between the two Temperance Hill cuvees?

1 Like

Here’s what he sent me about the difference:

2 Likes

Just had my first ever Goodfellow. 2015 Syrah Reserve Deux Vert. Young but excellent. Very impressed.

• 2013 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir 'Mystery' Whistling Ridge Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (3/25/2023)
    Per Marcus, 100% whole cluster Whistling Ridge vineyard. Decanted off sediment and back to bottle. 60F water bath and followed for a few hours. 13.5 abv

Beautiful but subtle nose. Well integrated red tart berries and earthy sous bois. Might be confirmation bias but I feel like I can smell the stems. Palate is beautiful, young, and vibrant. Lively acidity with a crunchy feel. Tart cranberry and tart strawberry. Plenty of tannins that still have some grip. Finish is extremely long and shows nice tannic structure.

Marcus implied the DIAM30 closure contributed to this wine being so young. Based on what I have in the glass, who am I to argue? Regardless, this wine is elegant, pretty, delicate, but retains great structure. Not the most powerful wine but doesn't need to be.

Drink now or hold for several more years (particularly with DIAM30). 92+ quality (92 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Marcus- What to the grapes and/or juice when you decide it’s not enough to move forward?

2 Likes

Hail to Bob Wood for outing the vintage

1 Like

Opened up a 2019 Goodfellow Richard’s Cuvee. Soft and rounded. Probably the most delicate of the Goodfellow 2019 Chardonnays I tasted. Lime, green apple, shiso flowers, sea spray.

1 Like
  • 2011 Matello Pinot Noir Lazarus - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (4/2/2023)
    Bright red fruit aromas on the nose with lots of stemmy freshness. Palate was quite tart and disjointed at the start with not much else. Opted to decant it. With an hour the palate started filling in. Red and black fruits began showing, Rohan duck, hoisin, carob, rhubarb, autumn leaves, crushed gravel.

Some 2011 Oregon Pinots have felt a touch weird lately. Much thinner palates than a year or two ago. With air they fill out some, but not fully. Not sure if they're going though a shut down phase or quickly fading, I suspect and hope the former given how much they seem to open up with air. I think I'll hold off on opening more for a while.

ABV: label notes 13%, Marcus noted 12.8% in his library release email
    Closure: natural cork
    Stem: Grassl Cru
    Decant: 1.5h

Good to know Rodrigo. I was planning to open a 2011 Matello Souris soon but will hold off.

I’ve been holding off on most of my GF Pinot Noirs as I’ve found I really prefer them with a bit of age. That’s paying off, this '15 Durant is drinking very nicely now!

2015 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (4/4/2023)

This is in a good place right now, glad I’ve held off. Clear bright red in the glass with initial cola aroma, giving way to spice drawer, cherry, black tea, and that Goodfellow piney-ness. Light cherry and strawberry on the palate with long, mouth tingling acidity on the finish. It will be hard to stay away from these at this point. Will have to try one of the '15 Heritage No. 4 to see if they are drinking as well.

3 Likes

Typically we cut things off at 55 cases. Exceptions for Riesling and Cabernet Franc…

2 Likes

Hey Marcus, I’ve got some of that '18 Cab Franc but haven’t opened one yet. What’s the target window on that?