What bottle of wine did you open today? (Part 2)

Pinot Gris

2014 Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Sentiers

Light intensity garnet, looks like slightly developed PN. Nose is earthy with soil, mushrooms, cranberries, spicy licorice root, some menthol lift and tar. Palate has a crunchy texture with somewhat resolved but still grippy tannins but feels a little thin. Cranberries, leather, black pepper and allspice, touch of cigarette ash. Finishes medium+. I believe this is at peak right now - age has done its thing, and there is some fruit left. Pleasant to drink but nothing profound.

2 Likes

Great guess, Kris. But incorrect.

Altesse

Hey this was pretty good last night. Kinda rando for me, don’t even remember where I got it. Maybe Lyle. Drinking well right now.

2 Likes

2014 Antoine Sanzay Saumur-Champigny
Timid nose but time coaxes out fresh red berries, some pencil lead and a tiny bit of sauvage/green. The palate is all freshness: crunchy red berries and lively acidity. The sauvage undertones also appear on the palate adding some savory aspect to it. Tannins are fine and mostly integrated. The finish is clipped and the overall feel is a little thin. This wine is missing a little bit of texture or mñche. Easy to drink, plenty of fruit and better when lightly chilled. I don’t see this improving over time but god knows I’ve been wrong before.

Unfiltered: pours hazy and a lot of deposit.

1 Like

I think that this is our first Priorat. We started on it yesterday and we finished the bottle today. I aerated for close to three hours yesterday and the wine enjoyment was ‘good’. Today it was ‘fine’,with noticeable improvement in balance and complexity. I’ll hold off a while before opening our second and last bottle of this. Very recommended, but open it for a long while before drinking.

1 Like

Viognier?

Correct!
I have only had a few Viognier but I found the color of the wine unexpected. By your guessing it, maybe it is not that unusual for Viognier to show this color.
Well done!

2003 PegaĂŒ CuvĂ©e da Capo:

My CT review:
4 hr decant, not that it makes much of a difference. You could leave this monster out to play with the kids all day in the sun and it would still rip your head off at dinner time.

My first da capo. First of all, disregard everything you think you know about Chateauneuf du Pape, this is very different from them and indeed different from other Pegau wines. Sure, you can guess it is southern Rhîne with ease, that’snot what I mean. I mean this is on a whole different plane, one beyond my petty mortal concerns about wine. My experience with Pegau is that they are quite rich, assertive and bold. And the CdC is like that - squared. Massive olive-oil like viscosity, searing cassis, my-head-aplode garrique and gaminess. No excess bacon scents as in other Pegau wines I have had. I had it with lamb but really, I wouldn’t bother trying to pair it with food. This needs to be tried by itself, with seatbelts.

Intense without indulgence. Powerful without simplicity. Almost brutally penetrating. For all the signs of the hot vintage, these are all kept in check - barely. Nowhere near blowing up, years ahead of it.

One of a kind.
Score: 93+?, mostly because I still am not sure what just hit me.
Relative to expectations: +++ and I am giving it max “exceeds expectations” despite the relatively conservative score because regardless of my reactions, this is from the Twilight Zone.

2017 Domaine Alain Chavy Bourgogne Blanc

Pale golden color. Slightly oxidized nose with lemon, ginger, some diacetyl, vanilla and oak. Palate is fresh, medium acid, and has just a touch of oxidized notes. Ginger, slight spiciness, green apples and lemon zest, with minerally finish. Kind of generic and forgettable white Burgundy.

Cheap Souvignon Blanc, as most falls in a similar swim lane of potential and it went well with the tacos that had a high level of heat that kills the palate.

Can’t go to Disney everyday.

Wouldn’t say I’m any sort of expert, but just one of those immediate reflex reactions. Someone else would have to confirm if there’s anything to it. The other that came to mind was an older Rioja blanco I had recently - but sample of one (vina tondonia 2011) and not varietal

2 Likes

What a note! And what a ride! :+1:

2 Likes

Refreshingly modest :wine_glass:

1 Like

2004 Domaine Joblot Givry 1er Cru Clos du Cellier aux Moines
Something wasn’t quite right. From the nose to the palate, to the bottom on the bottle
 it’s a shame really. It felt like all the right stuff was there: ripe berries, spices, earthy and savory notes from aging and all the required acidity
 but something was off. The fruit was a little bit muted and tannins a little dry for a wine this age (TCA?) and the palate was just slightly on stewed fruits and burnt sugar (oxidized). Not in your face at all but just a hint of “not right”. Still did the job with homemade burgers au ComtĂ© and truffled fries. Could have been

1 Like

2021 Weingut Tesch Laubenheimer St. Remigiusberg Riesling trocken

Medium straw. Nose is low intensity, minerally but also somewhat citrus fruity, it has some petrol notes but only a touch. Palate is dry, complex, very fresh with high acidity, lots of flint, minerals, citrus, yellow stone fruit, peach, salinity. Long finish with more minerals and salt.
This is obviously primary and young but when this ages and gains complexity, this will be an awesome wine. Nice!

2 Likes

Only time I open bottles now is with the crew

61-00

nebbiolos

7 Likes

Vilmart Grand Cellier
70% Chard, 30% PN, Disgorged Feb-2022 (02-22-BT)
Way too young. It’s got all the stuffing of a good Grand Cellier but it’s off-balance right now with citrus and crunchy red apple acidity. The core is dense but it’s not layered yet
 it’s all wound up. Wait. Hold.

Charles RĂ©billon Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru La Richemone 2008
Shows some bricking on the edge but still a nice youthful red hue. The nose shows the age with earthy tones and fallen leaves to the blackcurrant and redcurrant. Some sweet spices and a hint of crushed stones appear with time. The palate shows some tertiary flavors but the fruit and structure (acidity, tanins) is still strong. This didn’t budge at all 90 minutes after opening. No deposit at all. Good but not especially complex. It can still hold the road for a while.

2 Likes

2014 Myriad Dr Crane

In contention for my WOTY so far.

1 Like