What causes wines to “shut down”?

While we’re off on a tangent, I have a related story of the effect of air temperature on perception of mature wines. An almost scientificky anecdote. At a summer (June) event at Ridge - Monte Bello they featured the trio of 95/97/99 Monte Bello, after a current release line-up, on what turned out to be the hottest day of the year. This must’ve been 10-12 years ago. They prep’d the bottles in the cellar and brought them up just in time, as it was so friggin’ hot out. The current release wines all tasted correct. The library trio all showed about 20 years more mature than they were.

I’ll note this was a 2 day event. People who tasted the Saturday, with more reasonable air temperature, all thought the wines tasted excellent and proper. People tasting Sunday, both with me and from different bottles over the course of the day had the same experience as us. There was enough feedback that Ridge invited some of us to come back up for a re-taste a couple weeks later, where they tasted as they should.

So, with the moderately mature wines at proper temperature, but the air temperature at around 96F, this effect was consistent over many bottles from 3 vintages over the course of the day. Something worth being aware of.

2 Likes

It would change the various evaporation rates. So, the primary effect would be on what reaches your olfactory receptors and at what proportion. Of course the temperature something is when it hits your receptors has an impact, and the ambient temperature and humidity have an effect on you, probably both on input and processing of data.

1 Like

No, relative humidity does not affect evaporation of anything but water. That’s a common misunderstanding of the concept of partial pressures. Either way, my contention is that if local weather conditions do actually impact the perception of wine, it’s all due to perception, psychology, perhaps physiology, but not some real change in the wine itself.

I saw a post a few weeks ago (don’t recall who/where), where a producer was admitting some time in their past they tried picking by the biodumbantic calendar and it turned out wines they were very unhappy with, the pick days being too far from optimal for what they wanted to make. (I guess Captain Obvious was on vacation and the Holiday Inn was fully booked that week.)

I’ll look forward to the note. Arcadian’s style of wine can yield scintillating results…I have a few bottles, but I don’t think I’m officially on their mailing list because I never get notice of any releases…I just buy direct from the winery from time to time. Love the half bottles!

1 Like

On wine chemistry, good points about redox points and tannin polymerization. I’ll just add that there are entire wine chemistry textbooks : ) full many more flavor compounds and species that change over time, some affecting or masking fruit and floral aromatics and flavors. Hard to summarize all of this but I’ll give it a shot on the main issues that I have experienced and have had drilled in me.

I currently have a Pinot that after month 6 started to show di- and tri-sulfides, masking the fruit. Perhaps the most well know is mercaptans, but there are more than a dozen of these compounds and they are unstable, changing with time based on the wine’s redox (which can change with an initial after-bottling bump (6mo.) and also includes slow in-bottle oxygen intake via the cork/closure). Volatile sulphuric compounds bring “swampy”, sulfurous vegetable (onion, cabbage, etc), burnt rubber, earthy, fecal, etc., etc., type odors. Keep in mind that at low levels they can be barely, or not very perceptible, BUT nevertheless mask fruit and floral aromatics and flavors.

Same is true for Brett.-caused phenols.

Other compounds that change during bottle aging include fruity and floral esters (branched fatty acid ethyl esters (soapy, oily, candle-like) increase over time; straight-chained (fruity/floral) ethyl esters decrease); terpenes (floral, progressive release over time due to mild acid hydrolysis); glycosylated compounds such as ketones (due to hydrolysis; a bunch of these from buttery, butterscotch, to exotic floral and fruit…); and lactones (oak lactones not only persist, but increase over time; there are also grape-derived lactones that do the same, e.g. in Gerwurztraminer which like Riesling significantly changes over time).

So… like Larry said, this is Holy Grail stuff because all of this chemistry can be happening more or less significantly depending on the grape varietal, how many of these compounds (or their precursors) were released during fermentation (juice YAN?, native yeast? cultured yeast? Daily, twice daily or rare punch downs? Pump overs or délestage? Total skin contact, or gross lees time, Etc), cellar maturation style (reductive or a bit more oxidative with battonage and rackings prior to bottling?), bottle storage conditions, and a host of other reasons.

2 Likes

Interesting thoughts from the other posts. I think a lot of “shut down” wines have to do with air as other posters mentioned. Some start out vibrant but with air the tannins become more prominent. If you wait a few hours, they oftentimes come around again as the tannins soften (although I suspect people don’t 0wait that long). I think people call this shutting down as the tannins and structure becoming more prominent. The palate can seem more austere due to the tannins that overpower the fruit, and can happen around the same time the initial fruitiness of the wine dissipates naturally as it get exposed to air so it seems less aromatic although there’s still a nose. The wines that are completely unsalvageable from the get-go and never change are probably just bad bottles from bottle variation (another topic for another string).

Some of the primary fruitiness on release does naturally die down and integrate after a few years. I’m not sure I would call that shutting down. I think that’s normal maturation process of wine. Sulfur compounds do play a role undoubtedly and it does get more complex from here. As such, there’s no one-size-fits-all for predicting where you’ll catch a wine but again, I would argue this is part of normal (albeit sometimes unpredictable) evolution and not necessarily shutting down to the point you get nothing on the nose or palate. Older wines can be unpredictable so I know many who pop hours early and recork when the wine gets to a good spot.

For the comments about phenolic compounds, I would imagine that one could do an experiment on a wine that does “shut down” with air. You could get a mass spec readout on pour, repeat when it shuts down, and repeat when it opens up again to see what changes accounted for the difference. This would provide a more scientific answer to the question. However, I doubt that all the phenolic compounds go away as I mentioned above, so it’s probably more of a perception or amplitude of the signal issue than a complete loss of phenolic compounds.

1 Like

Rise in barometric pressure will push CO2 out of suspension and pull lees up off the bottom of the barrel as it does.

As fine lees are pulled into suspension it increases bitter perceptions in the wine. Are the fine lees part of the wine? Guess that depends on whether you bottle the wine with any suspended lees…

Either way, in the real world there is a very, very distinct set of perceptive changes in the way a “wine” tastes that accompanies many local weather changes. Particularly in barrel, but also probably the a lesser degree in bottle as well, that are not changes in palate or psychology.

Not really relavant to this thread as these are not really about a wine shutting down, given that most local weather changes weekly while shut down phases are typically considered in years.

Who needs to taste grapes when you have a copy of the Farmer’s Almanac close at hand.

Very much agreed, except for the TCA funk. TCA gets worse over time. If you can tell it’s there, it won’t go away.

1 Like

I wasn’t there, and this theory isn’t fact, it’s a guess.

But a month of being “open” is within the parameters of random chance. It basically would mean having a coin flip come up heads 6-8 times in a row(you worked weekends, so 2 bottles per weekend times 4 weekends). While flipping a coin should eventually wind up at even, statistical analysis says that there will be periods in the early stages where the balance weighs to one side or the other even though the coin flips are random.

Not saying this occurred, just that being open a month and then closed again, and then waffling back and forth would actually not be unusual.

Got it. Way too long ago to remember accurate time periods or numbers of bottles tried. Randomness is possible.

1 Like

[duplicate post deleted]

Is this the conventional wisdom most winemakers believe? Because it’s not true.

Seems like it would be the exact opposite.

+1

If there was TCA, that won’t dissipate with air.

Right, I was taught to rack under high atmospheric pressure (if possible!) because CO2 will be less prevalent and will not stir fine lees. This is kind of tricky in Oregon in the winter [snort.gif]

I’d think about it like this: variation in barometric pressure on any given day is well under 1%, only with more severe storm fronts would you see greater than that. I’m skeptical that this small variation is enough to make a noticeable difference in CO2 behavior, even if that’s a factor. Then consider that a barrel of wine isn’t a can of coke; you don’t have 3 atm of CO2 captured in a sealed container, waiting to bubble out when opened. Honestly, I think this is probably one of those things winemakers have been led to believe through folklore, more than science.

You may be right. This was handed down to me verbally. Nothing in my textbooks about it and I just tried to search the research literature and nothing comes up.

Just drink it over 3 days and see if it is open for business.