What bottle of wine did you open today? (Part 2)

For my last night of Passover! Reminds me of four hour long Seders and childhood Shabbat dinners. Can’t say it will improve with age but great with sone matzah and horseradish. Try it over ice!

6 Likes

Nice Syrah from Lebanon with a little age on it, found at a Glendale, CA online wine site. Shipped a few ‘from sea to shining sea’ (i.e. CA to MA). I had previously enjoyed the 2012 immensely, this one very much also, but a tad less lush fruit, which is not necessarily a bad thing at all. Recommended by me and very recommended by Jacqueline. ($24 at Cedar Wines, Glendale)

2011 Domaine des Tourelles Syrah du Liban

3 Likes

Really digging this dark and serious vintage of Bedrock wines.

3 Likes

We had the 2017 version of that bottling last night and loved it.

I have a lone bottle of the 2017. Was going to keep holding onto it.

2011 Woodward Canyon Estate Reserve Red Walla Walla Valley
This had a nice espresso and cassis note on the palate. Tannins were well intergrated. Paired very well with the leg of lamb I made for dinner.

2013 Saunter Eagle Summit, a Berserker Day purchase. Decanted for an hour and followed over another two hours - really hit it’s stride around the 2.5 hour mark. Nice pairing with Santa Maria grilled tri-tip

2021 Sandlands Syrah from SLO. Was a bit distracted, but nice impression.

1 Like

I have 2017 in my decanter right now.

1 Like

2017 Huet Demi-Sec - Apricots and Honey.

3 Likes

2021 Bedrock Ode to Lulu Rose
2020 Tensley Marsanne Laird Vineyard
2014 Saxum James Berry
2018 Turley Pesenti Zinfandel

1 Like

Love the 2020 Tensley Marsanne!! What did you think?

1 Like

2017 Saunter Wines Cabernet Sauvignon Eagle Summit Vineyard

Very young completely opaque purple color. Nose is intense, very ripe with cassis, blueberries, cinnamon, clove, dark toasted chocolate and pronounced alcohol. Palate is very intense, full bodied, mouth filling and very high in alcohol. Cassis jam, dark fruits, oak char, very dark roasted coffee, spicy black pepper. Finishes very long with somewhat soft tannins and some pleasant acidity. Very high quality ingredients but almost too intense.

This is like a rebellious teenager at this time, a bit rough around the edges but over time will hopefully settle down. But right now it is very happy to punch you in the face.

It’s fantastic - my only regret is that I only have one more bottle of it!

2 Likes

I only got to 2 bottles of the 2020. Because it was so great, I got 6 bottles of the 2021 when I was at the tasting room in November. The 2021 is not as good as the 2020.

2 Likes

Blind tasting

2 Likes

After a 4 hour double decant, a fragrant wonderful Barolo at the top of its game.

2 Likes

2015 Chiron Unfamiliar Truth Grenache- Mt. Veeder, Napa Valley, CA

This is f’ing amazing wine!! Ordered 3 bottles on BD and got the shipment two days ago. Since this is a new producer to me and I love Grenache, I had to try one. This is the best Grenache I’ve had from California! Aromas of fresh strawberries, red licorice, blood orange, sage, and rosemary leads the way to a palate that’s fresh and intense with great energy. Tastes of strawberries, lemon peel, and white pepper continue on the finish for well over a minute! Bobby Moy @chironwines is doing amazing things with this grape.

7 Likes

I really like '89 Montrose and though I don’t think it will ever reach the highs that a clean bottle of '90 can, it does not suffer from the potential for an overly bretty bottle like '90.

2 Likes

2020 Pousse d’Or Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets

Quite tight and austere at this point. Had this over a period of five hours and the aromas didnt develop into anything interesting, however the palate suggest good things to come. Dark, ripe fruits and certainly some tannins, but there is a sense of elegance and some enticing acidity which suggest good times to come.

2 Likes