What 2022 Bordeaux are you buying?

Separate from the 2022 thread, wanted to have a conversation specifically about what you are buying in 2022. :sweat_smile:

It’s a birth year for my daughter, so looking for a combination of things to lay down. Most, if not all, of the wine will likely be enjoyed by her parents but I like the idea of having some bottles to gift at 21 or 30.

My sweet spot in the past few years has been Canon, Lynch Bages, Brane Cantenac. Relative value matter to me and I am considering (but not sold) on splurging for 1-2 first growths since the year is special to me.

Starting this thread now because some reviews are out but prices/offers have not yet been released. So, what are you purchasing (or planning to purchase)? :grin:

3 Likes

Brane has been my every year purchase, but if they increase pricing by 30% that will change…

2 Likes

It depends a lot on pricing. I will be a lot more selective if my usual favorites (Montrose, LCHB, Brane Centenac, DDC, etc.) end up being 30% more expensive.

Without pricing its hard to say for sure, but likely Canon, Carmes, maybe some Suduiraut. Dont plan on splashing too big, but if you’re thinking of splurging on top end wines, in your shoes I dont think you’d go far wrong with a case of Cheval Blanc, or 1 each of VCC and Eglise maybe. Of course, if you’re coming frmo the angle of “price is less relevant as its for sentimental reasons”, then I’d just get the opinion of Jeff/William/etc on what they thought was spectacular

If you asked me to assemble a parcel, I’d probably be looking at… Carmes, Canon, Clinet, Larcis Ducasse, Rauzan Segla, not sure which Pauillac off hand, Montrose, Leoville as a starting point perhaps?

1 Like

Agree on pricing. Not to go off topic, but 2019 Brane has been available at decent prices. I grabbed a few this spring.

Waiting to see pricing. Likely to buy VCC and Montrose.

5 Likes

Most likely a little bit of Brane-Cantenac and Giscours.

2 Likes

Great question- if it was my kid, based on my personal EP tasting and expected mid palate then it comes down to price… do you have a budget? Looking to go wide or deep or…?

Ping me offline if you have questions on your wines from ‘22.

1 Like

For me, in the past I have gone wide, but for the birth year I’d rather have 1 bottle of something spectacular than 2-3 still good but not as amazing bottles. But when it comes to 3-6 bottles of something like Canon vs 1 bottle of a first growth, I’d probably do the former. At the end of the day, I’m intending to drink/share these wines and am not focused on maximizing financial returns.

2 Likes

My little girl was born in 2022 as well.

Bordeaux has never been the center of my wine drinking and collecting, but since its age worthy, i’m eager to follow the advice of the many passionate connoisseurs.

I never fell in love with Bordeaux but i would still like to let her taste many fine examples when she comes of age.

Being life a funny humorist, once they’re adult most likely will not drink wine!

More for us then

:cheers:

2 Likes

I am guessing less than 4 case equivalents all for drinking. One will definitely be half bottles from likely Margeaux. I have really enjoyed Siran and it will be easy to convince me to continue that purchase.

I don’t see myself purchasing any standard bottles but I will be watching pricing and will likely change my mind.

I’ll be watching

du Retout (might purchased standards here. EP pricing for early drinking has been quite solid. Great large gathering wine)
Talbot (seems to have had a solid jump in quality and retail pricing has been high compared to EP)
Siran
Chevalier (expect to purchase magnums)
Chevalier Blanc (if released will also look at second wine)
Couvent de Jacobins (I have really enjoyed 2018 onward and think it is a great value)
Dry whites under $50 - pricing in the past has pointed to EP purchase verses buy when wanted but with the WK statement on them as a whole I expect to sit them out.

1 Like

I’m leaning toward just tucking away my spending allocation in an interest bearing account

3 Likes

Except for the odd formats, yes.

Canon, Carmes, Montrose look solid so far.
Also looking at Rauzan, Clinet, GPL/Pichon Baron (depending on reviews, if the splurge is worth it), Troplong, LeoBarton/Poyferre (review dependent as well), and DDC. Usually try to spread out//not go too heavily in one appellation.

3 Likes

I’ve purchased some '19/'20/'21, but I think I’m going to focus more on back vintages finally. Nothing pulling me into buying immediately for '22 unless I can get a 20%+ discount via cash back site on something quality.

2 Likes

Birth year for my first. It will certainly depend on pricing.

2 Likes

Exactly the same, likely to buy ep on the first three. Next three depends on price, but likely to wait on some combination and interest in verticals ranging from rauzan, ddc, gpl, leoville.

FWIW, half bottles are harder to come by these days. Glass producers are not making as many bottles, and corks for that size are harder to obtain as well. Plus, a lot of producers do not like to provide them. This is not for all chateaux of course, but it is a general feeling these days that half bottles are a lot of trouble. So, be careful when ordering them.

3 Likes

@Jeff_Leve good to know on splits. I like getting e few mags (and 3L for birth years) since there is no premium on these en premier. But if they are going away I’m actually tempted to order more. Or at least a few half’s to track development early while the big bottles sleep.

On Montrose - I had the 2005 last year and it was a baby but just what I’m looking for. I’m worried about style change at the estate. Are newer vintages like the 2022 (or the recent 2020) on par with the 05, and any feelings on aging the current style? I feel like the Bordeaux estates are often like Fortune 500 stocks. We have our favorites, but it’s dangerous to assume past performance accurately predicts the current/future vintage longevity.