What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

• 2023 Goodfellow Family Cellars Riesling Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (5/30/2024)
    It’s remarkable what Marcus is doing across a wide range of varieties, making benchmark examples with intensity and depth of flavor but lithe structures and energy to spare. This Riesling coats the gums with cool lemon and lime while hinting at flowers and stone. The finish is persistent but as soon as it’s over I want to take another sip. Well done.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Decided to pop one open after seeing a recent TN. I think this still needs some time. Spicy and earthy on the nose and palate, less red fruited than I recall on release with just some subtle black cherry and raspberry notes.

2 Likes
  • 2022 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Berserker Cuvée Temperance Hill - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (6/1/2024)
    Crickey this is a early cork pull, but as often is the case curiosity got the better of me. Straight to the point, this is simply too young to drink. There was a sponti like aromatic on the nose that while not displeasing, it certainly was omni present throughout to the last glass. Ok, that out of the the way, the raw material appears to be exceedingly promising. Showing glimpses of its future with crazy good cut and tension, little fruit but a very mineral driven wine, impressive coverage and breadth on the back end. Oh, public service heads up: while pulling the cork out with very little force, a portion of glass at the mouth of the bottle cracked, causing very small fragments of glass to scatter. I’m not sure if this was just a one off but be careful when you do open one.

2 Likes

Ive opened one of these and agree its too young right now, but exceptional quality. I inadvertently had my last glass a week after opening and it was wonderful…

Brian, I was going to add ‘decant the living hell out of this if you can’ and not shocked at all that your glass held up for 7 days!

1 Like

Very pleased with the 2023 WV Chard “Vin Soif”

• 2021 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/29/2024)
    Drinking beautifully with an hour of air.

Cherry, dark cranberry, slightly herbal (probably from stems) with good tension and tannins. Kiss of tart raspberry too. Day 2 showed better integration but also more tannins.

Based on prior vintages, I would think this is mostly pressed wine (but I could be wrong). Nonetheless drinks nicely now, 90-91 for me. (91 points)

3 Likes

Didn’t take formal notes, but man am I glad the 2015 Bishop Creek Pinot was included in the WD offer, so awesome to taste something with a little age on it. Outstanding, hugely aromatic, deep and delicious. And a long future ahead!

3 Likes

Helped with triage the last two days. Eight new cuvées are now resting peacefully for a few years.

15 Likes

Opened one of these tonight and my first thought was ‘ I could crush a few of these easily on a nice summer night’. That’s not to say that it’s not complex, as the bright citrus and acid was offset by a beautiful almond finish. My first Goodfellow, can’t wait to start drinking through the rest I purchased.

2019 Temperance Hill Chardonnay

Absolutely love the elegance and transparency of the 2019 vintage. Starting to show just a touch of development. Green apple and lime peel aromas. The minerality on this is intense but playfully dances across the palate. A little too drinkable, wish I had more.

1 Like

Ha! We drank one yesterday, and then opened a 2019 Willamette Valley today. The Willamette Valley was more ready now, but I think the Temperance will ultimately be a better wine. Glad I have several more.

I agree with you on that. Maybe I can convince @Marcus_Goodfellow to add some more to my fall shipment :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s getting close to the 4th of July. Who is planning on popping some Goodfellow bubbles? :yum:

3 Likes

It is getting close to the 4th!

For those who are thinking about digging in, here’s the current state of the wines based on opening them pretty regularly for tasting appointments:

Universally, open them cold and then let them warm up to your preferred drinking temperature. The bubbles are fine, but can cascade if you open the bottles warm.

If you like more traditionally styled sparkling wines (richer and slightly more oxidative), I would really recommend the Durant as the first choice. That said, it has a slight reductive funk when it’s first poured. That should blow off in less than five minutes (usually more like 2-3). It showcases the lovely tranquility of the vineyard, and the grain/dough influence of the extended lees contact of the reserve wines.

If you like a more zingy, refreshing style of sparkling, the Willamette Valley Extra Brut is a good choice. It’s bright, with a bit of a laser focus, but is also starting to show a more complex nature as it opens up. I like to open this one a day ahead, taste it and restopper the bottle for 24 hours before drinking it.

If you prefer a dry style of wine with some salty seaspray and flinty reductive notes, the Whistling Rdge is the choice. It’s labeled Extra Brut, but there is no dosage added so the finish is bone dry and, IMO, is the wine that will enjoy some cellar time the most. I also think opening this a day, or two, before drinking it is a good idea.

With the protective CO2 layer in bottles, all of these wines really evolve over time. I think the Durant is the most ready to go. With the warmer vintages in Champagne lately, IMO, all of these will seem brighter and more acidic than most Champagnes with base wines of 18, 19, or 20. And I definitely would suggest food with the WV and Whistling Ridge.

14 Likes

Thanks Marcus!

Put a bottle of the Durant in the fridge on Monday.

Finally popped a 22 Berserker Cuvee and man this is great! The note from @B_Buzzini back in April is pretty much spot on. Likely will check in on the 21 soon as well

Also popped the 15 Durant Heritage over the weekend for my in-laws. Really great as well but likely opened too early. It really started to blossom at 3+ hours. Gained energy and brightness of the fruit, plus the layers of spice notes were next level once it came around. Very long decant or wait a few more years.

2 Likes

I feel like many of the wines from 2012-2015 are in a nice spot with 45 minutes to an hour in a decanter, and then enjoy them over a few hours.

While we were in New York we had two older Cristom wines, a 1993 Willamette Valley from magnum courtesy of @Rodrigo_B and the 2000 Marjorie Vineyard that we brought. Both were absolutely beautiful at 30 years and 23 years from vintage respectively. And very definitely in their prime, not remotely tired. And as much as I might not be thrilled at the idea of waiting 30 years for wines to drink, those two bottles came as close as anything to what I want in a red wine. Paralleling a 2002 Barthod Chambolle Musigny and the, 1996 Girard Mugneret NSG bottle @Craig_G brought (my favorite but only barely) to the Goodgellow BYOB in New York.

As much as my cellar is full, I need to figure out how to have more of those wines and less of the middle ground…

1 Like

From time to time I’ll come across a tasting note on CT on a 10-15 year old OR or CA pinot saying it’s tired. I often wonder to what extent the wines are actually tired vs. being in a shut down phase. I often tend to suspect the latter. Both Cristom wines served as a nice reminder of how OR wines can age.

4 Likes