Weekly Beer Tasting / Educational threads

ok guys, i’m locked and loaded for our tasting!

Michelob “Shock Top” Belgian White (leftovers that somebody brought to my party last weekend)
The Bruery - “Orchard White”
Erdinger - Hefeweizen
Schneider Weisse - Hefeweizen (this better be good; it was $4 for a pint)
Paulaner - Hefeweizen

Dominik’s sangria…awwwww man, that stuff ROCKS!!

I know, right!?! It’s torture thinking about it and knowing I can’t just walk out my door and be there in 15 minutes. pileon

Especially on a day like today. A mason jar full would hit the spot right now.

My wife and I tried a Schneider Weisse last week (also $4/pt). Didn’t take notes, but thoroughly enjoyed and could drink it regularly. Too steep for me to keep on hand, though.

very cool. i hope i feel the same way about it.

scott,
yes! yes it would. it’s a tad bit steamy here in culver city today. first beer is about ta get cracked right now … probaby a racer. [berserker.gif]

Do not know how many Wheats I will be able to contribute drinking (stomach flu making the rounds in our household), but will be happy to contribute past impressions and meaningless trivia/historical babble.

Chances are pretty good I’ll be emptying one at some point this summer. You want me to save the can and ship it to you? They are actually reusable. When Bell’s first started doing them, they had local college kids fill them by hand in exchange for samples and schwag, so I’m sure there is some way to do it with a beer of your choice. Home brewers use them as well. I’m sure you could find someone to help you make it your own personal growler and get some pleasure out of it.

[worship.gif] that would be simply awesome! thanks, matt. [thankyou.gif]

[quote=“Jason Hagen”]

Even better. The Hollywood store has it listed in stock.{/quote]

Pliny ordered. It’s coming from Redwood City, but hopefully be there next week when I go pick up everything else.

Dude! Hold up! When does this get started? Need to go get some bottles…you guys pretty much covered it all. I’ll get some East Coast stuff that I haven’t seen mentioned:

Tröegs DreamWeaver Wheat Ale
Smuttynose Summer Weizen

Among others. When are we officially starting?

I’ll try to pick something up for this, this weekend. I’ll peruse the list so far and head to Hi-Times or other.

I believe we are officially starting tomorrow … of course, if you were to start tonight but post tomorrow, we wouldn’t ever know now, would we? [wink.gif]

The way Jorge handles his liquor, he won’t know either. neener

That’s not what you whispered tenderly in my ear, sweetie.

[rofl.gif] [welldone.gif]

loltastic!

I’m lining up Jolly Pumpkin and Hitachino for Saturday/Sunday. We’ll see what the rest of the week brings.

I think it will be fun to read tasting notes early in the week then hunt down Wits that sound good for further, personal examination. Really looking forward to this!

So I take it that either Peter or Brian will start a separate thread with the designated style as the title right?

Here are the BJCP guidelines for the major Wheat Beers categories.

Wheat beers generally fall into three categories,
Belgian Wit Beers (Style 16A)
German Weizen (Style 15A)
American Wheat Beer (Style 6D)

Here’s what Wikipedia says. I’m assuming that we’ll treat lambics and other sour beers separately, as we will other styles with a relatively small percentage of wheat malt in the grist.

I’m headed to Portland today for a tasting and will pick up a few. I’m particularly interested in trying other Weizens, and will probably taste them blind against my own.

I think this would be a good idea. I’ll start one.