What are people drinking for Thanksgiving?

C45CCAA3-B2AF-46C8-A858-54A87070175D.jpeg

2008 Guy Charlemagne Champagne Grand Cru Mesnillésime Blanc de Blancs Brut, for sure, plus one of my Burgundy bottles, and likely a Ridge Zin of Jen’s choosing.

Trader Joe’s rose bubbly. They just got it back in. Not Dom or other top French bubbly but for $10 a bottle pretty darn good juice. Actually probably the best Rose bubbly they’ve ever had. No clue who makes it other than it’s “North Coast” Cali. An from Rack and Riddle.

And considering most of the family isn’t wine drinkers it’s the perfect QPR.

This year, we’re showing our gratitude with an all Sonoma list. There are so many opportunities to drink imported wine, I figure if you don’t have enough good domestic wine to enjoy some on Thanksgiving, you could try harder. But it seemed especially appropriate to have some from our recent trip. So it’s the Gundlach-Bundschu gewurz, Westwood rose of pinot noir, and Maclaren pinot noir, plus a Sonoma sparkler to be named later, possibly Iron Horse wedding cuvee.

Roederer Estate Brut Sparking Wine with anything else TBD. Hard to go wrong the Roederer.

Thanks,
Ed

Not many wine lovers coming to our friendsgiving (how am I even friends with these people??) so I’m taking it a little easy

Wife will start the drinks with a cranberry French 75
then we have Louis Bouillot Brut Rose mags
and I’ll probably give people a red choice between Dutraive Chinas 2015 and Banshee, I think most will choose Banshee

I’m thinking I might open a 2001 Drouhin Cote de Beaune for my wife and I

Turley, Williams-Selyem, and a home-brewed Belgian Golden strong ale

Cheers

It is a blend of Gamay and Poulsard.

Best thing to do with them! British wines are made from grape juice concentrate and last time tasted (1980s) utterly foul. If you see any, smash the bottle and don’t drink it, whatever the date is.

On the other hand English (and possibly also Welsh, though I’ve not tried one) wines have always been made more normally, directly from the grapes and global warming is making them much more interesting. I’ve long thought the local Norfolk weather might turn out to be very suitable (drier than most of the country) and there is now a winery on our shortest cycling ‘loop’ that is already getting good recognition. Then there are the sparkling wines in the South/South-east on chalk hills that have long been seen as having great potential. Plenty of other pockets of viticulture.

I think we’ll remain held back by local demand not being matched by international demand, much as say Switzerland and arguably the US as well - i.e. better value elsewhere because the local market is prepared to pay more than people will in overseas markets.

Regards
Ian

Well done! My early years into wine I used to spend way too much time and effort trying to figure out perfect pairings for Thanksgiving dinner. The “experts’” advice was as consistent as a politician’s adherence to campaign promises.

We now open pretty much what we want without too much worry. A Champagne and/or a white, a red or two and something sweet is par for the course. We open them all at the start and everyone grabs whatever they’re in the mood for. There are enough different dishes that something will go together well enough.

A '14 Ridge Paso Robles zin went well with an early turkey dinner last night.

Just grabbed a couple bottles from my local store. Thanks for the heads up!

1. 2012 Under the Wire Alder Springs
  2. 2008 Miniere Absolu BdB Brut
  3. 2013 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Especial
  4. Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Tawny

Which is like… what? Over the hill Bordeaux?

It’s all CA Pinot for us. And not too fancy. m

I’m thinking Realm Farella or Fairchild G3 with a long decant on either.

Probably Memento Mori and Carter’s new La Verdad

We’ve pulled all of these, not sure which will get opened. With respect to the Swan and Sojourn, if I popped those, how long of a decant would you all recommend if any?

Iron Horse Wedding Cuvee
Domaine Carneros Brut Rose
2012 Joseph Swan Sara Lee’s Vineyard PN
2010 Sojourn Gap’s Crown PN
2013 Carlisle Montafi Ranch Zin
2012 Robert Biale Aldo’s Zin
2011 Robert Biale Old Crane Ranch Zin

2006 Domaine de Montille Volnay “Les Taillepieds”

TTT