Weirdo and oddball grapes

Hey Jay, I brought not one, but two different expressions of Wetumka to recent tastings. Y U No Mention that?

Foglia Tonda is probably my most oddball variety. I understand that it is usually a blending grape in Italy, but the agriturismo that my family stayed at a few years ago bottled it as a varietal. I think it’s delicious, but some of that may be nostalgia.

Lagrein is grown here at several sites. (We sourced it from two.) There should be well over ten producers in California, plus at least one in Oregon. We also made Alvarelhao.

Susumaniello is one of the few dozen varieties Bryan Harrington brought in. Don’t know if it’s been planted, yet. (Iirc, same for Trepat.) Seyval Blanc is common in New York.

That may be the case, but I have certainly never seen it in the market from domestic producers. I’ve seen exactly two producers from Italy in the last 5 years in Atlanta. We do tend to be more of a wine desert based on our share of the US wine consumption.

That was not vitis vinifera and I was not referring to a liquid that mistakenly believed it was wine. :slight_smile: The Port was awful. The stuff last time was respectable. Some might even say that it was good.

So Otto - How about Ocelot? There are three bottles in Cellartracker, one of which is mine, one of which is owned by someone in Brescia, Italy and the third one is owned by someone who appears to own even weirder wines than I do.

#pedant

So, Wetumka is not a “weirdo and oddball grape”?

Thy precision in language slippeth, old bean!

Since you mentioned Ocelot:

How do you Titillate an Ocelot?

Oscillate its tit a lot!

Merlot Blanc? I’ve only seen it once and only in a blend. Chateau Vieux Taillefer has a blend that is majority Merlot Blanc.

1 Like

And Southern Oregon making amazing wine. @Frank_Murray_III dragged this home from a visit. Excellent.

2 Likes

Caberlot? Is anyone making it besides Il Carnasciale?

Outside of Italy, and specifically Tuscany, not so much.

I like some of those French Hybrids like Baco Noir, Niagara, and Chambourcin that we see on the East Coast.

I never know the line where it is considered rare, but Ciliegiolo is a less common grape that I am very fond of.

Timorasso has become pretty famous I think, so that probably doesn’t count, but I open Timorasso very regularly.

I nearly opened a Pignolo today, I am fond of them, but don’t really drink them much.

And lastly, Pelaverga is another grape that I have become very intrigued by in recent times.

2 Likes

I have a Seyval Blanc from Pennsylvania. There was a tasting room in Jim Thorpe, PA. We went in. They were so enthusiastic about the wine that we felt sorry for them because it was terrible. We bought a bottle as our charitable contribution for the day. I think that I still have it. It was a decade or more ago. We still have it.

Isn’t it really like White Zinfandel. The same grape as regular merlot but just pressed immediately and the skin removed so it comes out pink. Silver Springs Winery - where they made the Blueberry Bliss that someone brought to a Berserkerfest - makes a white merlot with post-vinification sugar added. They had one that was 60 gms/liter of sugar. My aunt loved it! Here it is on their website.

1 Like

Looking at what I have in the cellar and we’ve had last year -

Picpoul Noir, Zenit, Cserszegi Fűszeres, Cabernet Pfeffer, Erbano, Albarin (not Albarino), Irsai Olivér, Terret, Maturana, Espadeiro, Caiño Tinto, Alcañón, Marselan, Douce Noir, Chardonel, Vignole, Norton.

I’m sure there are some others - we’ve been having a number of Italian and Greek wines lately but that’s from a cursory look.

My recollection is that it is a white grape and actually a cross between Merlot and Folle Blanche. Just a layperson, so maybe someone more knowledgeable has more detail.

Big respect Otto for tasting through that many varietals —
Only ‘oddball’ grape in my cellar is Romorantin, Shokoshi and Aramon.

Romorantin I’ve tried and own is from Cailloux du Paradis, and Clos du tue Boeuf.
Shokoshi I own is from Hirotake Ooka.
Aramon is blended into wines from L’Anglore, so no idea how it is clean.

Cab Pfeffer may be a grape Otto has tried twice. It is actually Mourtaou from Southwest France. Like Petit Sirah is to Durif, Cab Pfeffer might have more in plantings now in the New World than the Old World.

And Girardet’s Baco Noirs would also qualify for this discussion.

1 Like

And I am a late comer to the wines of Georgia - so discovering grapes like ‘Tsitska’ is just mind blowing -