What are some (rather common) big name wines you've never had?

Good for you that there is only 1 “kind” of Krug Rose to be had :slight_smile:

Le Pin
Roumier Moose

I think these are the only ones that i haven’t had before…(that I actually want)

Had RC…(from barrel) and from bottle…but I’m fairly sure it wasn’t legit…(the bottle that is)

Not this one either: 2008 Charles Krug Winery (Peter Mondavi Family) Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé

It’s a limited release. I didn’t want to cut it short.

If that classifies as a big name…then remind me not to go drinking with you :wink:

i’ve been very lucky to have tasted a lot of great wines at my age. Of the wines that I care about that I want to taste, I haven’t had a:

any Lala’s
a Monfortino
Vega Sicilia Unico
any vintage of Krug
any DRC

would love to try a Petrus but that’s one I’m not counting on

At this point there are specific vintages that I would like to experience for reference points.

Some that come to mind:

1974 Heitz Martha’s
1947 Cheval
1968 Vega Sicilla
1996 Krug Clos de Mesnil

Name almost any of the heavy hitters from:
Bordeaux
Burgundy
Champagne
Rhone
Loire
California
Spain

Would have to think more selectively about:
Italy
Alsace
Germany

DRC RC
DRC La Tache

Well,
the question is for “names/brands/producers” - or for certain vintages?

All in all I´ve tasted every producer or wine/cuvée I really would like to taste - ( incl. Scr.Eagle [wow.gif] ) - but certainly not all vintages …
so I never had 45 Mouton, 61 La Chapelle, 47 Cheval blanc or Lafleur or 61 Latour a Pomerol … or a great 45 or older RC or LT … but I can live with that …
Sure there are still some wines I´d like to taste, like 47 Lambrays, 62 RC … any Chambertin/Dugat-Py vintage (no, not 2004!) … or simply 1979 Pegau flirtysmile -
but you cannot have everything … and I also wouldn´t move mountains to get a drop of these … I´m quite satisfied with what I had, what I have in my cellar, what I get to taste annually on my trip in France and what I serve at my tastings … [whistle.gif]

I have very little interest in most of the cult CA stuff. One of the classic vintages of Heitz Martha’s Vineyard would be interesting, however.

I’ve never had, and would be interested to try:

• DRC Romanee Conti
  • A classic vintage of Max Grunhauser Abtsberg Auslese
  • Clos Ste Hune “Hors Choix”
  • Chateau Ausone
  • 1947 Huet Le Haut Lieu Moelleux (I have 1 bottle… can’t bring myself to open it yet)
  • 1970 Vega Sicilia Unico
  • Comte Georges de Vogue Musigny VV

I’ve had most of the high-end champers mentioned (Krug, Salon, Cristal, etc) thanks to my close proximity to Brad Baker and a few other local Champagne geeks. Trying some of the crazy lumber that Ray Tuppatsch drinks would be pretty cool, but I suspect it would be lost on me.

I have also never had anything made by Yellow Tail.

Screagle
Harlan
Sine Qua Non
Chateau d’Yquem

Warning - thread drift

OMG - agreeing with Levenberg twice in a week. I celebrated my first serious job offer with an Ausone. It was $9. I remember getting a 1971 Climens for something like $6 and bringing it to a friend’s apartment in law school to eat with escargot she had been growing in a fish tank all year and feeding fresh garlic. Even with inflation, first growths should now cost $50-$75 compared to the mid 1970s. But it was still a lot of money to us then. I remember being offered some La Tache in the early 1980s and passing on it because it was more than twice what I had ever paid for a bottle of wine before.

The list is too long. I haven’t had any of these…except Krug. [cheers.gif]

DRC
Screaming Eagle
Petrus

I’ve had most of the high-end Bordeaux wines, with the exception of Petrus, Ausonne and Haut Brion. To be honest, of these three, only Haut Brion is really tempting me to fork out some cash to try it…
From the other side of the pond, I’d never had anything really special. I’d love to try Screaming Eagle, since everybody seems to like it so much. But I can’t see myself paying that kind of money for an experiment though…

I’ll play.
Hm…for the “big” names, that are still easy to acquire and I have a desire to try:

Krug NV or Vintage
Philliponnat Clos de Goisses
any Latour
L’Evangile
Chateau d’Yquem
any Chambolle Musginy Les Amoureuses (or le Musigny) !!! the one I really really want to try.

DRC Montrachet
Monfortino

Todd, you had the 1996 Krug in San Diego…but it was rather forgetable! [swearing.gif]

To modify my previous post: A lovely friend brought Krug Grande Cuvee to Christmas dinner tonight, so now I’ve tried it! Wonderful!