What do you use to monitor temp and humidly in your cellar?

Tag Manager $39
13 bit tag for temp/humid $29
2 x Reed Kumo sensors assuming you want the door open feature vs infa-red $39 each either option
8 bit tag for the f’in keys $25

If you were actually serious about which you needed for all those. Yes, it took some time to decipher what does what, but I think because they all do many.

I wasn’t joking. it seems to also work like a Tile but the website is incredibly confusing and not grammatically correct so I can’t tell.

cheers!

Then the joke is on me. Sorry, Yaacov.

Yes - it seems that the website’s author may not have a perfect command of English.

I’ve been using Sensorist for 2 years and it’s fine. Bottle & room temp/humidity sensors, another for floor water if flooding is a concern and recently installed a door switch which notifies when it’s been opened and again when closed. All linked via home router and I get alerts both on my I-phone and a separate email. Their charting is useful to note seasonal temp and humidity swings. Easy to set up and operates flawlessly if not too many walls between sensors and router…I resolved that issue by installing another inexpensive router outside the cellar.

Bud

I feel inadequate with a low end, non techy Oregon Scientific widget, although most of my swill is a couple of stories underground now.

I pulled the trigger on wireless tag. I got the main unit and a pack of 5 sensors and set it all up yesterday. Piece of cake set-up and now I have real time data on my phone so I can feel like I’m visiting my wine when I’m lonely. Have three wine fridges, a sensor in my humidor and one on the front door. I was most impressed with the door sensor. I just used one of the temp sensors instead of buying the special door one and thought it was magic when it reported to a tenth of a degree how far the door had been opened. We’ll see how long term use goes, but I like the phone pop-ups for alarms along with the emails.

very cool. i’m thinking of getting some for my nyc apartment, but i will want to integrate with lighting and heating on some level.

i can see this a bit of a rabbit hole.

Ok, I just bought a Tag manager and a 13 bit tag. Hope I can figure this out. I’m not particularly bright.

I’ve had my last frustrating experience with LaCrosse. They are fired. I might get a little satisfaction by taking their hardware out back and using it for target practice.
I’m using the .45 ACP. Bastards! [swearing.gif]

Damn. That LaCrosse unit won’t know what hit it!

i just saw that you purchased through my affiliate link. i have no idea how it works, but thanks!

i’m really satisfied with my purchase. and it’s really easy to set up. i’m trying to think of new things to do with it.

I used the LaCrosse temperature/humidity sensor for a few years. I had issues with setting up the device. Emailing LaCrosse was not very helpful and I think they eventually just gave up on helping me. I did get it to work without their help - there were some “undocumented features” in their system. It always bugged me that they’d only store temperature data for 30 days. We’re talking about a couple kb of data! Then they actually lowered the data retention to 7 days. My unit stopped working shortly after that, but to me 7 days of data was completely unacceptable and I wouldn’t have bought the device if I’d known that.

I bought the device to analyze the temperatures in my passive cellar over time. I managed to get a few years of data with the Lacrosse unit, but the “Wireless Sensor Tag” looks intriguing.

so thinking about it, probably the most useful sensor is the Reed Kumosensor with an external probe sensor attached so that you can monitor liquid temp and ambient (can switch between the two on the app). if you want simultaneous temp recording, just buy the cheapest temp/humidity sensor in addition to the reed.

here’s the external sensor i got…

SUNKEE DS18B20 Temperature Sensor - Waterproof Digital Thermal Probe Sensor DS18B20DS18B20 Temperature Sensor - Waterproof Digital Thermal Probe Sensor DS18B20

Link: https://amzn.com/B008HODWBU

store link:
https://goo.gl/xJFVxC

This little gadget is pretty spiffy. Super easy set up and works really well so far. No long cables or repeaters necessary. It just works. Time will tell. The La Crosse usually took me a couple of days to get it working well. I had to run cable down a 55’ hallway to get it to respond. Then it would reliably cease operating about two weeks later.
This summer I couldn’t get it to work at all.[titanic.gif]

Finally got the reed kumo sensor with an external probe working. works perfectly and you can toggle between ambient and liquid temp if you choose. for the time being i’ll keep a separate regular sensor in the cellar so i’m monitoring ambient and liquid temp simultaneously.

the first probe i got didn’t work, but this replacement worked as soon as i plugged it in.

https://amzn.com/B00KLZQ0P8

tag store linK: https://goo.gl/3fYwoU

ybarselah, very neat. I just ordered a manager and a couple of tags. I ordered a lacrosse system about a year ago. It was inconsistent at best, and after a few months I just gave up on it. Everything is still connected and in place, but doesn’t work.

This looks like a great little system.

Thanks!

did you get the reed with the external sensor?

You know, I didn’t even look at them. A bummer considering that they’re only 10 bucks more than the 13-bit tags.

So I have a Wine Enthusiast 166 single-zone unit and keeps a steady temperature quite well. Humidity, on the other hand, seems to be running a bit high. I’ve noticed that some weaker labels are wrinkling. So I bought a digital humidity/temp reader, and humidity seems to run high. Like over 80%. No bottles are touching the sides or back of the unit, so I’m wondering if other than the wrinkling, is there really any issue? And if so, how can I lower the humidity?