What are your New Year's wine resolutions?

Mine tends to be the same year after year and unfortunately I always break it once the spring allocation season commences, but…

1. To buy less this year than last.

Always fails!

But if I had a add a couple more would be to…

1. Drink more bubbly (as a weekday wine, maybe Grower Champgane)
  2. And focus on an area I am not that familiar with (probably German Riesling)

Cheers!

The main theme is that Im trying to be more of a wine drinker and less a wine “Collector”. Not that I was ever much of a collector but I sold a bunch and am giving myself permission to drink wines that are a bit younger.

Also, less cote d’or and more of certain producers from Beaujolais.

1. Buy more of what I truly enjoy, not just to keep a spot on an allocation list. This forum and others have helped me see that through places like winebid and others, you can always find those hard to find labels.

2. Experiment with more white and more regions of the world.

3. Would like to find some Chicago area folks to form a Zraly’s “Complete Wine Course” book / tasting club and do a chapter or so each month.

same as every other year–significantly curtail purchases. Once again, as always, I will fail.
alan

NO NEW PRODUCERS. Focus on the allocations I have and even those, start cutting (bye bye Barthod I am afraid). What the heck am I buying Chateau de la Tour for??? Because the hommage thing is rare? Stupid.
Figure out a number of bottles to buy per annum, and buy that many - give or take.
No more hunting all over the world for bottles - I am driving the people that bring the wines in for me NUTS…just buy from people with FDA Registration Numbers.

Put the money saved into art.

Put the money saved into art.[/quote]

I doubt this will happen but smart!

WHAT…the end of the truffle pig!!! [shock.gif]

I am driving them nuts with the no FDA registration purchases…probably won’t stop though!

Will, you 'rents are my “mentors” for this. I have passed on too many pieces in the past that I now REALLY REALLY regret. A commissioned Jose Parla was <10k when I first inquired…now they are much much more. I foolishly passed on a Sugimoto photo too and now will have to sit back and watch the prices fly.

One last one is NO (or next to NO) secondary market purchases. I won’t pay those prices (eg I will buy 09 Rousseau for “normal” prices, but I am not touching CSJ or the big boys at w-s prices).

I think I will have some success this year. 2011 and 2012 burgs coming onto the market are not going to appeal as much as the 09 and 10’s. Run out of cellar space is another incentive to slow down. Perhaps I will drink less, not as robust as I would like to be…

To purchase the balance of the lot of Krug Grande Cuvee that the bottle I have on NYE came from. Consummated this resolution first thing this morning

1. Accumulate more whites - especially Euro Riesling, Alsace Gewurz, Chablis, and Loire SB & CB
  2. Buy in quantities of 2-3 instead of 4-6
  3. Figure out a long term storage solution.
  4. Let go of some mailing list wines
  5. More out of town offlines
  1. Sell some wines I have that I think have a market value well in excess of how much I like them (ex. 2000 Carruades de Lafite). Spend money on special wines.

2. Buy more older wines and fewer current releases. I am 57. Why buy current releases? Besides, in today’s wacky world one can often buy older wines for the same or lower price as younger wines.

3. Buy fewer bottles, but more special bottles. I already have too many bottles of wine so I have plenty of wine to drink.

• Chase Points
  • Ignore < $100 wines and start buying DRC at auction.
  • Offer even more authoritative opinions about things I know nothing about.
  • Stiff someone on Commerce Corner for the joy of being outed.
  • Actively belittle those with differing palate preferences.
  • Start a wineblog, dye my hair platinum blonde and pass-off (as original) atleast a hundred professional TNs.
  • Continue bashing Parker and Big Jay Miller because it’s still cool.
  • Start a retailer rant without ever trying to resolve the problem.
  • Start and inflame a train-wreck thread about a serious drinking problem and then edit/change all my posts.
  • Implement a top shelf wine bottle recycling program and investigate specialty labelling and corking services.

RT

I will be dropping off several list, and seriously reducing my buying from others. We simply buy way more wine than we will ever drink, and I seem to drink my fair share. I have almost run out of storage in a little more than a year, and I dont want to buy more storage.

Also stop buying larger quantities off my list. I have purchased 6 of a bottle only to find out we really didnt like it.

Shop more locally, I hardly even know the local wine stores as almost everything I buy comes from a list, or online. There are two fairly decent ones here and a total wine.

Investigate cheaper bottles to find more everyday drinkers.

Well done Richard. I am going to buy less but focus more on white wines (chenin and riesling). I also plan to buy a greater proportion of Italian wines and less from Oregon.

Back up my truck on all mystery wines [smileyvault-ban.gif]

1. Attempt to taste as many Burgundy producer’s entire lineup to better identify the producer’s signature vs terroir. I feel like this is something I struggle with, and the only way to gain the knowledge is to taste with more breadth.

2. Backfill with more mature bottles so I can keep my hands off newer releases. This goes hand in hand with building a balanced cellar so I can drink most things when they are ready and not because it’s all I have available.

3. Find a tasting group in Houston that would take on a new member or start a tasting group.

1. No more Bordeaux unless if it’s huge discount.
  2. More Burgundy, Piedmont, German Riesling.
  3. Less impulse buys!

drink more jura

buy more Champagne, and then hide them so I forget they’re there.